Question for smallmouth guys

Dutch01

I'm fishing for smallies from my kayak on one of the deeper Kawartha Lakes next Saturday. I've got three tactics I want to use but I don't want to limit myself. I know there's a lot better bass  fisherman than me on here, so my question is If this was your list, what would you put in slot 4?

1. Topwater

2. Texas rigged craw

3. Drop shot

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, kickingfrog said:

Topwater, although a topwater would also be number 2 and 3 as well for me. lol

With your other 3 options I'd suggest a minnow/twitch bait or a crankbait.

I looove the topwater bite, it's so fun!

31 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

Depending on the water depth and structure a tube might be #1.

Since tubes mimick a craw I was thinking the Texas rig craw would cover tubes but is weedless. Also worried about tubes killing my line with twist. Do you have any issues with twist?

8 minutes ago, bushart said:

Tubes then grubs----smoke and green are good

Jerkbaits

Wacky senkos always work

Big spinnerbaits are another option

I have a couple rapala husky jerks, I'll throw them in my tackle tray! Got senkos too.

The main reason I'm staying at 4 is I am only taking four rods on the kayak!

Edited by Dutch01

" Since tubes mimick a craw I was thinking the Texas rig craw would cover tubes but is weedless. Also worried about tubes killing my line with twist. Do you have any issues with twist? "

Never did, when fishing open water I used a tube insert jig head, around weeds and wood I would texas rig them, and if you want to you can carolina rig them.

On Lake Erie here weed beds were very limited, mostly in shallower back bays which usually only saw any kind of a smallie bite during the spawn.

Open water I was usually fishing 15 - 25 feet for them, no weeds, just rocks. Just my opinion but a white tube with silver glitter may also imitate a bait fish? and who knows what else? I have also caught steelhead, carp, and walleye on them.

2 hours ago, bushart said:

Tubes then grubs----smoke and green are good

Jerkbaits

Wacky senkos always work

Big spinnerbaits are another option

WOW

There is a name from the past. Hello Terrance

As for smallies

Tubes,spinner baits and jerk baits. I would save the top water stuff for late Aug/Sept.

13 minutes ago, misfish said:

I would save the top water stuff for late Aug/Sept.

I've actually been doing pretty well on suspended bass using topwater lures this summer so far. Plus it's so much fun! But of course if it's not producing I'll switch it up.

22 minutes ago, Dutch01 said:

I've actually been doing pretty well on suspended bass using topwater lures this summer so far. Plus it's so much fun! But of course if it's not producing I'll switch it up.

Interesting. This whole year is screwed up. Lakers are late and smashing baits now. ?

fished north end of pigeon for smallies yesterday. That soupy water is so settled on top of the cool water below we couldnt get anything to bite unless we broke through the thermocline. I think we hit 1 or 2 on the jerkbait, absolutely not even a single bite on the topwater and everything else on drop shotted megabass hazedongs. They were being so finnicky we could hardly get them to bite cross tail shads.

if i had 4 rods?

id be running

topwater

jerkbait

dropshot

craw on a jig

1 hour ago, misfish said:

man...so strange

I would save the top water stuff for late Aug/Sept.

I find around labour day the topwater bite literally vanishes Its like someone turns off a lightswitch and you wont hit a thing topwater till opener next year.

Maybe im weird by my best topwater time is always opener until the lakes get too hot. August i do really well on jerkbaits and then september when the topwater bite shuts off i know its time to go dropshot shoals.

48 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I find around labour day the topwater bite literally vanishes Its like someone turns off a lightswitch and you wont hit a thing topwater till opener next year.

Maybe im weird by my best topwater time is always opener until the lakes get too hot. August i do really well on jerkbaits and then september when the topwater bite shuts off i know its time to go dropshot shoals.

I cam only post what I have experienced on Simcoe. Guess I,ll find out again this fall.

Something I know a bit about.

1) Topwater. Early in AM and a few hours before dusk, the water doesn't need to be dead calm but I like it like glass. I use Rappala.

2)Tubes. When they are lockjawed I find tubes in natural colours best. Pumpkin seed, green metal flake and a tinge of blue. Softshell Crabs in Ont. have a blue tinge to them.

3)Jerkbaits. Many swear by them and they work.

4)Dropshot with live bait. This time of year a 2 or 3 in that is natural to the lake.  By the fall I will use the biggest shiner I can find.

5) Spinners/Spinnerbaits. Black Fury is #1, #2 any mid size SB with Colorado blades.

6) Floating Rappala jerked across the surface.

Art or Blue it took ma 20 minutes or more to type this

Edited by Old Ironmaker