Question for smallmouth guys

Dutch01

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Something I know a bit about.

1) Topwater. Early in AM and a few hours before dusk, the water doesn't need to be dead calm but I like it like glass. I use Rappala.

2)Tubes. When they are lockjawed I find tubes in natural colours best. Pumpkin seed, green metal flake and a tinge of blue. Softshell Crabs in Ont. have a blue tinge to them.

3)Jerkbaits. Many swear by them and they work.

4)Dropshot with live bait. This time of year a 2 or 3 in that is natural to the lake.  By the fall I will use the biggest shiner I can find.

5) Spinners/Spinnerbaits. Black Fury is #1, #2 any mid size SB with Colorado blades.

6) Floating Rappala jerked across the surface.

Art or Blue it took ma 20 minutes or more to type this

Thanks for the time spent! I've got all these ideas setup in my tackle trays now.

Except live bait (which I like). Pain in the rear in a kayak. You can do it, I just don't want to deal with it at least until fall when it's cooler.

Surprised that no one has mentioned swimbaits or lipless cranks. If I were fishing deeper, open water those 2 presentations would at the top of my list. 4-5" swimbait on a jighead is great for fishing the entire column, as is a lipless crank. If I am searching for fish, a lipless crank is one of my first choices.

2 hours ago, singingdog said:

Surprised that no one has mentioned swimbaits or lipless cranks. If I were fishing deeper, open water those 2 presentations would at the top of my list. 4-5" swimbait on a jighead is great for fishing the entire column, as is a lipless crank. If I am searching for fish, a lipless crank is one of my first choices.

LOL, you're right of course, but we could soon overload his yak with choices! Underspins!

Not easy to fish a jerkbait properly out of a kayak unless you can stand up in it! Some of the hotter Smallmouth presentations nowadays are:

1/ Ned Rig (Z-Man Finesse T.R.D. on a Shroomz head)

2/ Neko Rig (Daiwa Neko Bait with an Ultra Tungsten Nail Weight on an Owner Wacky or Neko hook.)

3/ Swimbait (Rigged on a Football jig or a Swim Jig)

4/ Spybaits

5/ Ultra Tungsten T-Blade (Compact Tungsten Spinnerbait)

Good luck!

7 minutes ago, David Chong said:

Not easy to fish a jerkbait properly out of a kayak unless you can stand up in it! Some of the hotter Smallmouth presentations nowadays are:

2/ Neko Rig (Daiwa Neko Bait with an Ultra Tungsten Nail Weight on an Owner Wacky or Neko hook.)

4/ Spybaits

Good luck!

I actually do have the nails and daiwa worms for the neko  rig I'll try that out too 

2 hours ago, David Chong said:

4/ Spybaits

Good luck!

listen to this man

Dave what do you think of Z man's new ned rig TRD craw...thing looks friggin deadly.

also..of course live bait works but in the essence of not killing fish that you intend to release, dont use it. You will do fantastic drop shotting Megabass hazedongs in ghost shad colour. Trust me.

Edited by AKRISONER

3 hours ago, David Chong said:

The new Z-Man TRD CrawZ is awesome, I'm going to post a video on my David Chong- Fishing Personality FB page shortly!

Nice to have you around David. And good luck this year with Renegade! Unfortunately, this year I will not be fishing and contributing to your winnings! lol

8 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Nice to have you around David. And good luck this year with Renegade! Unfortunately, this year I will not be fishing and contributing to your winnings! lol

Thanks grimsbylander! Need all the luck that I can get, hasn't been a great year so far! Unfortunately too busy to get much pre-fish in, but we're working on it! LOL

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned hair jigs for smallies. I guess they've been around for too long hehe.  A very versatile year round lure for SMB. I think it would be easy enough to use out of a yak as well

Here's a good read for you Dutch. http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/catching-smallmouths-with-hair-jigs/

Cheers

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned hair jigs for smallies. I guess they've been around for too long hehe.  A very versatile year round lure for SMB. I think it would be easy enough to use out of a yak as well

Here's a good read for you Dutch. http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/catching-smallmouths-with-hair-jigs/

Cheers

Yes they work, and not just for smallies, largemouth, and walleye like them too! I used a 1/8th ounce with a pork grub trailer that I put rubber legs thru with pieces from a kush ball. Actually bought some years ago from Jensen Jigs in that article.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:21 AM, singingdog said:

On 7/16/2018 at 7:21 AM, singingdog said:

9 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Cheers

Thanks that was a good read. I have a few bucktails but will keep an eye out for the other hair types.

Stopped by Solely Outdoors since its close to my work and they carry Zman. They're still a little thin on fishing stuff (it's a gun store too), but they're getting better and what they do have is good stuff. 

E6E16409-C0C5-49E8-93AF-9AABD79057A0.jpeg

694A129C-2311-4F5A-A4ED-0F7BF8B2FAFD.jpeg

Edited by Dutch01

10 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Cheers

I used to be a die-hard hair jig fisherman especially in the fall. I often fished all of October and November with nothing but a black bear hair jig. My experience the last few years has been that the Ned rig will generally out fish a hair jig

On 7/17/2018 at 7:27 AM, David Chong said:

Thanks grimsbylander! Need all the luck that I can get, hasn't been a great year so far! Unfortunately too busy to get much pre-fish in, but we're working on it! LOL

Just checked the results online. Strange year. Looks like Rideau was a tough bite. You'll kill it on the big river this weekend...you always do. Winds ok out of the south as of now. Good luck.

11 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Just checked the results online. Strange year. Looks like Rideau was a tough bite. You'll kill it on the big river this weekend...you always do. Winds ok out of the south as of now. Good luck.

I was thinking Brownie will be tough to beat on the Larry.  Then I checked the tourney board and see that that won't be a problem for Dave lol.  

And Dutch, Canada Craw.  :whistling:

On 7/15/2018 at 10:50 AM, Dutch01 said:

I'm fishing for smallies from my kayak on one of the deeper Kawartha Lakes next Saturday. I've got three tactics I want to use but I don't want to limit myself. I know there's a lot better bass  fisherman than me on here, so my question is If this was your list, what would you put in slot 4?

1. Topwater

2. Texas rigged craw

3. Drop shot

Drop shot is my personal fav cuz you can use it in a variety of depths and conditions.  TR craw is a good idea but you can also use creature baits. Again, deeper water you'll want more action from the plastic - the reason  wacky works so well is the action it produces when rigged that way..  My order would be:

1. Drop shot or Bubba shot. Lost of fun on ML tackle
  2. Topwater in less than 12 fOW
  3. Shakey Head or Ned for smooth bottom conditions
  4. Wackey senko
  5. Paddle tail swimbait (IE Keitech) Can be fished weedless.
  6. Squarebills and other cranks (based on water depth)
  7. TR plastics. I prefer plastics with a ton of action.