Rustic-Fisher

Kicker motor and Led lighting advice

We’re gonna keep the rig I had listed , she’s a beast and replacement is insane with the new tariffs ( was looking at fish and skis , new) any one looking to buy , do it now with the current inventory.

Heres what I’d like to do , boat was rated for a 150hp , one reason I went with the 115 merc CT was that I was hoping to add a small kicker .  The boat is 20’ 7” and a modified V , I’m thinking a 9.9 hp ? 

Also , I’m planning on adding a few light bars on the bow to make those early morning duck blind trips manageable. Is there a way I could add these and just use the existing 24v trolling motor outlet ?  Save me a ton of wiring . 

Boat runs off a 3 bank charging sys , I should be ok .

Appriciate any feed back !

Thanks 

Ryan

5336EAD9-F3B5-47D1-963B-5071B2C932CC.jpeg

8hp or 9.9 is perfect. Either one will give all the thrust you need.  Honestly you could probably get by with a 6, but most 6's are one lungers and way louder than the twin cylinders.   Can't help you with the lighting.  Nice boat!

Edited by porkpie

any LED you are going to purchase will be 12 volts. Since your power line to your trolling motor is 24, I dont think you will be able to use that power supply line without blowing up your lights? (correct me if I am wrong)

I am guessing that your Bow light has a line running to it though, you could definitely just tap into that power source for an easy fix. LED's and a bow light would never draw enough to cause you any issues.

Personally, I don't like the LED light bars. They are too bright, and just blind everything except where they shine. IF you need to see something to the side of the boat, good luck, you are blind from the LED bars. They also spook every bird in the marsh. I'm not a fan at all. 

I've tried all the lights there is when it comes to duck hunting, and the best, for me, is a 5 million candle power spot light that plugs into the boat. It only shines where I want to see, and it never dies. I've been let down by every kind of rechargeable spotlight there is. I won't waste my money on any more of them.

For the most part, I like to run with just running lights and a head lamp, but the spot light is used for some navigation here and there, and is always kept within arms reach. Its nice to find distant marker buoys, or long distance landmarks. A quick flash of the light is all thats needed. 

S. 

Edited by Sinker
  • Like 1

Thanks Guys,

9.9 it is ,  agree the hand held spotlight is the way to sneak in . Boat has a dedicated area for the leds so I'm gonna slap em in . More for evening/night time fishes. Now just gotta find a s pot for riggers (for those flat days on the big lake)

Appreciate the feedback

Merc makes a dedicated 9.9 kicker (pro kicker). Its got the bigfoot (HD) lower unit and a high thrust prop.  COmes in a  tiller or remote.

I bought mine at Bass Pro during a February sale, saved something like $800.. They do the full  PDI and demo as well.  no one else could touch it.. buying power I guess.

Regarding the lights, you'll have to run them off your cranking battery which is fine if its healthy and sized accordingly.  I don't have any experience with bar lights but I have LEDs in the box of my truck and they're perfect for what you need. Still wont' replace a hand held but handy none the less.

PM me if you need any tips running the kicker, etc.

Edited by KraTToR

Red LED lights work great and don't give you night blindness. If you're using two 12V batteries for your 24V troller that doesn't mean you can't wire your lights to one side for 12V!