Oldschool The Fish'n Canada Show

Lord Letto

Fishin' Canada and all the rest. 30 minutes of flogging everything from tackle to tires and everything in between. I had WFN with my Bell package and cancelled it, those shows drive me nuts. Fishin Canada is now a 1/2 infomercial for Cooper Tires and Ram trucks. I don't think Angelo Viola and Pete Bowman should be giving exact GPS co ordinates to the ramps.

I had better log off, I have 2 pals and my wife putting in a new kitchen and I told them I searching Google for door handles.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 6/23/2018 at 3:52 PM, SirCranksalot said:

Didn't 1 of those guys get busted for poaching?

I think it was Italo of Canadian Sportfishing. 

Anyways, i remember delivering newspapers to the Violas on Wecker Dr. in Oshawa.  This was in 1981, i was 12.

Didn't know them, thought they were gay. Later found out were brothers opened Barclays off 401 in Oshawa.

3 hours ago, ehg said:

I think it was Italo of Canadian Sportfishing. 

Anyways, i remember delivering newspapers to the Violas on Wecker Dr. in Oshawa.  This was in 1981, i was 12.

Didn't know them, thought they were gay. Later found out were brothers opened Barclays off 401 in Oshawa.

Henry got busted too about the same time   https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fishing-host-fined-for-illegal-angling-1.165298

yeah, Henry and Italo really black painted all fishing shows with that scandal. everyone assumed they all were doing that and if im not mistaken they claimed everyone was.

Now Henry has been down in Florida for years making "fishing the flats" and Italo is still on TV with Canadian Sport Fishing.

They got busted fishing out of season and taking someone elses fish and putting it on the end of their line. 

Edited by Duckie

yup, Henry and Italo

Fish'n Canada was the ones who decided to change their format to Gangst

they all wore black, lots of bleeping out on the show from swearing

they slapped the bass down back into the water and harassed the driver of their RV while driving down the road

it was sad and embarrassing, to fishermen everywhere

A buddy of mine has guided some very well known TV hosts that were filming episodes.   The stories he tells me are pretty crazy.    Fish caught by other anglers used in the show, fish caught by himself and re-hooked, lol.  Anything for that shot I guess.

Edited by BillM

21 hours ago, BillM said:

A buddy of mine has guided some very well known TV hosts that were filming episodes.   The stories he tells me are pretty crazy.    Fish caught by other anglers used in the show, fish caught by himself and re-hooked, lol.  Anything for that shot I guess.

Crap like that happens all the time on the supposed 'reality' tv shows.

I know an outdoors man that writes for a column, teaches, etc.  He did a small bit for a reality tv show where he camped the night in an old jail.  Suppose to be haunted, etc.  The idea was suppose to be unique, fun, novel, etc.  He said the next day when the crew returned and had nothing interesting to show (no ghosts or strange activity while he camped out) they fabricated some stuff.

Just like Ma and Pa use to say ..... 'you can't believe everything you see on TV'.   :)

21 hours ago, Jds63 said:

I can’t understand how the networks still get sponsors for those shows ... especially Fish TV... 

some of the best fishing videos are on youtube channels... way more informative and in many ways filmed better ...

The fishing industry is booming and advertisers want their info out there.

21 hours ago, Jds63 said:

I can’t understand how the networks still get sponsors for those shows ... especially Fish TV... 

some of the best fishing videos are on youtube channels... way more informative and in many ways filmed better ...

I agree but I think it's a demographics thing.

I see this first hand in my family.  My kids are late teens and they watch almost all video via portable device and YouTube.  Then there is me, I do 50/50 YouTube channels I follow and PVR some of the shows on TV.  Then there are my parents, where they never go to YouTube and do all watching traditional TV.

2 hours ago, Garnet said:

Most you tube or a lot are made by fly weight anglers.

With no credits nothing  to prove angling skill.

And just as boring as fishing shows.

I agree. I don't consider a 20 something that spent time on google a worthy authority on fishing. Ambitious, yes.

3 hours ago, Garnet said:

Most you tube or a lot are made by fly weight anglers.

With no credits nothing  to prove angling skill.

And just as boring as fishing shows.

like anything you have to find the folks that know what they are doing and you can tell they have put in their time, 

there are lot of guys with Youtube channels that have way more credibility as anglers than some of those on TV ...

42 minutes ago, Garnet said:

I've fished against many TV anglers.

And I know how good they are.

Can't think of 1 YouTube worth my time.

That's it right there. It's one thing to record a show with the ability to edit the crap out of it and another thing to have the guts to fish competitively when you have a show. Izumi has forgotten more than most people know.

I fished against Bob when he was parking his rig at Barkly's to go on dates with girlfriend and still his wife.

You needed your A game to beat Bob then and every years since then. That's impressive.

The Itlo  and Henry  thing is way more complicated than stated here. They still don't get a free pass from me.

Itlo is 1 of the best multi specie anglers in the world  and to this day if shows up at a tournament he is

hard to beat.