Upper Buckhorn Lake Fishing

beenfishing

i know this is as confusing as hell, because Upper buckhorn, is actually the southern buckhorn, while lower buckhorn is the northern buckhorn...sounds to me like you are fishing east of lower buckhorn feeding into stoney lake. aka lovesick lake.

From my understanding the reason that the northern buckhorn is called "lower" is because it is downstream in the kawarthas, with the water flowing from west to east towards lake ontario.

Ive done a lot of fishing on upper buckhorn this year and pigeon. The bass are biting and there are loads of walleye. Things are a bit tougher now though with the insanely warm weather that we have had. I would suggest chasing largies over smallies. Been some bigger fish caught this year...especially after the past 3 years where we really struggled to get any size, things have rebounded a bit.

Edited by AKRISONER

19 minutes ago, lew said:

Just an FYI but Stoney & Lovesick are 2 totally different lakes and Stoney is NOT aka as Lovesick.

i realize what i can be said can be misinterpreted. I was referring to the area of lower buckhorn which feeds into lovesick, which then feeds into stoney.

My bad.

Yeah, it can become somewhat confusing with all the locks on the system connecting different lakes and then having 2 lakes next door to each other both known as Buckhorn.

Edited by lew

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i know this is as confusing as hell, because Upper buckhorn, is actually the southern buckhorn, while lower buckhorn is the northern buckhorn...sounds to me like you are fishing east of lower buckhorn feeding into stoney lake. aka lovesick lake.

From my understanding the reason that the northern buckhorn is called "lower" is because it is downstream in the kawarthas, with the water flowing from west to east towards lake ontario.

Ive done a lot of fishing on upper buckhorn this year and pigeon. The bass are biting and there are loads of walleye. Things are a bit tougher now though with the insanely warm weather that we have had. I would suggest chasing largies over smallies. Been some bigger fish caught this year...especially after the past 3 years where we really struggled to get any size, things have rebounded a bit.

Thanks Akrisoner. I've never fished in the Kawarthas and I'm looking forward to this trip. Good to know the fish are biting :) I've never caught a Walleye..so I'll have to brush up on my Walleye catching skills and pick up a few new lures for the trip.

20 minutes ago, beenfishing said:

Thanks Akrisoner. I've never fished in the Kawarthas and I'm looking forward to this trip. Good to know the fish are biting :) I've never caught a Walleye..so I'll have to brush up on my Walleye catching skills and pick up a few new lures for the trip.

find any weed edge in 15fow and throw a drop shot...I caught 5 in a day on saturday by accident while fishing in a bass tournament.

My buddy and I were on Pigeon on Saturday.  We explored some of the north end, closer to the entrance of Bald Lake.  It sure was a very windy day out there.

Didn't know there was a tournament going on (but not surprised, they seem to always going on).  Never heard of the Theona tournament though.  I guess that is just for the residents of that trailer park?  I live across the bay next to Kawartha Hideaway.  :)

He did well that day.  A couple really nice ones.  I'm afraid I was just the net man that day.  :(

Bosco - 2 Bass.JPG

Edited by TheKawarthaAngler
because I felt like it

2 hours ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

My buddy and I were on Pigeon on Saturday.  We explored some of the north end, closer to the entrance of Bald Lake.  It sure was a very windy day out there.

Didn't know there was a tournament going on (but not surprised, they seem to always going on).  Never heard of the Theona tournament though.  I guess that is just for the residents of that trailer park?  I live across the bay next to Kawartha Hideaway.  :)

He did well that day.  A couple really nice ones.  I'm afraid I was just the net man that day.  :(

Bosco - 2 Bass.JPG

i realize now that you are referencing this past saturday and not the saturday prior.

I was fishing the north east end myself that weekend. Was a tough smallie bite, we found them but it was too little too late. The guys killed it on buckhorn for largies in the pads though.

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i realize now that you are referencing this past saturday and not the saturday prior.

I was fishing the north east end myself that weekend. Was a tough smallie bite, we found them but it was too little too late. The guys killed it on buckhorn for largies in the pads though.

I vaguely remember someone telling you not to worry about the water temp for largies and fish swallow. lol