Ontario fires

Headhunter

1 hour ago, Rich Clemens said:

I've seen a couple Facebook posts from groups in the area recommending coming up 11 to north bay, then taking 17 west towards Sudbury.   Will add maybe 45-60 minutes depending on where you are going.  May be a small price to pay vs. getting all the way up there and the  have to find an alternative route

yup. turn left at Verner and yer back on 64. Takes you right past Lakair ;) was thinking of Totem in a couple of weeks but guess that's now on hold. 

We were in the Otter Bay & Five Finger area last week and we could see and smell the smoke at times but, IMO, was quite tolerable.---blue haze in the dist and intermittent smell depending on wind direction.

Today would not be one of the better days though

fire1.jpg

Edited by SirCranksalot

its breaking up a little as rain tends to when it hits very very dry land. The land literally evaporates the moisture out of the atmosphere. At least one good thing is that areas just to the south like britt, pointe au baril and byng inlet are getting some of the rain. Although this fire is concerning, what was scaring the hell out of me was the possibility that another fire could spark in the region which would require the resources from Parry Sound 33 to have to start fighting another fire. That's the last thing that area needs. 

When you observe the radar closely, you can really see how dry the stretch between pointe au baril and the french river is dry as a bone...you can literally see the rain evaporating in that stretch as soon as it hits the land.

Hope it's nowhere near as bad as it was here in 2014.

The only road South was closed for long stretches due to smoke and fires near the road.

At one point a dozer crew had to run for their lives when the fire front came blasting through at 40+ MPH.

It was so hot it melted the asphalt where it crossed the road.

smoke.jpg  

When it finally rained this is what fell from the sky.

10582789_948961645130175_8503613588241356750_o.jpg

Stopped by Buddy's property today and see a livestock trailer parked outside Dunnville ON. His son and family evacuated the area of the French and could only bring the Family, 2 dogs and 6 Calves from the farm. They may have lost their home and 80 acre farm and 100 livestock. He is a mess. They are staying in a pop up. We read and hear of these things on the radio and TV but never think it can have happen to those we care about. He is one of our hard working farmers and has no idea what to do or the fate of his liveststock. All the help lines give a busy signal. What a cluster jamb. I can't imagine what I would do in the same situation, can't fathom it. A real time nightmare.

26 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

The latest reports seem to say  that the crews are gradually getting it under control 

Those guys & gals have been busting their butts non-stop for a couple weeks now and doing an outstanding job bringing that blaze under control.

Edited by lew

A co-worker of mine was a smoke jumper when he was younger. Aside from the danger factor, pretty much the whole summer is gone, it's spent working, long shifts, away from home.

In a busy summer, the money he earned was less than I expected too.

He said his last summer, he was sitting in a bog, getting destroyed by mosquitoes, soaked in sweat waiting for a helicopter for hours, and he just said "to hell with this crap" 

1 hour ago, chris.brock said:

He said his last summer, he was sitting in a bog, getting destroyed by mosquitoes, soaked in sweat waiting for a helicopter for hours, and he just said "to hell with this crap" 

What's not to like?? Sounds pretty easy compared to portaging in to a 'back lake' to find trout. Just ask your friend  the Bogerman!! ??

It looks likethey are gradually getting it under control. Must be brutally hot out there on a day like today. They must hose each other down occasionally!?

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/fighting-hard-excellent-progress-made-on-parry-sound-33-fire-even-on-a-hot-weekend-1006747

Edited by SirCranksalot

1 hour ago, leaf4 said:

Hopefully the rain we're getting in the GTA is also making it's way up North and helping things out up with the firefighting efforts

the area that had the fire received rain the last two days, it wasnt enough to do a ton, but it didnt hurt, especially sunday during the wicked storm that rolled through, they got a very very heavy downpour for a good half an hour. 

Lets continue to hope for more rain, areas to the south i.e. britt, pointe au baril, skerryvore, shawanaga are still extremely dry...as is the entire area to the north at the french...we need like a week of rain up there to reset. The extreme fire danger may not leave until the fall to be honest.