Temagami area fires.

Woodsman

Anyone have any info on the current situation? I'm hearing reports of 3 out of control fires in the area. 2 water bombers have been working all day. I hear one fire is heading in the direction of the town. Smoke can be smelt in town.

The North Bay Nugget mentioned them yesterday.

http://www.nugget.ca/2018/07/02/lightning-blamed-for-several-new-forest-fires

There's about 10 fires in all.. probably more today with numerous direct strikes I'm told in the past hour or so, during the current lightning storm.

The fire closest to town is in the NE Arm down past the Broom Islands on the South shore.

All the fires are currently NOT under control, other than one that I know of. We came home yesterday, going back up tomorrow I hope. Also a fire on the South end of Cooper Lake and many more!

We've been up there for just over 6 weeks. It's been 25 to 35C the entire time, with only two days of light showers and one thunderstorm down pour. It's a tinder box everywhere...

nearmfire.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Now a fire that just started on Island 1062. That location is just West of Lockhart's in the entrance to Kokoko Bay. I'd better get back up there asap and soak my own island down.

Edited by irishfield

1062 fire is out thanks to the quick action of area residents with fire pumps!

That said, as of 2 hours ago the MNRF announced that the entire region is a Restricted Fire Zone. Absolutely no fires of any kind are allowed !

Temagami is now in a Restricted Fire Zone! No recreational and or camping fires are allowed! Please help keep our communities safe! Given the spruce budworm outbreak a couple of years back we have a lot of standing dead trees that will ignite! Until they fall we are a ticking Fort McMurray. Please take the Restricted Fire Zone seriously! Thanking all of you in advance for your cooperation!

Propane flame BBQ and candles only. No charcoal or wood BBQ. 

Hope yer place is ok Wayne

11 hours ago, Squid said:

Gonna have to keep an eye on this area. I am planning 5 days at wicksteed lake next weekend.:unsure:

Hope it holds out for ya Pete.

Edited by misfish

7 hours ago, Sterling said:

Shame to see historic Temagami Pine burn :(.

It's supposed to be the cycle of Mother Nature, a forest burns to the ground and replenishes the Earth, except Mom is under stress of climate change. Not fake news. I never remember any 100F days when we were growing up. Believe you me when I was working in the Steel Plant the 1st thing you checked was the Weather Channel for the temp winter and summer. 88' was the 1st time I ever saw 30C predicted on day shift in August and those 30 plus temps lasted 2 weeks, one day hit 40C, a record in Hamilton. We had a frozen Blast Furnace Hearth that took 2 weeks to recover from and I lost the 25 pounds I gained when I was in Italy with my father and brothers just before the shut down, plus another 15 pounds. I looked svelte. We went through 2 @ 53' trailers of powdered Gator Aid.

edit: I don't know if the formula for Gator Aid has changed over t years but back then it specifically said on the packages not to be consumed unless under conditions of dehydration. It is loaded with salt. Guys were taking pacs home and making jugs of it for the family using it like Cool Aid.  Emerg rooms were inundated with children and adults with severe cramping over hydrated. We had to issue notices to read the instructions. I cringe when I see little kids drinking it like soda pop and Mom buying cases on sale. I mentioned it to one young Mom years ago and was basically told to mind my own biz. OK lady.

Edited by Old Ironmaker