Fly fishing Fergus, ON ???

misfish

It has been on my list for awhile now. Thinking this Saturday will be the day. I want to visit the fly shop in town as well. ( LEAVING CREDIT CARD AT HOME )

If there is anyone here that can throw me a bone on some river access spots, ( PM if you like ) That would very helpful. I will figure the rest out ( flys to throw ) when I get there. That will be my learning curve for the trip.

Will a 5wt be enough?  I have seen that there are some big fish,but majority are smaller in size.

Thanks

B

Enjoy your trip Brian. I grew up in Fergus and wish I could help....but the Browns never showed up until after I moved away in 1982☹️ Not sure exactly when they started stocking. Too bad to because I am told one of the better areas is within walking distance of our old family  home and the access area I used back then has houses there now.

these have always helped me

the grand one isnt as comprehensive

grand-river-hatch-chart.jpg

although to be honest the credit and grand at least in my limited experience dont differ too too much...most of my fishing was done on the eramosa to be honest. I couldnt find a hatch chart for it but the credit chart worked just fine.

Image result for grand river hatch chart

ive had limited success for brookies on drys in any of the rivers...a wise man once told me that the browns up in the grand dont care for em either. sink your stuff under an indicator.

Edited by AKRISONER

Scott, that is awesome. Thanks

Steve

I had a real nice spot on the credit in the 80,s. It,s now lined with factory's.

48 minutes ago, mistaredone said:

Talk to the guys at the fly shop in town. They pointed me in the right direction a few years back and what flies to use. It’s beautiful and quiet down there enjoy 

Im a pretty early guy, so figured I would walk some then go to the shop after.

I see there are 2 ? Or is the other a fishing club ? Grand river trout fitters.

I know jack all about fly fishing.  But I know most of the acces spots.  Send me a pm and I'll hook you up with the most common access points and a couple that aren't.  I'll even tell you the best greasy spoon for breakfast afterward.

Edited by porkpie
  • Thanks 1

Haven't really done much fishing up Fergus way, as I prefer green trout to brown trout, but down through the lower Grand we're starting to see some heavier hex hatches. Might not be happening up that way yet because of the colder water. Grand is low and warm right now, so look for the deeper cold areas and be nice to the fish. 

https://apps.grandriver.ca/waterdata/kiwischarts/rf_uppergrand.aspx

I used to fish there with a 8 1/2 foot 5 weight, found it just about ideal. Really , the whole match the hatch / mayfly thing  was over rated there in my experience, always did better with something like a weighted Wooly Bugger nymph and a strike indicator.

Brian, the access points are here https://www.friendsofthegrandriver.com/maps/

If you don't have a stream thermometer, pick one up from Grand River Outfitting (Troutfitters used to own a store but is now just guiding), I stop fishing if the water gets over 68F/20C as trout don't recover well above that.

Fly-wise, I've done well in summer on scuds (16-18) or midge larvae patterns (18-20), soft hackles will work too.

Have fun!

Thanks Bill. I have a few I have made and some others I got in a lot.

39 minutes ago, cuzza said:

Brian, the access points are here https://www.friendsofthegrandriver.com/maps/

If you don't have a stream thermometer, pick one up from Grand River Outfitting (Troutfitters used to own a store but is now just guiding), I stop fishing if the water gets over 68F/20C as trout don't recover well above that.

Fly-wise, I've done well in summer on scuds (16-18) or midge larvae patterns (18-20), soft hackles will work too.

Have fun!

Ok now you have me second guessing here, and I hate this. LOL

I watched a video that said the dam flow keeps the river temp cool through out the summer months. Do you think the river will be to warm now ? Or do I travel and find out ? HMMMMMM

I will be barbless and c&r

Edited by misfish
Thank you for the map. I was unsure about the signage thing.