NF - Fishing show killed TV, any area repair guys?

Raycaster

Sorry for the title, kinda click bait.

Went to watch some weekend TV fishing and darn 50" LCD TV won't turn on!

Its a cheap Sanyo only a couple years old and was working fine and hate the idea of chucking a whole TV due to 1 blown cap or chip...

Went thru the youtube trying to troubleshoot but I'm a hack electronic guy at best.

Anyone in the Hamilton area do repairs that will end up under the price of a new unit?

Costco has 55" 4K cheapies in the $500 range so not sure its even feasible to repair 3 yr old unit...

I've got 5 Samsungs and they all work great but just the last couple days the 60" started shutting off and then coming back on again. It was happening alot and I thought maybe it was kaput after only 3 years, then I wondered if a connection had come loose with expanding and contracting with the crazy hot weather lately.

Sure enough I tightened everything up and it's now working perfectly again.

Just a shot in the dark but maybe give it a try and see what happens.

I agree with Lew here. Mine did the same thing - not supported message. Gave the cable guys a call and if they came and it wasn't them $75. But go buy a HDMI cable. IT’S your cable, still have to buy it. CT 12.99, dollar store  3.99. The cheap one works fine. And after buying it I find two in a drawer.

Worth try if the connection is gone. Can always return it.

2 hours ago, lew said:

I've got 5 Samsungs and they all work great but just the last couple days the 60" started shutting off and then coming back on again. It was happening alot and I thought maybe it was kaput after only 3 years, then I wondered if a connection had come loose with expanding and contracting with the crazy hot weather lately.

Sure enough I tightened everything up and it's now working perfectly again.

Just a shot in the dark but maybe give it a try and see what happens.

Power surges will cause the same thing. Trust me I know. I have 6 robots at work. I find connections that have jumped off their connections.

If you can get the back cover off there is likely a fuse in the power supply that you could check for continuity. Otherwise look for swollen capacitors with a bulging top or bottom and just give a general scope out for signs of anything burnt like a track or other component. Capacitors are generally the first component to go in most circuits, I've had to repair three satellite receivers and in each case it was a capacitor. Good luck.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Raycaster said:

Sorry for the title, kinda click bait.

Went to watch some weekend TV fishing and darn 50" LCD TV won't turn on!

Its a cheap Sanyo only a couple years old and was working fine and hate the idea of chucking a whole TV due to 1 blown cap or chip...

Went thru the youtube trying to troubleshoot but I'm a hack electronic guy at best.

Anyone in the Hamilton area do repairs that will end up under the price of a new unit?

Costco has 55" 4K cheapies in the $500 range so not sure its even feasible to repair 3 yr old unit...

There is a guy on Barton St by Kenilworth call Branko Audio 905-545-8952  I believe the name is. Fixed mine for $100.00 new power supply might try him he will check it out and tell you if it is worth fixing... 

Edited by Loonietoon