Ontario fires

Headhunter

What area of the French were you in? We were a bit W of Woseley Bay(Gee, I wish they'd give those area lake names--they really are lakes!!i

pic from yesterday

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=h&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.18210.1843.LakeHuron.143.250m.jpg

Edited by SirCranksalot

21 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

What area of the French were you in? We were a bit W of Woseley Bay(Gee, I wish they'd give those area lake names--they really are lakes!!i

pic from yesterday

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=h&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.18210.1843.LakeHuron.143.250m.jpg

I was in Wolseley Bay. Thanks for the link, can visibly see the smoke. 

Edited by Dan668

Man the smoke was pretty good on a stretch of 69 today. Saw some helos based in a field in Britt, guessing they were for monitoring, didn't see any buckets. If the winds keep coming in from the bay, can't see how 69 stays open much longer since it was only 6kms from the asphalt today.

9 hours ago, woodenboater said:

Man the smoke was pretty good on a stretch of 69 today. Saw some helos based in a field in Britt, guessing they were for monitoring, didn't see any buckets. If the winds keep coming in from the bay, can't see how 69 stays open much longer since it was only 6kms from the asphalt today.

probably didnt see the choppers with the buckets because they were out fighting the fires! Britt has become the new base for fighting them. A local farmer donated his fields for the effort. Its crazy to think of how close all of this is, i snowmobile through this area all of the time...so sad.

It was very smokey on Saturday when i arrived. I went straight home. I cancelled two weeks worth of bookings and lost my deposit. One on Wolseley Bay, the other on the West Arm. My dad has a heart condition so I'm sure it's not good for him. Trying to salvage the second week, calling everywhere, difficult as it's a long weekend. 

The air quality statement is still up, winds still from the SW so smoke will continue. They just issued an evaluation alert for the town of Alban today, thats the lower french. Fires still out of control so who knows. 

Edited by Dan668

I mentioned earlier that my daughter is heading up thru that area in 11 days and she's joining us on the West Arm of Nippissing which isn't too far from the fire area. Keeping fingers crossed that they get everything under control soon.

Not concerned about the fire reaching that far but the heavy smoke can be miserable.

I live in the Kawarthas and remember a few years back we had a very heavy smell of smoke here and it turns out it was coming from fires all the way over in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

41 minutes ago, wkrp said:

Planning to go to Wolsley Bay on the weekend. Does anyone have specific info on the conditions there?

ya...id be looking to go elsewhere

southwest winds this weekend too, you will be in for a miserable time. If you can even get there with the pending evacuation.

Edited by AKRISONER

16 minutes ago, Rodnreel said:

My property is on Hartley Bay rd.  

Mandatory evacuation this morning.  There is potential that they shut down the highway later today due to heavy smoke.  

I was there this past weekend, and the air quality was terrible.

all the best to you man...i couldnt imagine, im worried enough down in Pointe Au Baril...were all hoping for rain.

27 minutes ago, Rodnreel said:

Mandatory evacuation this morning. 

Yeah, best of luck for you & your place, lousy situation to be in and hopefully it all works out for you guys in the area.

I guess if they shut down 69 the only alternative will be way over to 11 and cut thru North Bay ?

On 7/24/2018 at 12:14 PM, AKRISONER said:

some of the footage of the water bombers sweeping in on the henvey inlet is crazy, the pilots of those planes are friggin next level.

A crew of our bombers from the NWT are working down in Ontario now.

Been a very wet year up here and very few fires so far.

Capture.JPG

Edited by DRIFTER_016

10 minutes ago, wkrp said:

Just called the lodge and its business as usual.

...except that the area is filled with smoke and theres the chance that highway 69 is borderline about to be closed...

The guy isnt going to tell you not to come until the evacuation is actually in effect. His business would be taking a beating because of all of this.

I am not going to tell you not to go, but if you do, expect heavy smoke, like very very heavy smoke...if you or anyone going with you has respiratory issues, i would very strongly advise you to not go. Be prepared for the potential for highway 69 to be closed at any moment and having to find an alternative way home i.e. running north to sudbury and then east to northbay back down 11. Last but not least, be prepared to be ordered to evacuate at any moment. Grundy lake PP was evacuated over the weekend they sent 800 campers home 10km to the south of where you are headed.

I wouldn't bother based on what i seen, but like Akrisoner stated expect smoke. Winds are staying the same direction which isnt good for the area. I drove up and came back home the same day. The smoke is terrible, i laughed when one lodge owner said its not that bad, and when the other was mad because there losing my business. Not going to risk my families health over a fish. They wont tell you a thing, not even a courtesy call. 

Edited by Dan668

8 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

ya...id be looking to go elsewhere

southwest winds this weekend too, you will be in for a miserable time. If you can even get there with the pending evacuation.

They just put Alban on evacuation alert, which is just after turning off route 69 on to 64.   I think this is due to the smoke coming from the Key River fire.   Keep up to date on conditions.   If the smoke gets too bad, they could shut dow 69.      We're heading up that way September 8. - should be taken care of by then.   I sure hope

7 hours ago, lew said:

Yeah, best of luck for you & your place, lousy situation to be in and hopefully it all works out for you guys in the area.

I guess if they shut down 69 the only alternative will be way over to 11 and cut thru North Bay ?

I've seen a couple Facebook posts from groups in the area recommending coming up 11 to north bay, then taking 17 west towards Sudbury.   Will add maybe 45-60 minutes depending on where you are going.  May be a small price to pay vs. getting all the way up there and the  have to find an alternative route

8 hours ago, Rodnreel said:

My property is on Hartley Bay rd.  

Mandatory evacuation this morning.  There is potential that they shut down the highway later today due to heavy smoke.  

I was there this past weekend, and the air quality was terrible.

Best of luck to you. I hope they and mother nature can knock this one into submission.