Town of Temagami under evacuation alert.

Woodsman

8 minutes ago, Tom S said:

Wow. That second last guy gave me a butt pucker with the way he turned in, but he backed right off at the end there. Brave fellows, I'd love to go for a ride with one of them.

i dont think any of us regular folk could handle the G's those aces pull. Wed be passed out in the passenger seat.

15 hours ago, irishfield said:

That I was....  on the roof with a rag across my face running a hose for about 9 hours while Leah prepped our "go bags" if we decided to bug out and passed my supper up to me in a bag as I wouldn't come off the roof. Wind was 40 gusting 60 and from the time we spotted the new fire smoke bloom at Crab Lake it only took 2 hours to get 3+ miles down the shore even with 6 water bombers hammering it. In the days to follow I have had the waterslides pump running rotating rain heads to soak the trees and property down. At times on Sunday evening, July 8th, I was actually waving at water bomber captains from the roof and they were waving back!! That close...

This fire had smoldered without being noticed for probably a week before the wind hit it just right and off it went so wildly that the smoke fumes were burning and rolling on top of the trees just like your airtight wood stove does.

On the mornings that I have been able to get out and sneak in a flight I have called in 3 new fires within 18 miles of Town and there have been dozens spring up DAYS after lightning storms. We finally got about a 1/2 " of rain on Sunday and then a good 3" last night that almost sunk my 12'r and Leah's steel boat. Figured with that it was safe to make a run home but if the heat comes back that precip won't be enough to lift any fire ban or stop new fires from starting. Hope to be back up by Thursday night.

Tourism sucks for sure, Lakeland is flying maybe 3 flights a week vs the usual 6 or more a day. All camps and Crown land West of Hwy 11 are off limits so they've had to cancel most bookings for their back lake camps and canoe shuttles to Lady E and Smoothwater PPark.

Fishsevern !! Did you come up?? and where? I'm across from the park!

Will add some pics when I get them downloaded.

We did go up on shoreline avenue. Didnt see any smoke but lots of helicopters. Best cottage vacation we ever had and returning next year. Temagami is a great lake.  Are u the guy with the big slide? I remember a long time ago it was on a members property. Stay safe

9 minutes ago, fishsevern said:

We did go up on shoreline avenue. Didnt see any smoke but lots of helicopters. Best cottage vacation we ever had and returning next year. Temagami is a great lake.  Are u the guy with the big slide? I remember a long time ago it was on a members property. Stay safe

Were you at Ken's place??

Yah, that's us. Built the slide for our daughter in 2014 and we continue to use it in her honour!

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i dont think any of us regular folk could handle the G's those aces pull. Wed be passed out in the passenger seat.

nah. just tighten up and clench up your muscles and you'll be fine. although I don't think they'd be pulling serious Gs but cld be wrong. Wayne ?

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I highly doubt those G's are anywhere near what a fighter pilot endures, infact not even close.

Edited by lew

Exactly Lew. Nobody is out there pulling high G's in a utility aircraft. I highly doubt, even fully banked and cranked to line up for the next scoop, that they are even reaching 2 g's in what look like tight turns due to camera angle. They are making fully coordinated turns in relatively slow flight as they conserve fuel to last as long as they can out on a fire. The CL415 is only rated for a 3.25 Maximum G pull and nobody is going to be testing that out fully loaded with fuel.

38 minutes ago, irishfield said:

They fill to just over 1600 US Gallons Hack and have 4 dump doors. Their pair of turbine engines put out just over 5000 SHP !

I guess you would need that kind of output to climb fully loaded?

58 minutes ago, irishfield said:

They fill to just over 1600 US Gallons Hack and have 4 dump doors. Their pair of turbine engines put out just over 5000 SHP !

Lol. I looked that up last night for the kids and had to convert it to how many bathtubs of water for them to understand (about 20 from my figuring).

12 hours ago, Tom S said:

Lol. I looked that up last night for the kids and had to convert it to how many bathtubs of water for them to understand (about 20 from my figuring).

You are not far off the mark, the median volume for a bathtub is 75 gallons 1600/75=21.333 bathtubs.