Powerboat friendly lakes within 1-1.5 hours from Guelph area?

Hey guys, looking for suggestions on powerboat friendly lakes or rivers in the Southwest or central Ontario. Sorry, let’s add “productive” to that list. I’m a novice boater with only a 16’ aluminum bow rider (with a flinstones era motor) so big water is not great idea for me.

I’m adding a 9.9 hp kicker so small lakes with 9.9 restrictions might work too. 

Prefer a  1-1.5 hour drive from Guelph or Fergus area

Thanks in advance

13 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I’m adding a 9.9 hp kicker so small lakes with 9.9 restrictions might work too. 

Adding a kicker may not help on restricted lakes unless you remove the larger motor.

Wildwood just outside of St. Marys may fit you requirements but it gets to be quite busy on the weekend afternoons with water skiers and wake boarders.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:41 AM, Woodsman said:

Adding a kicker may not help on restricted lakes unless you remove the larger motor.

Sure it will. Just leaves the keys to the big motor in the truck and you're fine. I have fished and know lots of guys that fish Guelph Lake(no gas motors) with bass boats that have 250's hanging off them. Just run the electric, trim up the big motor and don't have the keys handy.

5 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Sure it will. Just leaves the keys to the big motor in the truck and you're fine. I have fished and know lots of guys that fish Guelph Lake(no gas motors) with bass boats that have 250's hanging off them. Just run the electric, trim up the big motor and don't have the keys handy.

You don't even need to leave the keys to the big motor in the truck.  Just don't run the big motor and your golden!

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

You don't even need to leave the keys to the big motor in the truck.  Just don't run the big motor and your golden!

Yeah I know but since I can't control who reads these posts I thought I'd say that to remove their temptations! Lol

Guys there are some lakes you will not get on period if a motor over the limits is on the boat. "I won't run it" doesn't cut it as the've heard that before only to get burned. Don't assume you can without at least confirming it with the controlling authorities for the particular lake.

8 hours ago, Woodsman said:

Guys there are some lakes you will not get on period if a motor over the limits is on the boat. "I won't run it" doesn't cut it as the've heard that before only to get burned. Don't assume you can without at least confirming it with the controlling authorities for the particular lake.

What lakes?

When I worked for Upper Thames Conservation (years ago) on Fanshawe if the motor was there forget it.

All I said was confirm it's OK before assuming.

A day would be spoiled if they were turned away because they thought it was OK to find out differently.

Try Bellwood lake motor boats welcome. But if you really want some hot action for large smallies try Lake Erie out of Cristle beach area . You do not need to go off shore far at all, just fish the shoal's and rock ledges.

DSC_0011.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

If you can leave the big motor at home and slap on a trolling motor, I'd go to Island Lake in orangeville. I love that body of water. Enough spots and species to keep anyone busy for a day. 

I'd also consider Goderich at the mouth of the Thames. (I think its the thames?)

Thanks, I think that is the MAitland

I hadn’t considered Orangeville 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, jerpears1 said:

If you can leave the big motor at home and slap on a trolling motor, I'd go to Island Lake in orangeville. I love that body of water. Enough spots and species to keep anyone busy for a day. 

I'd also consider Goderich at the mouth of the Thames. (I think its the thames?)

Island Lake in Orangeville will let you on with the big motor still attached. Just trim it up and use electric only.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Island Lake in Orangeville will let you on with the big motor still attached. Just trim it up and use electric only.

I did not know that. Good to know. I honestly love island lake. It’s big enough to find lots of hidden spots without being in peoples back pockets.