Toronto...

AKRISONER

man...so incredibly sad

we gotta do something about these handguns...its getting insane. I am not trying to be political here, but perhaps stronger minimum sentences could make it not worth while to even consider importing/dealing/carry handguns in our streets. Right now its a 1 year penalty...

Criminals will be criminals, but man we gotta do everything we can to protect innocent people.

the violence is escalating way too fast for us to not take some really drastic measures...i live at dufferin and lawrence, so far this year theres been a shooting in my building, a shooting across the street and a shooting 300 meters down the road...weve got guys shooting into playgrounds, now we have maniancs shooting at everyone..enough is enough

RIP to the victims and prayers for the survivors...damn

• Like 2

The problem we face is with illegally acquired handguns. Unless every single vehicle that crosses the border gets taken apart, it will be very difficult to stem the flow of pistols coming over the border. I was in a Cabela's in Buffalo a couple months ago, there were literally hundreds of handguns in a display. Here in Canada, there are few places where you will see long guns on display, never mind handguns. Making legally acquired guns harder to get is not the answer. I am not sure what the answer is.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bigbuck said:

The problem we face is with illegally acquired handguns. Unless every single vehicle that crosses the border gets taken apart, it will be very difficult to stem the flow of pistols coming over the border. I was in a Cabela's in Buffalo a couple months ago, there were literally hundreds of handguns in a display. Here in Canada, there are few places where you will see long guns on display, never mind handguns. Making legally acquired guns harder to get is not the answer. I am not sure what the answer is.

you gotta make it not worth getting caught with one. Clearly its far too easy and worthwhile for people to be bringing them over.

A guy dropped a hand gun on the street after coming out from a nightclub on new years this year. the police apprehended him, it would be interesting to know what came of him and how harshly he was penalized...clearly he didnt fear the repercussions...and thats a problem.

26 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

you gotta make it not worth getting caught with one. Clearly its far too easy and worthwhile for people to be bringing them over.

A guy dropped a hand gun on the street after coming out from a nightclub on new years this year. the police apprehended him, it would be interesting to know what came of him and how harshly he was penalized...clearly he didnt fear the repercussions...and thats a problem.

Akri, that hasn't worked here, the world seems to have gone crazy at times?

34 minutes ago, bigbuck said:

The police have been handcuffed. Street checks kept the criminals on their toes. Now they carry all the time. 

But those street checks violated the rights of the criminals to carry illegal weapons, the rights of wanted felons to run free,  and the rights of drug dealers to conduct their businesses efficiently....how could our society allow that to continue?????:sarcasm:

This thread will end up locked in 3....2.....1.......

Edited by G.mech

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

Akri, that hasn't worked here, the world seems to have gone crazy at times?

oh man ohio...i dont know how you guys do it down there...a land where anyone of legal age can purchase a hand gun with no questions asked...a state of terror at all times.

Honestly as messed up as the racial profiling can get with street checks...i dont believe that without proper training and understanding that this could be managed. It would take a lot of understanding and an agreement that we need these types of measures in place again in order to save our city.

The main component would be to ensure that individuals that were being checked that are innocent are not made out to feel like they are criminals before they have even been searched. 

One thing though I am extremely glad that we can in large part agree upon is that open carry is a bad idea, and by agreeing on such, we can easily know that if you are carrying a handgun (unless transporting in a case obviously like a responsible gun owner) you are a criminal 100% of the time.

Edited by AKRISONER

15 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Ark...you've activated the launch sequence! :w00t:

Being a resident of toronto, and experiencing this gun violence in my home makes it hard for me to keep silent...its not a good feeling when your front door has been sprayed with bullets and when your girlfriend doesnt feel safe taking your dog pee at night...

28 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

oh man ohio...i dont know how you guys do it down there...a land where anyone of legal age can purchase a hand gun with no questions asked...a state of terror at all times.

Honestly as messed up as the racial profiling can get with street cheques...i dont believe that without proper training and understanding that this could be managed. It would take a lot of understanding and an agreement that we need these types of measures in place again in order to save our city.

The main component would be to ensure that individuals that were being checked that are innocent are not made out to feel like they are criminals before they have even been searched. 

One thing though I am extremely glad that we can in large part agree upon is that open carry is a bad idea, and by agreeing on such, we can easily know that if you are carrying a handgun (unless transporting in a case obviously like a responsible gun owner) you are a criminal 100% of the time.

Well it just seems to me that the problem crosses racial boundaries, a year or two ago an area gun store was burglarized, last week one in Mentor was, folks of different colors, but the problems still exist.

It's been about 8 years since I bought a handgun, and if you go to a gun or sporting goods store there are some hoops to go thru, proper ID, background check, but the last time I was at the local flea market, which has been years, they were sitting on tables for sale without the " niceties " of proper regulation.

Pandora's box has been opened, and I can't really see an effective way of closing it now?

Overall, I think our gun laws are pretty good here.  I think we have a good balance that allows people to own guns without allowing people to legally walk around the city with loaded handguns.

Perhaps some stricter sentencing for those who have used guns is crime.

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Open carry would change a lot of things. Do you think illegal guns would be carried openly?  

I agree stiffer penalties is the only solution. Nail these guys for life. Why not? If your dumb enough to use an illegal gun in a crime, you shouldn't be allowed back on the streets. Most of these guys don't get any charges under the firearms act anyways. Its just there to please the anti gunners. 

S. 

I think there are mental health issues at work here. I find that in this time of increased social media, people are feeling more lonely than ever. It is easy to get sucked into believing what society wants you to believe (ie. the materialistic and superficial). There is usually some unresolved anger issue at the heart. Sometimes I wonder if that is a tipping point, when if this individual had a kind person to realign him, things might be different.

I agree with tougher sentencing, but it means nothing if the perpetrator's life means nothing to him/her.

1 minute ago, riddickulous said:

I agree with tougher sentencing, but it means nothing if the perpetrator's life means nothing to him/her.

And that there is the crux of the issue. I have been in a rage about this all day. I know that area well (The Danforth). My words are not allowed here, understandably.

HH

• TJQ locked this topic

Sorry folks but we are not going to discuss firearms on this forum. It has always gone wrong with people getting butt hurt and complaining about each others point of view and the political system that doesn't work. It is to easy to lose a good friend over this type of thread.

Cheers

Art