Where is everyone fishing for Bass opener?

I have some commitments down here this weekend and the long weekend we are entertaining some non fishing people.  I may be able to get out before they come up but not sure yet.  I am off for a week during Canada day so I do plan on fishing a lot in the magnetwan area and I am heading to the inlaws for a few days up in marten river/Temagami so that will really be my opener.  

Where are you guys fishing the bass opener.  All signs are pointing for the bite to be on!  

Cheers!

Here in Oakville the bass are still up in the rivers finishing off the spawn I went out on Monday and there were no bass being caught downstream in the harbour and no pike either. There was a small catfish for me in the harbour as well as a steelhead just offshore. I  kept the steelhead for a buddy and when I cleaned it I was suprised to find a fistfull of loose eggs still in her.

The Bass opener often means going into streams well upstream here in Oakville. The  big bass  are staying in the river for a bit to recover from the spawn and to feed on whatever is available in the stream  I assume. Usually there are some honking big females stitting in the same spots as steelhead would be hiding earlier in the year. I believe Aaron used to post bass pics here from local streams during  opening week

1 hour ago, Snidley said:

Here in Oakville the bass are still up in the rivers finishing off the spawn I went out on Monday and there were no bass being caught downstream in the harbour and no pike either. There was a small catfish for me in the harbour as well as a steelhead just offshore. I  kept the steelhead for a buddy and when I cleaned it I was suprised to find a fistfull of loose eggs still in her.

The Bass opener often means going into streams well upstream here in Oakville. The  big bass  are staying in the river for a bit to recover from the spawn and to feed on whatever is available in the stream  I assume. Usually there are some honking big females stitting in the same spots as steelhead would be hiding earlier in the year. I believe Aaron used to post bass pics here from local streams during  opening week

I live in Oakville and grew up fishing 16 mile, bronte, credit rivers.  That is how I learned how to catch bass!  

Cheers!

2 hours ago, misfish said:

I hope the weather holds they are calling for. Light south brezze,over cast and a bit of H2O. Perfect for chucking spinner baits and a minnow fly streamer.  Hitting our opening go to spot.:Gonefishing:

I just saw it looks like some bad weather may be coming all over ontario this weekend.  Good luck at your go to spot!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, lunkerbasshunter said:

I just saw it looks like some bad weather may be coming all over ontario this weekend.  Good luck at your go to spot!

Cheers!

I hope not as far as weather goes for all you guys that still have to work for a living. Openner is on Saturdays, always. I will not go out in the boat on the weekend and the worse for boat traffic of them all is Bass opener. I know folks that fish once a year, Bass opener here. I have seen guys fishing for Bass since last Saturday. I guess they can't read a calendar. Not a CO in sight. I might just go to the Marina and watch the launch follies.

I plan on going out next Monday.

already happened!

Standard tradition for me, family friends host the triple C family bass tournament on the tri lakes last saturday. Me and my partner always run over to pigeon to chase smallies and then in the afternoon go after largies. We caught stupid numbers but couldnt get a lot of size this year. Missed a few big ones but didnt get the big bite we wanted. My buddy jake landed his first musky though on a medium jerkbait rod so that was cool.

Speaking of, the musky fishing on pigeon right now is nuts, the one he landed was the 4th one we had hooked into in 2 days of fishing for bass. Didnt land any others as they proved too much for our light line.

We then bounce up to Pointe Au Baril for the opener this weekend. I have been taking the entire week off for 3 years now and I never regret it. I am sure over the course of the next 10 days of fishing I will find a few bigguns to make up for the small ones on the kawarthas. Should be awesome! Last year i hit a PB on opener, i hope to beat it again this year.

Edited by AKRISONER

36 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

already happened!

Standard tradition for me, family friends host the triple C family bass tournament on the tri lakes last saturday. Me and my partner always run over to pigeon to chase smallies and then in the afternoon go after largies. We caught stupid numbers but couldnt get a lot of size this year. Missed a few big ones but didnt get the big bite we wanted. My buddy jake landed his first musky though on a medium jerkbait rod so that was cool.

Speaking of, the musky fishing on pigeon right now is nuts, the one he landed was the 4th one we had hooked into in 2 days of fishing for bass. Didnt land any others as they proved too much for our light line.

We then bounce up to Pointe Au Baril for the opener this weekend. I have been taking the entire week off for 3 years now and I never regret it. I am sure over the course of the next 10 days of fishing I will find a few bigguns to make up for the small ones on the kawarthas. Should be awesome! Last year i hit a PB on opener, i hope to beat it again this year.

Wow that is amazing you can do that every year.  Good luck on catching the big one this weekend!  Cheers!

12 hours ago, Pikeslayer said:

I'll be on Home Lake in zone 15 again this weekend. Bite was on last weekend for pike & walleye and the bass were very aggressive  on these spots as well. Looks like theyre fully recovered  here & ready for opener ?

Yeah so excited.  Cant believe I'm not up there on Saturday grrrr.  Oh well Im going up Wed now to get some fishing in before company arrives Friday.  

Cheers!

19 minutes ago, BillM said:

Most likely on Tuesday however as this storm rolls through on the weekend.   I don't need to dry out the boat again.

open the lids and take her for a drive lol...were getting soaked, hopefully by july it will dry out...you cant stop us from that opener bite when those big girls are sitting in 3 fow crushing topwater.

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Spinnerbaits and jerkbaits for me for the opener.   Topwaters closer to Aug in the early morning/evenings.    Although I'll take a topwater bite over ANYTHING if I had my choice.

I assume smallmouth ?

The thread topic says BASS opener don't you know !

2 hours ago, BillM said:

Spinnerbaits and jerkbaits for me for the opener.   Topwaters closer to Aug in the early morning/evenings.    Although I'll take a topwater bite over ANYTHING if I had my choice.

crazy enough bill, on pigeon saturday we couldnt get a nibble on the jerkbaits, the only thing eating them was musky lol

Like 90% of our fish came on the giant dog x and zara. the other 10% were basically all caught on whacky senkos

If (and that’s a big if) I’m able to slip out for a hour or two on Saturday morning I’ve got my eye on a local pond that looks to be full of smallies. Most likely fishing poppers, divers, and streamers with a fly rod. Might even break out the bamboo rod for some real fun.

I never make a big deal about bass opener. I'll likely be getting my gear and boat ready for a guys poker/fishing weekend at a buddys cottage. About 15 of us. Walleye and to a lesser extent smallmouth bass, will be the targets on the July 6,7,8 weekend for me.