Anyone follow Wicked Tuna?

The boys down here have been following the show since it started. It's more about the personalities and onboard drama than catching 500lb fish. Does anyone here on OFC? We all have our favorites and a few we wish fell overboard. I have seen episodes where they have fought a fish for close to 24 hours. They sure earn their money. Dave Marciano in his scow that is held together by duct tape is most of the guys faves. Dave Carrano on the Dot.Com is an airline Pilot that does it for a hobby is least likeable. Without his great crew he couldn't catch a cold. For every fish he catches is 1 less fish for those that depend on the Tuna fishery to feed their families, like Marciano. Up therewith Carrano is the kid who's father bought him a fishing oat to get him out of the house "The Pinwheel," he's a pinhead. There's a few crews that act like The Keystone Cops when a fish is on, mayhem followed by bedlam.

The thing that gets me about this reality show is no matter what sonar they have on board they all make the identical "bdeep, bdeep" when they mark a fish, courtesy of the editors. My Brother-in- Law from SE Nova Scotia grew up commercial fishing with his Grand Father and Father. He hates boats, fish and the ocean. He is the antithesis  of a commercial fisherman, he has a LANDscaping business. He has broken 3 generations of commercial fishermen. He said if you want to know what it feels like to catch a 500 pounder throw a rope over the house and tie it to a fridge, then go to other side and reel it up and over the roof.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I watch it as well. Well, I PVR it and watch it here and there when I watch TV. The scripting is Bull, but the bottom line is these guys are out there catching these fish. I'd love to tangle with one. If you can get past all the made up drama, its not a bad series to follow. Kind of like Deadliest catch.....so much scripted garbage, but those boys are really out there doing what it takes to get 'er done.

S. 

14 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

He said if you want to know what it feels like to catch a 500 pounder throw a rope over the house and tie it to a fridge, then go to other side and reel it up and over the roof.

would it be easier the go to the pantry and fight it out of a can?

1 hour ago, BillM said:

I'm sure they make a pretty penny for being on the show, just like the guys from Gold Rush.  

If memory serves me well, these reality shows pay on a per episode basis. I believe that the "Alaska Bush People" were pulling roughly 10K per episode... split among the family members.

HH

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Gold Rush folks are closer to 100k per episode.  So I guess it really doesn't matter if they get gold or not, lol.

Ratings, ratings, ratings. If you have a winning show they pay. I only watch when I catch it. Years ago I didn't believe my wife these shows were scripted. But then again I lost a 100 bucks when Andre The Giant lost the WWF title to Hogan.

Those Alaska shows kill me, why do they wait until winter is around the corner to get the firewood ready and stock the larder? They are all tough jerk's. I forgot about the Newfs fishing, now that is entertainment. Guys are speaking English and we need sub titles to understand the Jeeezus holy jumpin' Jeeezu bay.  

6 hours ago, Headhunter said:

It reminds me of Cold Water Cowboys. It's gong show and I always end up wondering how they actually make any money! It's a miracle they actually get any fish into the boat!

HH

were-you-not-wsx1l0.jpg

:lol:

Edited by misfish

On 6/21/2018 at 11:21 AM, Headhunter said:

It reminds me of Cold Water Cowboys. It's gong show and I always end up wondering how they actually make any money! It's a miracle they actually get any fish into the boat!

HH

Well, its scripted to be a gong show. I've met a few of the boys off that show, and they are appalled at what gets aired. 

S.