Largies on the vise

misfish

Im really going to be putting the fly rod first this year. Largies are on my mind right now, and the vise is my friend. So is Youtube. :Gonefishing:

Playing with simple right now, and will go from there.

hZfJc4P.jpg?1

pz4gsvI.jpg?1

KlKQzH5.jpg?1

7gSdF2x.jpg?1

Need to hit Lens Mill, for some thick wool to make some senkos next.

Looking good but I find a longer shank hook with the popper style  so the hard body does not interfere with the hook gap increases the hookups. Wrapping the hook shank with thread before glueing the body on helps too with the body loosening and spinning on the shank.

Edited by dave524

To dave524's point I like the Mustad Stinger Deer Hair hooks for poppers. They've got a nice wide gap to clear popper bodies. 

You may also want to look at reducing the bulk of your flies. When they get overly bulky they become hard to cast and loose their movement in the water. I know the tendency is to try to fill out a specific profile, but remember that in the water all that hair and marabou are going to spread out to fill a larger area. If they are packed together to densely they clump together and loose the constant subtle movements that make the fly seem alive.

You should tie up some Deceivers in perch and bluegill colours, they're a great basic streamer pattern. And some big black buggers as a leech pattern.

I wrap the shank and use super glue then put the popper head on. It is to be wrapped with mono, but I did not have any. That is Maraboo on both poppers. The others are Polar Chinalle and rabbit.  I am just playing with these and yes, I get the longer shank thing.  I have watched  some Deceiver ties. Those things are huge.

They're big, but not bulky or heavy. Bucktail and saddle hackle, lots of movement but they suspend and still have movement between strips, and shed water quickly for the cast.

This is the version that I tie: https://www.saltwaterflies.com/maximumdeceiver.html. Just reduce the hook size to what you need, keep the proportions the same. 1/0 is a nice size for bass.

Just quickly tied up 3 to try. Using ctc olive for the body. Much easier then doing dubbing. Tied on a #10.  Added some light lead wrap, to get it down a bit faster.

xf12qVR.jpg?1

Edited by misfish

I like a version of this: http://www.skip-morris-fly-tying.com/hackled-skip-nymph.html. I think I was fishing a size 6 this morning, a bit bigger to keep the bluegill from becoming a hassle. 

I feel that with nymphs its worth a bit of extra effort to get some realism into them. The goal is a fly that's going to stand up to observation by a fish, as they will often eyeball it before taking it, at least in still water. That bit of hackle wrapped around the abdomen gives the appearance of some legs wiggling around, and the pheasant tail makes a great back.

14 minutes ago, Tom S said:

I like a version of this: http://www.skip-morris-fly-tying.com/hackled-skip-nymph.html. I think I was fishing a size 6 this morning, a bit bigger to keep the bluegill from becoming a hassle. 

I feel that with nymphs its worth a bit of extra effort to get some realism into them. The goal is a fly that's going to stand up to observation by a fish, as they will often eyeball it before taking it, at least in still water. That bit of hackle wrapped around the abdomen gives the appearance of some legs wiggling around, and the pheasant tail makes a great back.

Well, back to the tackle shop to get more supplies. LOL J/K

I watch ties and do my own take, as I do not have all the supplies in the world . That tie looks fun to do and I can mix  it up a bit with what I have. One great tip I picked up is, those tails can be tied with brush bristles. Have been doing it ever since I came across it. 

Thanks Tom

Well I,ll be on the water before the sun starts to make an appearance chasing largies on the fly. 2 fly rods and one rod for spinners or worms. My fly rods will be the go too,s. Other rod will be last resort. Been busy tying this week. A few fly's a night. Here is one, but you will have to wait til my vid comes out to see the others. Me bye Terry will be coming along. Mini 2 man toon bass tourny. :good:

I have not got my wool I need to tie senkos yet, but that is one I am looking forward to tying. 

rG3Wpkv.jpg?1

Well sorry to disappoint Tom. The bite was so off,you would think there was no fish . 4:30 am til 11 and managed 2 small fish, on a leech pattern.. Not a single touch on top water. Talking to a couple of locals, the past few days have been terrible. There was a hatch.  Terry managed 1 or 2. I totally stuck to the fly rods the whole morning. My shoulder and wrist are a bit sore.  That 9wt is a work out.  One thing I will be doing to my poppers is adding weed gaurds. Im sure if I had them on my poppers this morning, I might of gotten a few bites way back in the pads. 

Edited by misfish

Glad I wasn’t the only one having a tough morning. I blame the cold front that is giving us beautiful weather for being outside. Probably pushed the fish deep. 

I landed one 12”er and hooked into something larger but lost it with a nymph. Saw a couple take a pass  at a streamer, but no takers. Sulky fish.