Bass Opening Week Report (Lake Trout & Video)

Good morning OFC! Kind of lost touch with the forum over the winter and spring going to try and keep in touch again with the crew answer some questions and stay a little active again. I was able to take a few days off work and go away for bass opening week with my dad and uncle. We went up a day early so I could get my lake trout fix doing some trolling around with my Lead Core and Bottom Bouncer rig's I was successful and on fish quickly. 

Weather was cool in the evenings ranging from 10-15 degrees at night. Our afternoons were 18-25 through the week with water temps ranging from 67-74. Weed growth was about 2 weeks behind, mind you I found amazing weed beds and grass matts the traditional slop wasn't productive where fresh cut grass that blew in with winds on main lake spot's was key. This June was better for me than most openers, more fish and bigger fish all around. Smallmouth were tough and I'm not one to break out spinning gear to catch 3-4lbr's personally I would rather fish for largemouth in that size with the big rods as I'm more confident that way.

The week started off fairly slow with no fish over 3lb's for me on opener and the following Sunday. Once Monday rolled in I got a nice high 4lbr from shallow cover, more quality fish then the next day I came across two high 4lbr's a few hours apart followed by a 5lbr that evening basically a 20-21lb day of green fish too bad there wasn't a clubby going on haha. Regardless I had 3 really good days and 4 days where the big bite's were just not there however catching 2.5-3.5lbr's was a blast and making the braided line squeal the entire day was satisfying :P 

First Lake Trout 

2wMmFuf.jpg

My Uncle's First Trout of 2018

wwq1PtC.jpg

Dad's turn

bOspto0.jpg

My turn again

OVWVPwZ.jpg

YouTube Video (My Rod/Reels Tackle)

That cover's Friday and my playing around with the Lake Trout. On with some bass pictures and my opening week video edit!

Low 4lbr from the junk. 1oz Tungsten, Punch Skirt, 3/0 Straight Shank Hook and my go to Bully Grass Devil!

n42rh9P.jpg

Another solid fish

BuNSjIP.jpg

Looking for brown fish finding suspending bucket's I'll take em!

8w05Z5t.jpg

Punching Matt's again

D5rkOWE.jpg

3lbr's nothing special lot's of pictures with these, it's the battle that makes these fish fun!

mBtMl3p.jpg

Couple nice fish on the Frog

OFWjuqM.jpg

Off shore fishing with the Texas-Rig Jig on deeper weed, no tanks but some fat fish and a bonus small jaw!

vJhsIBv.jpg

uoedbUm.jpg

xOBH9vZ.jpg

OMqiTIe.jpg

Big fish of the trip came after dinner around 6:30-7pm roughly. I was working my Dog-X Speed Slide (Fancy Spook) outside lilly pads over deep water 14-25' and this fish busted a move behind the plug, walked it maybe 3 times as this bait has a unique head it walks on the spot better than any other spook I've fished, long story short she ate and the battle was on. This fish cleared the surface like a tarpon and gave me the scare of my life haha. 15lb Mono and a 6'10M the fight was on!

Eez9vvB.jpg

oVjJTVx.jpg

Video is 10minutes long so grab a seat and check out what I put together from my trip! Filmed half the time pretty much so got lot's of nice fish on the GoPro! Thanks for reading everybody hope summer is off to a great start for all of you, I'm certainly happy and ready to find some more big fish on the next few trips! 

Tightlines 

MTBF

Edited by MCTFisher9120

What a great report! Very informative especially about how to use both leadcore and bottom bouncers for lakers! I don't generally fish bass but that part was also helpful to bass folks. 

Surprised the lakers were caught so deep this early. 

I did a quick weight on a tank in September of 2016 when I first got onto these fish and with a quick weight in my bass net my biggest would be between 12-13lbs. We caught some that were build like small salmon. The average is 2-6lb's. I had one that wouldn't release back last summer and she was weighed at a little over 7. 2-6 is the average but when fall approaches the bigger Lake Trout showed up.

Thanks for the reply's everybody trip was a blast can't wait to head on another hunt come August with my friend. Some day trips to Rice thru July fingers crossed!

On 7/3/2018 at 9:13 AM, OhioFisherman said:

Nice job!

Thanks for checking it out enjoy your summer!

On 7/3/2018 at 9:48 AM, BassMan11 said:

Great Report Mike. Solid start to the bass season. 

Thanks man it sure was! Can't wait to find some 4 & 5lbr's maybe bigger next month on the deep weed going to be fun!

On 7/3/2018 at 9:02 AM, AKRISONER said:

glad to see another bass crazy guy around here posting pics. I also took 9 days off to fish, ill have a report up soon. 

Well done!

Just saw your report nice job and thanks for the kudos bass crazy I am haha!

On 7/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, MCTFisher9120 said:

Good morning OFC! Kind of lost touch with the forum over the winter and spring going to try and keep in touch again with the crew answer some questions and stay a little active again. I was able to take a few days off work and go away for bass opening week with my dad and uncle. We went up a day early so I could get my lake trout fix doing some trolling around with my Lead Core and Bottom Bouncer rig's I was successful and on fish quickly. 

Weather was cool in the evenings ranging from 10-15 degrees at night. Our afternoons were 18-25 through the week with water temps ranging from 67-74. Weed growth was about 2 weeks behind, mind you I found amazing weed beds and grass matts the traditional slop wasn't productive where fresh cut grass that blew in with winds on main lake spot's was key. This June was better for me than most openers, more fish and bigger fish all around. Smallmouth were tough and I'm not one to break out spinning gear to catch 3-4lbr's personally I would rather fish for largemouth in that size with the big rods as I'm more confident that way.

The week started off fairly slow with no fish over 3lb's for me on opener and the following Sunday. Once Monday rolled in I got a nice high 4lbr from shallow cover, more quality fish then the next day I came across two high 4lbr's a few hours apart followed by a 5lbr that evening basically a 20-21lb day of green fish too bad there wasn't a clubby going on haha. Regardless I had 3 really good days and 4 days where the big bite's were just not there however catching 2.5-3.5lbr's was a blast and making the braided line squeal the entire day was satisfying :P 

First Lake Trout 

2wMmFuf.jpg

My Uncle's First Trout of 2018

wwq1PtC.jpg

Dad's turn

bOspto0.jpg

My turn again

OVWVPwZ.jpg

YouTube Video (My Rod/Reels Tackle)

That cover's Friday and my playing around with the Lake Trout. On with some bass pictures and my opening week video edit!

Low 4lbr from the junk. 1oz Tungsten, Punch Skirt, 3/0 Straight Shank Hook and my go to Bully Grass Devil!

n42rh9P.jpg

Another solid fish

BuNSjIP.jpg

Looking for brown fish finding suspending bucket's I'll take em!

8w05Z5t.jpg

Punching Matt's again

D5rkOWE.jpg

3lbr's nothing special lot's of pictures with these, it's the battle that makes these fish fun!

mBtMl3p.jpg

Couple nice fish on the Frog

OFWjuqM.jpg

Off shore fishing with the Texas-Rig Jig on deeper weed, no tanks but some fat fish and a bonus small jaw!

vJhsIBv.jpg

uoedbUm.jpg

xOBH9vZ.jpg

OMqiTIe.jpg

Big fish of the trip came after dinner around 6:30-7pm roughly. I was working my Dog-X Speed Slide (Fancy Spook) outside lilly pads over deep water 14-25' and this fish busted a move behind the plug, walked it maybe 3 times as this bait has a unique head it walks on the spot better than any other spook I've fished, long story short she ate and the battle was on. This fish cleared the surface like a tarpon and gave me the scare of my life haha. 15lb Mono and a 6'10M the fight was on!

Eez9vvB.jpg

oVjJTVx.jpg

Video is 10minutes long so grab a seat and check out what I put together from my trip! Filmed half the time pretty much so got lot's of nice fish on the GoPro! Thanks for reading everybody hope summer is off to a great start for all of you, I'm certainly happy and ready to find some more big fish on the next few trips! 

Tightlines 

MTBF

Great report!  Those are some monster bass and congrats on the lakers