Ontario fires

Headhunter

As most of us are aware, central Ontario is under siege of fire, with folks being evacuated from their homes from Parry Sound to Sudbury. I thought it might be a good idea to keep a thread open on this topic as many of us are intending to head in that direction in the coming weeks. Any insight that can passed along from folks local to the scene or those who have traveled in the area, I think would be useful to us all.

Not going to worry at this time about who is or isn't responsible, more interested in how this affecting both locals and those visiting the areas.

Here's a link to the governments web site with up to date info.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/forest-fires

HH

• Like 2

was in Pointe Au Baril this past weekend and the situation is downright scary up there...I feel so much for the people affected in the key/french river areas. The smoke on the horizon and smell was enough to instill fear in everyone in pointe au baril's hearts.

It is everyone's responsibilities to be extremely diligent, to protect one another's property and well being. If you are in the vast vast area that is now considered to be under a total fire ban, please THINK!

This means aside from the obvious no fires...

It also means, no fireworks, and no throwing ciggarette butts on the ground! My parents this past weekend witnessed an individual in parry sound riding a motorcycle toss his butt in the ditch, i also personally witnessed individuals lighting fireworks, while the fires visibly raged 20 miles to our north.

If you are in the township of the archipelago and witness someone violating a fire ban, you may contact by law enforcement at the followign numbers

By Law enforcement

705-746-4243 ext 325

or after hours 705-774-3630

Edited by AKRISONER

20 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

i also personally witnessed individuals lighting fireworks, while the fires visibly raged 20 miles to our north.

If you are in the township of the archipelago and witness someone violating a fire ban, you may contact by law enforcement at the followign numbers

By Law enforcement

705-746-4243 ext 325

What was the response from by-law when you called them, did they come out ?

Edited by lew

18 minutes ago, lew said:

What was the response from by-law when you called them, did they come out ?

unfortunately I was around the point from where the fireworks were being launched so i was unable to pinpoint the exact location they were coming from.

I could hear the individuals chatting and yelling and then fireworks launching in the sky. I came around the point and everything had gone quiet and dark. Either someone spoke to them already or they knew what they were doing was wrong and hid it. I wish i could have went after them myself... I was bloody raging...you could see the smoke in the sky from the fires just to our north and these idiots think its awesome to light fireworks...ugh

I have been personally assured by the township that any reporting of the fireban violation will be responded to. That after hours number is for the local by law enforcements personal phone line.

Edited by AKRISONER

Very sad to see. Pickerel and the French were my yearly getaways later into fall for ski's.  Rented a nice cabin on the Key just last summer.  Hope all in the community are fairing as best they can.

IMG_1436.JPG

Edited by Reef Runner

31 minutes ago, Reef Runner said:

Very sad to see. Pickerel and the French were my yearly getaways later into fall for ski's.  Rented a nice cabin on the Key just last summer.  Hope all in the community are fairing as best they can.

IMG_1436.JPG

from what i can see, the firefighters have done a friggin incredible job containing the blaze to the forest and away from most of the cottages thus far...there is obviously is devestation, but i believe they were able to save the key marina area...which i friggin incredible because the fire basically surrounded the entirety of the community there.

some of the footage of the water bombers sweeping in on the henvey inlet is crazy, the pilots of those planes are friggin next level.

41 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

from what i can see, the firefighters have done a friggin incredible job containing the blaze to the forest and away from most of the cottages thus far...there is obviously is devestation, but i believe they were able to save the key marina area...which i friggin incredible because the fire basically surrounded the entirety of the community there.

some of the footage of the water bombers sweeping in on the henvey inlet is crazy, the pilots of those planes are friggin next level.

Good to hear Akri.  The lady at the little shop above the launch at Key river was always pleasant and hospitable.  On a long haul back down to Toronto they let us check into one of their cabins after hours just left the lights on for us to lay our heads down and settle up in the morning.  Good folks out that way!

Hopefully things turn out OK, for the people living there, businesses & the fishery/wildlife.

I've been to the French (Alban/Noelville area) a few times with the family & loved it, we weren't able to make it there this year but hopefully once things improve for us we could maybe go next year or the year after.

our cottage is on the montreal river system,35km west of New Liskeard close to Lady Evelyn provincial park... approx. 10 kms from fire number 72 a 28000 hectare in size fire that is not under control. im constantly watching for updates. the fire doesn't seem to be coming our way,more south and north west.there is a travel ban put in place so we cant (I wont) go in till we have the all clear. from what I read it was started by lightening

Edited by lakerguy

Tha

2 hours ago, Joeytier said:

It absolutely poured rain off and on allll day and again just now so hopefully, I'd be shocked if it didn't put a serious dent in the fires.

That has to be some welcomed news.  Poured hard here in the GTA today as well.  Hopefully all points between got some too.  

7 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

Tha

That has to be some welcomed news.  Poured hard here in the GTA today as well.  Hopefully all points between got some too.  

unfortunately the rain missed a lot of the parry sound and french river region. The britt area got poured on, but unfortunately the french and pointe au baril areas missed out entirely. The extended forecast doesnt look so great either.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:31 AM, AKRISONER said:

was in Pointe Au Baril this past weekend and the situation is downright scary up there...I feel so much for the people affected in the key/french river areas. The smoke on the horizon and smell was enough to instill fear in everyone in pointe au baril's hearts.

It is everyone's responsibilities to be extremely diligent, to protect one another's property and well being. If you are in the vast vast area that is now considered to be under a total fire ban, please THINK!

This means aside from the obvious no fires...

It also means, no fireworks, and no throwing ciggarette butts on the ground! My parents this past weekend witnessed an individual in parry sound riding a motorcycle toss his butt in the ditch, i also personally witnessed individuals lighting fireworks, while the fires visibly raged 20 miles to our north.

By Law enforcement

705-746-4243 ext 325

The cigarette butt thing is an important one.  Last weekend a friend threw his butt into my campfire pit that had some brush in it that fell from trees from the storm a couple weeks ago and it was going to be burned then the fire ban started.  Anyway I was in the screen in porch and smelt camp fire smoke and when I went out my fire pit was lit up.  If it can happen in a fire pit with a few small branches it will happen in the bush!  Be safe everyone!

Cheers!

• Like 1

a firefighter from Alberta has perished on the job in Northwestern Ontario

Heavy winds all weekend up on the northeast side of Georgian Bay has made the Parry Sound 33 fire spark up big time over the weekend. No rain in sight...not looking good at all.