Damaged Lowerend - Mercury Optimax

hutch4113

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some assistance.  At the end of the season, I hit a rock and damaged the Skeg.  No biggie I thought, as I have access to someone who works with Aluminum.  Finally able to pull the boat out this weekend, to get it addressed, and ready for the season.  However after we took the Lower End off (which came off fine) we noticed that I had actually cracked the Aluminum further up as well - by the shifter.

Any thoughts on what I should do to get it fix?  And where I should take it? (Barrie, Ontario).  I am not sure it will be a quick fix.  I am checking with my Aluminum guy as well and will see.

I was turning when I hit, so I am guessing that is why I have damage further up.  Mechanically the motor works fine - I used it the rest of the weekend without issue.  (By the way - what do I call that part of the motor?).

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

39 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

That's an owie.  Must have been an awful wack.

39 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

That's an owie.  Must have been an awful wack.

It was.  I thought I had taken out the Hull.  My family heard it from the Island we were staying out, and came out to investigate.  

The name of it is the lower end or lower unit you can purchase reconditioned lower ends from various places. The ability to weld it needs to be looked at closely by a welder. 

Sorry as garnet pointed out I was wrong I thought it was on the lower unit from the picture. 

Art

Yeah, I'd say there is more damage there that you aren't seeing. That's a hard smack to do that. Take a real long, hard, close look at your transom too. 

Oh, and blow the dust off your wallet, your going to need it. 

S.