Can't complain about mileage

Fisherman

My Ram is averaging 12.9L/100km on 40, 000km. 

2017 Hemi. 

I tow a trailer a lot, obviously, summer and winter, at least once a week, usually 3 or more times. 

S. 

Edited by Sinker

Can't complain about the mileage but I will be complaining about this for a while. 

Here's my 2015 ecodiesel on the way home from the lake last weekend.  Cruising down a back road at the limit, it lost power and went up in flames in about a minute.  Wasted 2 fire extinguishers but saved my boat and not much else.....130,000 easy, easy km.   This is not the only one.  BEWARE!! 

https://www.ecodieselram.com/forum/threads/anyone-had-their-ecodiesel-catch-on-fire.1363/

I loved the truck and the mileage was very good but there will not be another one in my life, that's for sure.  I was lucky to save my skin and my boat. FCA is denying there's a problem but this is becoming more and more regular.....this is a fuel problem only on the ecodiesel and is not the electrical fire on the 4x2 models that was subject to a recall.  

gPABWbI.jpg

g2RWxdr.jpg

hn4j7aU.jpg

Edited by G.mech

Damm, that's sad!  I do frequent one of the RAM 1500 Diesel forums, I've heard of a a few going up in flames.

GM is coming out wit an in line 6 diesel, not that I would rush out and buy one, I'd contemplate suicide before another GM sits in my driveway

My 17 ram with the 3.92 rear gets 12.5 litres per 100km. I do all kinds of truck stuff. For a v8 hemi I'm quite happy with the fuel mileage. I was looking at the 3litre diesel and a quick Google search scratched that engine off my list and I wasn't that impressed with the 3.6 in my wrangler so i got the good old reliable hemi is what I got. Word of advice get rid of the crappy P rated tires right away blew 3 within 10 days and 2 of them within 12hrs back in the Bush. Had to do a Bush patch  to get home.

Edited by pike slayer

G. Mech, has there been a root cause determined as to how a new truck goes up in flames? Somehow carbon came in contact with an ignition source, fuel leak, how? My Silverado came close to going up in a ball of flames in the heart of Gore Park in downtown Hamilton at 4 pm yesterday. I coming down the James St./Becket hill and notice no need for brakes. Come to a stop at St. Joes hospital and smell something burning and hear the brakes crunching. Front left caliper is stuck on and it's smoking, in bumper to bumper gridlock. Not even a place to pull over. I slam the brakes on and off and it frees up. Finally get to where I'm going downtown and buddy says I smell gas. Fuel line has a leak, that was a close one. Always carry a roll of Duct Tape, truck and boat. Got me to a garage 2 blocks away. As far as gas mileage, it sucks. Pulling the boat it sucks even worse. 40 bucks of gas to get to Hamilton and back to the lake, around 110 KMS. Maybe because the brakes are stuck on, that can't be good for fuel economy can it?  

I am impressed with some of the mileage you Ram guys are getting. 9.6L/100KMS ??? Better check the calculator, if that's correct it's unbelievable for any V8 let alone a truck. That's what my wife's 6 cyl. 3.5 lt 280HP Nissan Altima was getting.  Now she's getting 6L to 7L/100kms on her new Kia Optima, but it's missing 4 cylinders.

this is my colorado diesel

http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/colorado/2017/esoxhntr/672489

i get about 9l/100 towing my boat and about 7.5-8l/100 unloaded on average.  more payload and towing capacity then the ecodiesel

my best 725km/450 miles (US MPG) -- 33.8 US MPG is about 40 IMP MPG

mileage.jpg

i will look to get into the full size 3.0L gm diesel after a few years for them to work out the kinks.

for me, it's the other way around.. after owning several FCA products (mostly Jeeps), never again.

Edited by Raf

25 minutes ago, BillM said:

Lew, you've probably got the most bulletproof engine in this thread :)    5.0 is a great motor, not to shabby on the mileage either.

I've had the 5.4 and the 3.5 EcoBoost Bill so I figured I'd give the 5.0 a try this time and so far am more than happy with it and your right about the mileage, it's not bad either.

Raf I am considering getting rid of the 1/2 ton Silverado and going into a Colorado. How do you like it.  Looking at the specs it's all I need with the smaller boat and the occasional 2x4. Buddy has a Canyon and tows a 21' StarCraft everywhere. PM me if you wish, I can't send PM's but can get them.

3 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

G. Mech, has there been a root cause determined as to how a new truck goes up in flames? 

No way they'll ever figure that out, the engine compartment was basically empty after the fire since all the aluminum and magnesium parts were consumed including the hood, turbo housing, rad, tranny cooler etc.  It was definitely a fuel fire though, probably an injector broke or something because the entire engine compartment was covered in burning fluid when I got the hood open and the was no sign of oil anywhere and it held 15L.   Thank god for replacement value insurance, they bought me a brand new, current model year truck with all the toys!  It is NOT another eco-diesel however after this episode.   

IMG_20180707_2102399.jpg

26 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Raf I am considering getting rid of the 1/2 ton Silverado and going into a Colorado. How do you like it.  Looking at the specs it's all I need with the smaller boat and the occasional 2x4. Buddy has a Canyon and tows a 21' StarCraft everywhere. PM me if you wish, I can't send PM's but can get them.

For our use case (typical homeowners, 2 adults, a 6 year old and a boat) the truck is perfect.  Only slight complaint I have is I should have gotten the 'luxury package' or whatever it is called that has the leather seats -- the cloth seats can be a little uncomfortable on really long trips -- the upgraded seats are said to be better in that regard.  The truck gets about 26-27k kms a year and the diesel made sense given what I posted about fuel economy above.  I bought the long bed and it handles loads fine although you cannot lay a 4x8 sheet of drywall flat due to the wheel wells.   I've hauled dirt, firewood and appliances in it with no issues.  1500lb payload and 7600lb towing in the 4x4 diesel which is more than the Ram EcoDiesel 1/2 ton.

What is your reason for getting out of the Silverado?   Ultimately, I went Colorado because of the diesel.  I don't do a lot of short trips (which are said to be 'bad' for modern diesels) my commute is 65kms each way. If comparing the v6 in the Colorado/Canyon vs the 5.3 in the Silverado, the fuel consumption difference will be fairly small and the Silverado is a bigger, more comfortable truck.  If it was gas vs gas I think I would have went 1/2 ton. 

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for the great response Raf. Believe it or not the truck is too big. I am close to 64 and parking it in a lot is a pain, if you look at my tailgate you can tell . It is the 4 door crew cab 4x4 2011 I bought new in 011'. The only spot it fits in is the Disabled spot and I won't use it if I can help it. I average 15  MPG. Up to a month ago all I did was a battery, tires and pads. At 139,000 kms the fuel pump went, brakes locked up on me and a fuel leak just yesterday. Time to let her go, I love the truck but it's time. Everything is 1000 bucks these days and I can 1000 buck myself to the poor house.