Minn Kota Terrova Size for Princecraft Resorter BT

Spanky80

I will be ordering a 2019 Princecraft Resorter DL BT (tiller) with a 40HP EFI this winter (or buying a 2018 leftover), and will be putting a Minn Kota Terrova on the bow.  The boat is 16’ long.

I’m unsure if I should buy the 12V 55lb Terrova or go with the 80lb 24V Terrova?  Other than the 12V / 24V option, I am concerned about shaft length up on the bow; the 55lb is only available in a 54” shaft length, while the 80lb is available in 60”.

Does anyone own this boat or know anyone that does and could provide a suggestion?

Thanks gang!

you definitely wont have an issue with 54" on that boat.

I personally have ran a 55lb on my tinner and a 16 foot smokercraft and trust me on this, you basically will always want more power. 

I personally hate underpowered trolling motors, they not only drain your batteries quicker, they also dont allow yourself to get out of harry situations when the wind is blowing. i like having full control and power available to get myself out of trouble when i need to.

Go 24v and never second guess yourself again.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

I had a 17 foot Smokercraft ( 16' 8" ) that was also had a 73 inch beam, side console though. A 55 pound thrust cable steer bow mount, 12 volt, with as I recall a 52 inch shaft length.

Under most conditions it was adequate, but high side boats do have issues with the wind, and the waters you fish are also a factor. On Lake Erie my electric motor would frequently be spinning in the breeze with the wave action and wakes from passing boats.

If I was going to do it again? A 60 inch 24v.

Edited by OhioFisherman

what types of bodies of water do you fish?  rivers? great lakes? or small cottage lakes?  it's only a 600lb boat plus motor.   is there room for two deep cycles without sacrficing too much?

the 55lb will pull it around no problem.  the 80lb is insurance.

Edited by Raf

I think the 60" shaft is over kill for that boat.  Even a 54" inch shaft is on the long side for that boat.  I have a 54" inch shaft on my Princecraft Holiday DLX; there are times when I wished I had gone with the 48" shaft.  I wouldn't recommend the 60" even if you do go with 24v.

The 55lb will be adequate for most situations; but more power is never a bad thing.  Is there battery storage for 24v system?  I when with a 12v system for my boat because the battery compartment was designed for a single battery.  If you have room for an extra battery, then I would go with 24v.  If not, the 12v will be fine for most fishing conditions.

9 hours ago, John Bacon said:

I think the 60" shaft is over kill for that boat.  Even a 54" inch shaft is on the long side for that boat.  I have a 54" inch shaft on my Princecraft Holiday DLX; there are times when I wished I had gone with the 48" shaft.  I wouldn't recommend the 60" even if you do go with 24v.

The 55lb will be adequate for most situations; but more power is never a bad thing.  Is there battery storage for 24v system?  I when with a 12v system for my boat because the battery compartment was designed for a single battery.  If you have room for an extra battery, then I would go with 24v.  If not, the 12v will be fine for most fishing conditions.

^ these are pretty much my thoughts. The 60" shaft is really long. Mine is 48 and its plenty long on my deep and wide 16footer. My 12v 55lb runs forever, but I run it off 2 batteries. Its plenty of power really. The only time I'd want more power is if I want to troll faster with it. Right now I can run 2 mph. For regular boat maneuvering it has plenty of Jam....even in big winds. 

S. 

Just like everyone above., you’ll be fine with the 55 but may want the 80 later on.

if I wasnpersoanlly ordering this, I would probably go 55 but something tells me I would regret it down the toad. Lol 

mans yeah, the 50” shaft option will be enough. 

I have an older "pro series" 162 BT. With a newer 40hp etec. I didn't even consider 12v and managed to find a lightly used 70 lb 42" shaft. Happy with the power. 42" is a little short sometimes. I think 48" would be perfect. Only real issue I came across is battery storage. One battery up front leaves a little room for storage. Two just fit and really weigh the bow down. I put my batteries midship right behind the casting deck and extended the deck a foot to hide them.  Bottom line, go 24V 48".  Whatever the smallest thrust available is likely all you need. You might need to get creative with storage. I definitely like having the front hatch empty to store ropes, rod holders bumpers, etc. Lots of room up there if the batteries are somewhere else.

Great suggestions guys.

I live in the Ottawa River near Petawawa, and primarily fish there until June, then I hit the local lakes, mostly bass and walleye.  I will be using the Terrova for anchoring and trolling.  I had a 80lb 24V Terrova on my previous boat, a Stratos 285XL, and wondered if that same electric would have been overkill on the Resorter.  I do agree that having more is better than "just enough", and a 24V setup would provide lots of insurance on this boat.

I quickly looked at the front storage on a Resorter at my dealer, and it appears that two batteries will fit in there (and hopefully a 2-bank Minn Kota charger).

Correction to my original question:  The 80lb 24V Terrova is available in a 45" or 60" shaft length...is 45" too short?

Thanks again folks.

Edited by Spanky42

1 hour ago, BillM said:

60in or bust.  The first time you're in choppy waters trying to stay on a spot but can't because the motor is out of the water, you'll curse getting the shorter shaft.

I hear you, but 60" is a lot of shaft to deal with when the motor isn't in the water. It makes mounting harder, because you have to account for that super long shaft on the bowmount. Mine is 48, and my boat is deep. I have never had an issue with rough water with mine. It will pop out of the water the odd time on a big breaking wave, but for the most part its fine. A 60" would be a pain in the arse to deal with when its not deployed.  The boat he has isn't a very big boat. Narrower than mine, and not as deep. 

S. 

I run an 80lb terrova with 60 inch shaft on a super deep Starcraft 18 footer that weighs 3000lb.  It does the job and even using it as an auto pilot while trolling in rough water on Erie I seldom have too much of the motor out of the water that it makes it ineffective.  My boat is a kite with a ton of freeboard.  There are times I am sure when a 100lb thrust min Kota would be nice, but for most of the water I fish of the wind was blowing that hard I probably wouldn't be standing up front jigging because I'd be darn near tossed out of the boat.  Give the the weight of the boat you mentioned, I'm pretty sure a 55lb thrust with a 54 inch shaft would do just about everything you need it to.

I had an 80# ... 60" Fortrex on my Skeeter and it's definitely a long shaft and for sure could be too much to store on a 16 footer. In the 5-6 years I had the boat I always had at least a foot of shaft sticking up and never had an issue working in rough water but for sure it's nice if needed.

7410894000_d43bb34596_b.jpg

Biggest issue as Sinker pointed out is the room it takes up when not being used.

My boat was nearly 19' and this pic will give you an idea.

006_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Sinker said:

I hear you, but 60" is a lot of shaft to deal with when the motor isn't in the water. It makes mounting harder, because you have to account for that super long shaft on the bowmount. Mine is 48, and my boat is deep. I have never had an issue with rough water with mine. It will pop out of the water the odd time on a big breaking wave, but for the most part its fine. A 60" would be a pain in the arse to deal with when its not deployed.  The boat he has isn't a very big boat. Narrower than mine, and not as deep. 

S. 

I hear ya.  It definitely does depend on how it's mounted.   We ran a 55in on our 15ft Legend and it was out of the way when stored, 60in on the Lund, same thing.   If he can get away with a 55 or less, save some $$$.

Here is something else to consider, after looking at the pictures of that boat, my rear splash guard was deeper. I could have my fuel tank end to the stern and it was completely under it, there was a snap on cover for the opening.

I was able to fit the fuel tank and 3 batteries in the rear of the boat, although that boat looks lighter? A couple of 12 volt batteries mounted up front for an 80 pound thrust motor might be an issue?

My boat came with the trolling motor battery mounted up front, my livewell was also up front, it was under powered to begin with and having the battery up front with the live well  full made performance more of an issue.

15 hours ago, Spanky42 said:

Correction to my original question:  The 80lb 24V Terrova is available in a 45" or 60" shaft length...is 45" too short?

Thanks again folks.

I think the 45" should work. 

I ran a 42" shaft on an Alumacraft Lunker V16 Ltd for several years.  That was a little short; but you'd have a 3" longer shaft on a boat that is a bit shallower.  That should keep the prop in the water in rough water.  With a 45" shaft on a 29" deep boat, you should be able to put the prop shaft 16" below the bottom of the boat.  That should keep the prop in the water in a pretty good chop.   

If you fish shallows with a 60" shaft your going to have to have the motor about three feet above the bow deck to keep it off the bottom.  

14 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Here is something else to consider, after looking at the pictures of that boat, my rear splash guard was deeper. I could have my fuel tank end to the stern and it was completely under it, there was a snap on cover for the opening.

I was able to fit the fuel tank and 3 batteries in the rear of the boat, although that boat looks lighter? A couple of 12 volt batteries mounted up front for an 80 pound thrust motor might be an issue?

My boat came with the trolling motor battery mounted up front, my livewell was also up front, it was under powered to begin with and having the battery up front with the live well  full made performance more of an issue.

Keep in mind this boat is a tiller, so a gas tank and 2 batteries, plus the operator is a lot of weight at the stern of the boat.  I keep my batteries about 1/3 of the way to the bow of my boat, on the port side, opposite of where I sit to run the tiller. Two 31DC Batteries are pushing 150lbs. Where I have them, they don't get pounded in waves, but they aren't so far back that they add too much weight at the stern.  My fuel tank is on the opposite side, just forward of my seat. 

S. 

• Like 1

I had a 55lbs on my Princecraft Pro165 I just changed it this year for a Terrova 80lbs. And it is much better than the 55 was. Yes the 80 doesn't come with the shorter shaft like I had on the 55 but I can deal with it easily. You'll love the extra thrust and the Spot Lock is an amazing tool. 

I had a 55# motor guide on my 16 foot legend, I changed to 80# terrova this year with 60" shaft. I don't find the shaft to long, or getting in the way. If its installed correctly it sits along the gunwale so it won't interfere with the deck area. 

55# was not enough for my boat in any kind of wind. The 80# makes such a difference, you can get out of rocky shores, or docks, or bars, so you don't crash in windy weather. not to mention spot lock with it is amazing.