Saturday on a lesser known Kawartha lake

Dutch01

Me and a couple of friends got out yesterday on the kayaks.  Despite the wind and some rain it was a great day. We had six yaks on the water and we caught lots of bass and pike, though nothing of any size. No walleye were caught.

It was a great day and I was happy to be out paddling with a good group of like minded kayakers.

Dutch

DE191425-CB45-4512-8529-4B413E570DCD.jpeg

Edited by Dutch01

2 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Nice pics thanks for taking the time to post

Thanks

1 hour ago, misfish said:

HMMMM Wheres the pontoon guy ? :lol:

Nice going. 

Heh...ummm.... About that... Lol

How are those toons at covering miles??? We probably paddled 15km today..?.?? Isn't your spot 300 meters from shore ? 

A buddy of mine fishes for Lakers by your spot (beige kayak/white jacket in the pic above) and is taking about going there next Saturday. I'm thinking of joining in, I'll give you a heads up if I'm going.

15 minutes ago, misfish said:

15 KM? PFFT

LOL

When Im out for the day on a lake, small lake, I will cover probly 5-7 km. I can row that toon pretty good. I can flip at a good pace as well.

Let me know if your heading up. 

Nice! I didn't know they were that mobile. That's pretty impressive. 

I'll let you know about Saturday for sure, would love to fight a Laker on the yak!

On 6/24/2018 at 8:29 PM, Dutch01 said:

Thanks, I'm hooked on it. Sold my boat even.

I have not sold my boat yet but it is becoming a decoration at the dock. 

Does anyone fish the yak bass tournaments in the area? There is one on Balsam lake on July 7th. I am not sure if the link can be added to the forum however if you search yakfisher you will find the information.

13 hours ago, lunkerbasshunter said:

looks like a fun adventure!  

Cheers!

Adventure is the right word for it. I love fishing of course, but I'm enjoying the paddling a lot too. It's a different way to explore a lake.

6 hours ago, GBW said:

Nice shooting!  Good luck next trip too

Thanks G!

3 hours ago, Freshtrax said:

Looks like fun the Mrs. Keeps bugging me to get a pair of kayaks after this post it's got me thinking I should

You totally should! Many shops will have demo days so you can try before you buy and get the one that fits best for you.

16 minutes ago, sofabed said:

I have not sold my boat yet but it is becoming a decoration at the dock. 

Does anyone fish the yak bass tournaments in the area? There is one on Balsam lake on July 7th. I am not sure if the link can be added to the forum however if you search yakfisher you will find the information.

I don't do tournaments, I really only fish for fun and relaxation. I love Balsam Lake - there are some huge bass in there.

Edited by Dutch01

2 hours ago, PUMP KNOWS said:

That looks like fun!  Any downside to using a kayak?

I would like to give it a shot one of these days.

I will say nothing is right for everyone so I'm sure some people would hate it. I love it, it's really become a passion for me.

Fishing from a kayak is more personal. It's just you and the water and you're sitting on it. You try to paddle quietly and glide into that bay, no noise to spook the fish. And when you get a good one they can turn you around and pull you around. 

One of the things I really love about it is the community of people who are just as passionate about it. I have tons of guys I fish with now, almost none of whom I knew before I got my kayak. We meet up have a Tim's while we rig and launch, and meet up here and there on the water. I have fished a new lake pretty much every weekend this year and I never have to fish alone if I don't want to. (Hint: check out Kawartha Kayak Fishing Club on FB)

If you call Swift Outdoors on the 400 and tell them you're interested in kayak fishing and might want to buy a fishing kayak they'll let you paddle one around the bay out back to check it out. And I recommend you paddle before you buy, each kayak is different and no one yak is best for everyone.

I suppose I didn't mention any "downsides" probably because for me personally there are none. I will say it's not for lazy people because if you decide you want to fish "that bay over there" you're picking up the paddle to get there. Unless you pedal (upside hands free, down side heavier, more expensive and no good in big weeds). I like the paddling and I don't feel it anymore I'm used to it.

Edited by Dutch01

50 minutes ago, PUMP KNOWS said:

Thanks for the feedback.  My only concern was getting tired but I guess its good exercise too

No problem! PM me if you really want to get out and try one out, I'll see what I can arrange. We have a Kawartha Kayak Fishing Club get together on July 21 at Lovesick Lake. I may be able to arrange for a member to bring a spare kayak.

It's definitely good exercise, but it only has to be as hard as you make it.

The beauty of a kayak is they can launch anywhere you can walk to the water's edge, and they can paddle on water shallow enough to ground boats. So if you're not wanting to do a lot of paddling, you can choose to launch at a spot closer to where you want to fish.