Nipigon Specks, Ottawa Gar & the New Ride.

Moosebunk

Hi Gang!

The past month or so "bought & brought" some new inspiration to write a few stories for the site.  Much of the time through late fall into spring was spent in Nunavut working, what little ice fishing season was had didn't result into much for catching but, there was enough good time spent with friends on many of the days.  Hadn't written much at all.  Some regulars here I keep in better touch with on Facebook but knowing there's a few whom I don't, these few recent reports should catch ya up.  This week I leave for work in Nunavut again, to Coral Harbour at the top of Hudson Bay where I've been a number of times before.  Have never in fact been there in the summer though or, done any fishing.  Hoping for char of course, fresh and strong silver char actually, as it may be a bit early or difficult to access or even find the red fish.  This community is not one with char nearby and, it's not one you just go walking too far off in search of them either.  Told I will be living in a bug jacket if outside and there's more polar bears here to keep an eye out for than anywhere else I've been.  Anyways...  these three links....  Well, one is to Nipigon where I recently spent a week with Bren and friends, the second is a write-up about the new boat, "The Bomber" having gone on to new digs up north, and the third write up is just a short personal diddy about fishing gar the past ten years.  Read on if you like... and enjoy try to enjoy the summer heat a little out there fishing.

NIPIGON FISH & COUPLES RETREAT.

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/nipigon-fish-couples-retreat/

040.jpg

MY LUND EXPERIENCE.

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/my-lund-experience/

000.jpg

OTTAWA RIVER GAR RISES & SETS.

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/ottawa-river-gar-rises-sets/

060.jpg

Bunk.

Looking forward to reading the reports, but thought I might pop in here first.................safe trip, bud!  If there are THAT many bears about, you might want to pack some HEAT!!!!

Of course, if a fella were to shoot a polar bear, even in self-defence, the whole weight of the world is going to come crashing down on his head................

Doug

Well, this has been a most pleasant read on a holiday Monday.  THANKS for taking the time to write them, and THANKS for posting them here!

In the gar story, do I correctly understand that you now live near LOTW?

Doug

4 hours ago, akaShag said:

Looking forward to reading the reports, but thought I might pop in here first.................safe trip, bud!  If there are THAT many bears about, you might want to pack some HEAT!!!!

Of course, if a fella were to shoot a polar bear, even in self-defence, the whole weight of the world is going to come crashing down on his head................

This recent news story is from the same place Doug. I'll be safe. Took the course and may have access to protection this time. :)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/polar-bear-dog-lucky-1.4698920

3 hours ago, akaShag said:

Well, this has been a most pleasant read on a holiday Monday.  THANKS for taking the time to write them, and THANKS for posting them here!

In the gar story, do I correctly understand that you now live near LOTW?

Thanks for reading old friend. Been awhile yes, but no, it's my buddy Pat who moved out there. He actually bought Lake Of The Woods Lodge. Believe it's the first and oldest lodge established on the lake.

How did your spring season go? You and the pals get the cabin again for your week of fishing? 

HOLY CATS BATMAN!!!!!!  TWO polar bears on the hunt, that is downright scary stuff.  First round buckshot to the head, second round slugs to the boiler room...................

Lonnnngggg story about the Loughborough Lake Extravaganza and male Healing Retreat, twentieth Edition, or LLEMHR XX.  Fishing was tough, Honeydew List was long, and that is an idea that has run its course.  It had a good run, twenty years.........

I am now following your blog and commented on all three articles (you young whippersnapper!)

Doug

Sweet new rig!  I don't miss the spray in my face though.  With ipilot technology, the kicker motor kicking, tiller control is no longer an issue for me:  I can crazy Ivan just as well with the Minnkota.  I spend 70 percent of my time at the back of the boat now anyway and that windshield is a godsend going home in 3 footers!!

Edited by porkpie

20 hours ago, porkpie said:

Sweet new rig!  I don't miss the spray in my face though.  With ipilot technology, the kicker motor kicking, tiller control is no longer an issue for me:  I can crazy Ivan just as well with the Minnkota.  I spend 70 percent of my time at the back of the boat now anyway and that windshield is a godsend going home in 3 footers!!

Ohhhhh, I'm sure the time will come when the switch is made here too. In the meantime, for the fishing I do, there's no doubt the tiller is best suited.

3 hours ago, gordy28 said:

Great read as always   As mentioned before really enjoy your writing style - great mix of humour, realism and education!

Congrats on the new boat - that's a sweet looking ride

Thanks Gordy!  Have written my own and read so many others epic reports that it 's kinda tired man, you know?  Every fishing trip, every season, every year, whatever, is made up of the good, the bad and the ugly. Telling an honest story usually means sharing it all, and I like to keep that fun too. 

When reading it again down the road, that's how I like it best remembered. Real!!! With all the frills and follies. Thanks for reading. :)

20 hours ago, akaShag said:

HOLY CATS BATMAN!!!!!!  TWO polar bears on the hunt, that is downright scary stuff.  First round buckshot to the head, second round slugs to the boiler room...................

Lonnnngggg story about the Loughborough Lake Extravaganza and male Healing Retreat, twentieth Edition, or LLEMHR XX.  Fishing was tough, Honeydew List was long, and that is an idea that has run its course.  It had a good run, twenty years.........

I am now following your blog and commented on all three articles (you young whippersnapper!)

Doug

I remember you telling me this Doug. Shot then slug.  Some others have said though, "slug, then slug, then slug, and run and reload, then slug, then slug, then slug!!!"

Got the comments later last night. Thanks for reading man!  Too bad about the LLEMHR.  Find it hard to let go of those kinds of things myself. What we have experienced in our past is always our lives at our younger age. Coming together with others from those times pulls us back a step, a bit closer to youthfulness.  If even just temporarily, it's usually a good place to be in.

i read the lund and the nipigong so far...i have to say, every time you post a report it just confirms that Canada is the best damn country in the world.

ill move on to issue 3 shortly, but thanks for writing these, i know how much time they take! especially because yours are so professionally  done.

On 7/11/2018 at 7:49 AM, msp said:

Love Tina Turner !

Some ain't bad.  Bren tells me seeing her concert was the best she has ever seen. That's coming from a girl who goes to concerts about once a month.  Of all the things in these reports, it got me grinning that you pointed this out. lol

On 7/11/2018 at 9:40 AM, AKRISONER said:

i read the lund and the nipigong so far...i have to say, every time you post a report it just confirms that Canada is the best damn country in the world.

Just the other day was thinking the same thing. For a short time I was watching some kids here in town swimming.  The ice is still clinging onto the sea shoreline, the mosquitoes have arrived big time, the evening temperature was about 12C.  The Inuit children play in that icy water all day long it seems. Parents having to drag them out to go home.  They're as happy as any happy kids anywhere could be.  Further out on the tundra, hunters, campers, anglers or just folks out riding on their ATV's enjoy life, even here, in what southerners often describe as the impoverished and remote corners of Canada, our peace, our land and our riches go sooooo far beyond that of many places in this world.   

12 hours ago, 2 tone z71 said:

Fantastic read like usual,you have my next boat.

What kinda #s ya getting with that 90 as far as top end goes ?

Top end 37-38mph.  Haven't gone to WOT much at all. That speed with that motor in a tiller, takes a little getting used to. Subtle steering.  Backing it off to 31-33mph is about the "cruise control" I like.

Thanks for taking the time to read fellas. Good fishing.