Can't complain about mileage

Fisherman

15 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Thanks for the great response Raf. Believe it or not the truck is too big. I am close to 64 and parking it in a lot is a pain, if you look at my tailgate you can tell . It is the 4 door crew cab 4x4 2011 I bought new in 011'. The only spot it fits in is the Disabled spot and I won't use it if I can help it. I average 15  MPG. Up to a month ago all I did was a battery, tires and pads. At 139,000 kms the fuel pump went, brakes locked up on me and a fuel leak just yesterday. Time to let her go, I love the truck but it's time. Everything is 1000 bucks these days and I can 1000 buck myself to the poor house.

if you don't need the size of a 1/2 ton, then you may be a good candidate for a colorado/canyon short box then.  our long box is still a little 'long' for many parking spots [i usually park far away with the other trucks] but fits the width fine.  these new 'mid-size' trucks are not much smaller than the 1/2 tons of 15 years ago.   the 1/2 tons have really ballooned since then.  i'd look at the honda ridgeline too.. it's a lot more 'car-like' but a fwd platform wasn't right for me -- maybe it will be for you.

as i get older and lose the desire to work on my vehicles to save costs, factory warranty is nice.  your 2011 should fetch pretty good value on the used market as all trucks do.

3 hours ago, G.mech said:

No way they'll ever figure that out, the engine compartment was basically empty after the fire since all the aluminum and magnesium parts were consumed including the hood, turbo housing, rad, tranny cooler etc.  It was definitely a fuel fire though, probably an injector broke or something because the entire engine compartment was covered in burning fluid when I got the hood open and the was no sign of oil anywhere and it held 15L.   Thank god for replacement value insurance, they bought me a brand new, current model year truck with all the toys!  It is NOT another eco-diesel however after this episode.   

IMG_20180707_2102399.jpg

Holly crap. That sucks and glad yer ok.

12 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Somehow carbon came in contact with an ignition source, fuel leak, how?

Carbon isn't going to start a fire.  Carbon is what's left over when the fire is done.  Did you mean hydro-carbons (i.e. the fuel?)  

No fires yet on any of our ecodeisel but FCA does know about some.and so far it's in proper service methods.  Fuel lines cannot be reused  all tube lines must be replaced when loosened and.noretorquing of lines or a leak will occur.  Still a turd wouldn't take an free one

10 hours ago, ecmilley said:

No fires yet on any of our ecodeisel but FCA does know about some.and so far it's in proper service methods.  Fuel lines cannot be reused  all tube lines must be replaced when loosened and.noretorquing of lines or a leak will occur.  Still a turd wouldn't take an free one

Mine never had a wrench on it other than oil changes, a set of brakes, and regular maintenance.  Fuel system & injectors had not been touched since new.  Others have reported the same circumstances although some fires did occur after injector work.  I find it offensive that FCA or anybody else would try to blame the end users for something as serious as this.....I guess until somebody dies, it won't ever be sorted out and they will just keep sweeping it under the rug.  

Edited by G.mech

1 hour ago, dintymoore said:

Brutal. Yet another reason to hate a Dodge. No truck more reliable than a Toyota. More expensive, but you'll find yourself at the garage less. You get what you pay for.

If Toyota could only get some decent mileage I would have considered them,  seating on the other hand unfortunately isn't for my back.

3 hours ago, G.mech said:

Mine never had a wrench on it other than oil changes, a set of brakes, and regular maintenance.  Fuel system & injectors had not been touched since new.  Others have reported the same circumstances although some fires did occur after injector work.  I find it offensive that FCA or anybody else would try to blame the end users for something as serious as this.....I guess until somebody dies, it won't ever be sorted out and they will just keep sweeping it under the rug.  

I am reporting what's been found so far if that's offensive to bad .  I don't build them only fix them to suggest were all hiding a issue is ludicrous. 

34 minutes ago, ecmilley said:

I am reporting what's been found so far if that's offensive to bad .  I don't build them only fix them to suggest were all hiding a issue is ludicrous. 

I would believe that at the Corporate level many things are kept from the consumer, not at the shop floor. A death is collateral damage and has a dollar value associated with it.

G. Mech, yep not much evidence left t

3 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

No it's not unless it has oxygen and ignition (heat) to create combustion. C+O2=CO + CO2

Fe + O2 = FeO or Fe2O3.  But try lighting a piece of iron or steel on fire.  Carbon is certainly not at the top of the list of things in an engine that might start on fire.

Come on John, I'm Old Ironmaker. I might not have my Metallurgical degree but I had a dozen that worked for me. Without the C in your equation nothing will smelt , burn, catch ablaze etc. Without Carbon nothing will catch fire, absolutely nothing.  The Cave Men caught onto that.

You are close, Fe+O2= FeO+Fe2O3. I have lit plenty of Iron and Steee

28 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Come on John, I'm Old Ironmaker. I might not have my Metallurgical degree but I had a dozen that worked for me. Without the C in your equation nothing will smelt , burn, catch ablaze etc. Without Carbon nothing will catch fire, absolutely nothing.  The Cave Men caught onto that.

You are close, Fe+O2= FeO+Fe2O3. I have lit plenty of Iron and Steee

But the C comes from hydro carbons; not pure carbon.  The properties of compound are not like the properties of the individual atoms.

The properties of NaCl (aka table salt) are not the properties of either chlorine gas nor sodium.  Water has more oxygen than the air we breath; but I wouldn't recommend trying to breath it.

Carbon combined with hydrogen is used for fuel.  Carbon combined with oxygen is used to extinguish fires.

Carbon and hydro carbons are very different.  A piece of carbon is not easy to burn.

When you think back in the late '70's, 80's trying to get beyond 10 mpg with trucks and even some cars was something to behold,  spent more time gassing than driving.  Then along came VW with the Rabbit,  and me being about as frugal as a cheap Scotsman bought one.  When I first got to Calgary, it was .10c a litre, $4.00 to fill.  Drive all month.  First trip from Calgary to Toronto cost me $49, less than the first night in a fleabag motel.  amazing what technology can do when needed.   Figured I can get 1400km/875 miles from a full tank on the truck if I keep it under 115km/hr/70mph. And it's got a small tank.

Edited by Fisherman

Frankly, I'm surprised that people place fuel mileage so high on the list of what defines a good truck. I pay the same price as everyone else and can honestly say it's way down my list of what's really important. One repair bill can to easily negate any possible savings realized. I had two separate mechanics suggest I avoid Dodge Rams and I did. Who knows? I feel bad for Gmech though...nasty pics. 

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

Frankly, I'm surprised that people place fuel mileage so high on the list of what defines a good truck.

When my wife was considering a new Jetta I calculated it would take 12 years of fuel savings to recoup the initial extra cost for the diesel option.

Fuel, initial cost, resale, reliabilty/ repairs, etc.  It's a pretty complicated equation.

I think FCA is generally crap and I drive one too.

Also, those on board mileage computers might be telling you what you want to hear. It's better to do your own calculations. The hot summer weather = better mileage too.

Edited by chris.brock

8 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Also, those on board mileage computers might be telling you what you want to hear. It's better to do your own calculations. The hot summer weather = better mileage too.

Mine is hand calculated, pretty close to the on board computer.  No doubt summer weather and #2 Diesel gets better mileage.

own an eco diesel and regret buying it nearly every day...

been in the shop 6 times during warranty, now im out of warranty and just waiting for the next blow up...also i cant have the heat on in my truck during the winter because the cab fills with exhaust fumes...took it in during warranty 3 times, every time Dodge said it was nothing...

never fixed the problem, its my problem now...

saving my money to do a full EGR bypass with DEF Delete...i think its the only thing that will save my truck from inevitable early death...who knows maybe it will light on fire like this one.

Stay the hell away

Edited by AKRISONER