Hot water on Pigeon

captpierre

On 7/6/2018 at 10:56 AM, AKRISONER said:

anyone got an idea of where the thermocline is sitting right now up there? im guessing it breaks off after 15 feet or so right now its not that late in the season yet.

no, but from the captain's graph it looks like only the top 5' are soup warm

all fish, not just bass, are cold blooded

I don't know why, but early/ mid July is just a tough bite around this latitude

8 hours ago, chris.brock said:

no, but from the captain's graph it looks like only the top 5' are soup warm

all fish, not just bass, are cold blooded

I don't know why, but early/ mid July is just a tough bite around this latitude

ill be up fishing a tournament in that neck of the woods this weekend. with water that hot the trick is to going to be finding where that nice cool water intersects with structure. slow things down and as mentioned above

try and fill the livewells early. gonna be a tough bite in the afternoon.

I'm not sure why the concern for warm water? It's only surface temp and the largies on Pigeon will be loving it. If there is healthy weed growth, those fish will "bake" themselves in water as shallow as 6". Smallies will be deeper and mostly unaffected by the surface temp. Oxygen levels play a bigger role than temperature. Cold water can hold more oxygen but because bass prefer the warmer water, they stay as long as possible up shallow. I don't care if it's 90+ degrees..if there's healthy weeds, there's active largies. I wouldn't be thinking thermocline in conjuction with a eutrophic type lake such as Pigeon.

5 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

I'm not sure why the concern for warm water? 

85 is an issue especially for tournament fishing. Mortality rates can get pretty nasty when the water is that warm. 

Plus...fishing deep is just not as fun as that shoreline top water bite!

Oh well offshore fishing it is! thats where tournaments are won anyways 

In warm, shallow water with lots of weeds, on a sunny day, photosynthesis can really pump up the dissolved oxygen to way over saturation. I remember sampling as a student, DO saturation was around 8 mg/l and we were measuring 14 in the hot, shallow water. 

On our lake the water is 81 it got as high as 85 July 4th.  What dropped the water temps we think is have wind from a storm.  Stired the colder water underneath up and water temps dropped 10 degrees.  Now back up to 81 as of Saturday night.  

I find as long as the water temperature stays steady the fish will bite.  When its up and down is when the fishing really starts.