Simple 2" square tubing for trailer extension?

Raycaster

Got back from Lake St. Clair and launching from Jeanettes Creek finally pushed me to think of improving my boat trailer as I'm tired of getting wet and struggling in low water launches.

I have a pontoon boat and built my retrofitted tandem trailer for the boat with great success (or so it seemed).

Basically I need a "CLIFF" boat launch for smooth launches as the boat sits high on the trailer.

I could adjust the bunk brackets down maybe 2" but I think the simple solution is a 6' extension just used for launches, not travel.

My idea was a simple 6' 2" square tube with 6" doubled up for ball height and the peg holes drilled in the other end for the truck receiver.

THIS IS NOT A TRAVEL HITCH, JUST USED FOR LAUNCHES. I have read that it will put a lot stress on hitches but mines pretty solid.

Probably a hassle on and off but way better then having the truck 3/4 into each lake!

Under $100 for metal at Princess Auto I think, will have to look around.

DIYHitch.jpg

Like you said there will be a lot of stress on the extension bar at the trucks receiver. 

I'm thinking if you were to put a joint in the bar; which will allow the bar to move up and down. That should take care of the possible bending of the bar at the receiver end.

Dan.

DIYHitch.jpg.dc5b32bb21fb0ffb2403de354df1d710.jpg

Why not make a retractable sleeve over your existing trailer tongue?

Your only talking 6" Those heavy duty locking pins will hold for towing as well. No dif then a swing hitch.

Untitled.png

Edited by misfish

2 hours ago, Raycaster said:

How about this?

I can leave my hitch on this way and have 2 swivel points.

Those ball clamps hold pretty tight right? No chance if disengaging if locked?

boatex3.jpg

Nope, the rear attachment would likely drop to the ground, has to have the rear point stay up, you need that pin connection DadD originally posted.

On 7/25/2018 at 11:15 AM, DanD said:

Like you said there will be a lot of stress on the extension bar at the trucks receiver. 

I'm thinking if you were to put a joint in the bar; which will allow the bar to move up and down. That should take care of the possible bending of the bar at the receiver end.

Dan.

DIYHitch.jpg.dc5b32bb21fb0ffb2403de354df1d710.jpg

Wouldn't that cause the trailer tongue to sit on the ground?  I think that he needs a rigid bar to hold the tongue off the ground.

If he added a pivot then I think he would also need to add a wheel to suppor the tongue.  The trailer jack may work, but their wheels are usually pretty small. 

Edited by John Bacon