Town of Temagami under evacuation alert.

Woodsman

TEMAGAMI FIRE CHIEF JIM SANDERSON HAS JUST SENT THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE...

MNR fire has notified me that they are putting
Temagami on Evacuation Alert. People should be prepared to leave if notified of an evacuation. If people want to leave on their own they need to go North as per MNR direction
The emergency community group is being activated and meeting shortly
Thanks
Jim

Edited by Woodsman

11 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

TEMAGAMI FIRE CHIEF JIM SANDERSON HAS JUST SENT THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE...

MNR fire has notified me that they are putting
Temagami on Evacuation Alert. People should be prepared to leave if notified of an evacuation. If people want to leave on their own they need to go North as per MNR direction
The emergency community group is being activated and meeting shortly
Thanks
Jim

I was just up there.  My inlaws are a couple miles from the fire. The water bombers are scooping water on there lake from fly bys.  Scary stuff up there right now.  

This is truly frightening for those who live up there.  I just keep thinking about those pictures from Fort McMurray. 

Is there any chance the fires are under control and I can take my planned family vacation there next week?  I've got my buddy's place booked right across the water from Findlayson Provincial park.  Was supposed to leave this Saturday.  

• 3 weeks later...

That I was....  on the roof with a rag across my face running a hose for about 9 hours while Leah prepped our "go bags" if we decided to bug out and passed my supper up to me in a bag as I wouldn't come off the roof. Wind was 40 gusting 60 and from the time we spotted the new fire smoke bloom at Crab Lake it only took 2 hours to get 3+ miles down the shore even with 6 water bombers hammering it. In the days to follow I have had the waterslides pump running rotating rain heads to soak the trees and property down. At times on Sunday evening, July 8th, I was actually waving at water bomber captains from the roof and they were waving back!! That close...

This fire had smoldered without being noticed for probably a week before the wind hit it just right and off it went so wildly that the smoke fumes were burning and rolling on top of the trees just like your airtight wood stove does.

On the mornings that I have been able to get out and sneak in a flight I have called in 3 new fires within 18 miles of Town and there have been dozens spring up DAYS after lightning storms. We finally got about a 1/2 " of rain on Sunday and then a good 3" last night that almost sunk my 12'r and Leah's steel boat. Figured with that it was safe to make a run home but if the heat comes back that precip won't be enough to lift any fire ban or stop new fires from starting. Hope to be back up by Thursday night.

Tourism sucks for sure, Lakeland is flying maybe 3 flights a week vs the usual 6 or more a day. All camps and Crown land West of Hwy 11 are off limits so they've had to cancel most bookings for their back lake camps and canoe shuttles to Lady E and Smoothwater PPark.

Fishsevern !! Did you come up?? and where? I'm across from the park!

Will add some pics when I get them downloaded.

Edited by irishfield