Minn kota bow mount 14'

zman

Hi Everyone

So as you may know I bought a 14' lund DLX and I'm working on a casting plat form for the bow and also working on mounting the Minn Kota ,

The question I have is can I wire the Minn kota direct to the battery or do I need a special plug ? I currently will a be installing an onboard charger 2 bank 1 bank to the cranking battery and other to the trolling motor battery

I have always had a disconnect for my trolling motor.  I never liked charging with the motor hooked to the battery.  Probably completely harmless but it bugged me.  Princess auto has suitable trolling motor plugs.  It's about $15 for both sides.  Also nice if you have your trolling motor on a quick release!

10 hours ago, porkpie said:

I have always had a disconnect for my trolling motor.  I never liked charging with the motor hooked to the battery.  Probably completely harmless but it bugged me.  Princess auto has suitable trolling motor plugs.  It's about $15 for both sides.  Also nice if you have your trolling motor on a quick release!

can you direct me to the princess auto one? Im guessing its a straight plug and not the round locking type like minkotta sells?

If there was ever an issue with charging a plugged in TM youd hope your fuse would burn up long before anything otherwise happened. Nothing should be able to get hot enough at the TM if there is a fuse down the line.

Also would an alternator ruin your car if that was the case? To each his own anyways....

being a newb i wasnt even aware bank chargers existed until about a year ago...wow what a game changer, id never go without one again.

Edited by AKRISONER

Akrisoner, It is a straight three pronged plug that Princess sells. I actually used one for my Talon as well.

On the new boat, I flip the breaker off before charging the batteries and it seems to work just as well.

As for taking the TM off, with the new one wired direct, it may take 5 more minutes to take the TM off so I am not too worried about it.

I hate the stupid plugs. IF there is ever a place for a problem, its there. I removed mine about 10 yrs ago and haven't looked back. I also never really understood a quick disconnect for a trolling motor? Seriously, why would you ever want to take it off? IMO, its just an easy way for a thief to steal it. Mine is bolted on, no quick release, no plug, and over sized wires straight from the batteries. I don't disconnect anything to charge batteries either. 

Simple and effective. 

S.