new to fly fishing

lureme

27 minutes ago, lureme said:

Took some casting courses and basics so ready to try this out. Does anyone have any descent areas to get me started  close to Hamilton  area?

as much as its awesome to try and re-create "A river runs through it"

The best thing I ever did for my casting and abilities was to go to a dock and catch pike on the fly.

1. Theres no trees to get your casts stuck in everywhere

2. You can make horrible casts without getting snagged on everything around you.

3. You can really practice your double haul and lengthening how far you can cast

4. pike especially snot rockets are easy as hell to catch, they will teach you how to actually land those trout when you finally get on them.

5. Line management is easy standing on a piece of wood vs in a river where the current pulls your line or the grass grabs it. 

Give it a go...it makes dock fishing way more interesting and your casting will improve so fast youll surprise even yourself.

If you really want to try your hand at river run trout..the Grand is the closest thing to you, but dont overlook the credit river or the eramosa, both hold lots of fish, its just much harder to figure out where to start.

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

as much as its awesome to try and re-create "A river runs through it"

The best thing I ever did for my casting and abilities was to go to a dock and catch pike on the fly.

1. Theres no trees to get your casts stuck in everywhere

2. You can make horrible casts without getting snagged on everything around you.

3. You can really practice your double haul and lengthening how far you can cast

4. pike especially snot rockets are easy as hell to catch, they will teach you how to actually land those trout when you finally get on them.

5. Line management is easy standing on a piece of wood vs in a river where the current pulls your line or the grass grabs it. 

Give it a go...it makes dock fishing way more interesting and your casting will improve so fast youll surprise even yourself.

If you really want to try your hand at river run trout..the Grand is the closest thing to you, but dont overlook the credit river or the eramosa, both hold lots of fish, its just much harder to figure out where to start.

When I first started out, I bought a cheap combo. I started out in the front yard. Ya, it,s right along the main rd here. LOL Got many a stares.  Once I was comfortable, I went to the local streams and creeks. Thats where I ended up going home beaten. Not as easy as one thinks.  I jumped on you tube and watched hours of fly fishing videos. Learned the rol cast, the side arm flick cast.  Then back I went back to said creeks and got my confidence back. No fly pro by no means, but each outing, I improve. Now into tying my own fly's. This is something that makes the art so much more enjoyable and gratifying IMO. 

Last word

Google maps is your friend. 

I'm a member of the Hamilton Fly Fishing Club - we have a bass trip on the 29th if you're interested, plenty of good fly fisherman to help get you started

The link in my sig should get you to the website, PM me if you want more info

Cheers,

Richard

• 1 month later...

I second hiring a guide. The learning curve will be decreased very rapidly and you will have a lot more confidence in your approach. The local fly shops are a great resource and there are some really great independent guides in this area too. 

In my opinion the best thing you can do if you interested in river fishing is to start with bass. Trout can be super snobby and picky and steelhead...well sometimes they just arent there. Since your in the Hamilton area the middle Grand is the PERFECT place to learn some basics. Theres good fishing from Brantford to Cambridge. 

Grab some basic wooly bugger flies and practice casting upstream.  Let the fly sink to the bottom (use weight if needed) and experiment with slow and fast retrieves. You really cant go wrong!

Have fun and welcome to one of the most pleasant ways to fish.

Nick