Faded braided line

Hey everyone. 

For the past 2 to 3 seasons I have really been enjoying using braided line for the first time in my life. I’ve noticed better hooksets and less lost fish. 

After 4 days camping and leaving my rods out in the sun (no choice) my dark green line looks like it’s faded to a brighter tan. Am I just seeing things or does braided line fade? If it does will it effect the fishing? Will fish see this off colour? How often does everyone replace their braid? Thanks. 

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/tips/post/recolor-your-braided-line-with-a-sharpie

and there is this

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Vicious_No-Fade_Braid_Moss_Green/descpage-VNFB.html

I am older and have used everything from braided nylon to flouro and have caught fish on them all, my line of choice was original Stren over the years, the line watchers line. If I could see it? I assume the fish could too?

LOL, it's an easy excuse to blame a bad day on the fish being able to see your line? I have no idea what a fish may think line is, or why they would avoid line and not hook shaped objects?

5 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/tips/post/recolor-your-braided-line-with-a-sharpie

and there is this

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Vicious_No-Fade_Braid_Moss_Green/descpage-VNFB.html

I am older and have used everything from braided nylon to flouro and have caught fish on them all, my line of choice was original Stren over the years, the line watchers line. If I could see it? I assume the fish could too?

LOL, it's an easy excuse to blame a bad day on the fish being able to see your line? I have no idea what a fish may think line is, or why they would avoid line and not hook shaped objects?

This is awesome! Thanks. Gonna try the first technique and if that doesn’t work i’ll Invest in the second. 

Its funny because i would have thought what you said about the line as well until I had a buddy using sand white on Quinte one day. I think I landed 5 or 6 quality bass while he didn’t get a bite. It was odd. 

Also i’ll Use any excuse in the book if they fish aren’t biting. ‘It’s too hot’ ‘it’s too cold’ ‘it’s too shallow’ ‘the wind was blowing the wrong direction’ ‘It was to early’ ‘it was too late’. 

I feel like I could make one of those t-shirts. 

Years ago there was a golden Stren, and it was pretty obvious. It didn't seem to matter on a trip up north were your water is generally much clearer than ours here. The flouro was a tough bite line for me, and I am not sure if it made a difference, generally the bite was still tough.

LOL, I have caught fish right over the side of the boat and other days on a long cast, some days they were afraid of the boat?

LOL

I still have a reel spooled with red power pro. (wish I could find it again ) Been on my reel 10 years. Oh I have caught many a fish with it.

Bass to lakers and whities. :tease:

Faded or not.

STOP OVER THINKING. 

HA HA HA HA

Edited by misfish

4 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

My co-worker made a good point. Those of you who commented, do you use a fluro leader? I’ve been tying my braid right on to the hook like a boat anchor. 

Jer

I tie direct to my spinner baits. The rest is floro leaders.

46 minutes ago, misfish said:

Jer

I tie direct to my spinner baits. The rest is floro leaders.

Sooooooo, not for senkos? ...... wait, do you use senkos? 

43 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

I use a pretty long flouro leader.

Ice fishing, Lake Trout for sure seem to shy away from my offering if I've tied direct.

Through the ice for lakers for sure. I dunno why i’m Ok with a fluro leader for that and not soft water. Superstition I guess. XD 

I always have a black marker in my tackle box and every once in a while I darken the faded out last 2-4 feet.  But most of my setups I use yellow braid because of my colorblindness and can't linewatch on the dark green or red braid 

I have a reel that I bought when the bass pro shop first opened in Vaughan.  I'm pretty sure it's still wearing the original braid.  Still use it and couldn't tell you the original colour.  Every so often I remove a foot or so of braid and tie on a new Fluoro leader.  I only replace if I get a bad fray or have some sort of operator related catastrophic failure.

14 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

Sooooooo, not for senkos? ...... wait, do you use senkos? 

Through the ice for lakers for sure. I dunno why i’m Ok with a fluro leader for that and not soft water. Superstition I guess. XD 

Senkos in heavy cover,I will tie direct. They don't hesitate on the hit.

As walleyboss mentioned the black permanent marker on the last 2-4' works well if you are worried about the fading... saw this tip from KVD on the fishing channel.. i'd say if it works for him it must work well. Lakers and super clear water fishing i'll use a floro leaders.

I also use a fluoroleader. Plus i use mono backing. I learned the hard way that tying braid on straight is a bad idea - fishing in the rain, i was wondering why my drag kept slipping, turns out my whole line was turning on the spool.

You can also tie a piece of electrical tape, but by using cheaper mono, i can make my spool of braid last longer. Just remember to hide the knot (i like putting it on the back edge of the spool.

Interesting!

I finally gave in and tried braid on a few reels late last year and now this year too. I am liking the Suffix 832. I have noticed the fading and have my jumbo black marker (Thanks KVD!) but have not tried it yet. I do use a Fluoro leader for finesse fishing or really any slow presentation. Like Misfish, I tie the braid straight to Spinner Baits. I think any fast reaction type presentation does not need the low visibility leader.

The old Spider wire braids from 20 years ago were horrible for breaking down of the wax like coating on the line. This is what scared me off from using them. The new lines are way better now.

Edited by Rattletrap2

The suffix 832 turn white almost immediately. The line casts great but a little to supple for my liking. It tends to wrap around the guides way to much.

I rarely use a flouro leader.

Power pro is by far the best braid out there. It does turn white eventually. not as quick as 832 .

A black marker takes care of this.

D/S rod - 10lb braid with 7 or 5lb fluorocarbon leader. 

Plastics rod - 20lb braid with 7 or 10lb fluorocarbon leader

Spinnerbait/swim jig rod  - 15lb Big Game

Deep diver rod - 12lb fluorocarbon

Squarebill rod - 10lb fluorocarbon

Topwater rod - 10lb Big Game

Punching rod, Flipping rod, Frog rod  - 65lb braid

Edited by DropShot'r