NF - Travel Trailer or Toy Hauler (Stolen trailer)

atvaholic

Got a call the other night, the bro-in-law asked if I had taken my trailer home that I had parked on his property. I could only imagine what he was getting at...yep, it was GONE. They cut the chain and off with it in the middle of the night... So if someone offers you a great deal on 2012 KZ Sportsmen...

Anyway, I called the insurance and I had no idea but apparently they need to replace it with a 2018 with similar specs. We have an option of upgrading, though we need to wait 2-4 weeks for the police to finish their "investigation", so our July trip is off :( 

I have an ATV I like to bring, so I was thinking about a toy hauler. My problem is, I don't know of anywhere to camp and ATV. (i usually camp in central Ontario)I figured this might be a good place to ask.

Any suggestions? We loved our KZ, but no matter where we brought it, it seemed to attract mice! That sucks. Not sure if any types/models are better in this regard. I know nothing about toy haulers.

Oh, and I haul with a half-ton, so Id like to keep it between 24 - 26 ft.

Here is a picture of our trailer. Some great family memories, the kids were devastated to hear it was gone.. RIP trusty sportsmen

IMG_1734.JPG

Edited by atvaholic

We pull a 2015 Jayco Whitehawk (30') with an F150 (Ecoboost and max trailer tow).  It wiehgs about 5,500# dry.With a high end hitch set up properly I pulled it to the east coast last year and didn't know it was there half the time. As far as a toy hauler you will need at least 34' to get the useable interior space you need. Most campgrounds dislike ATV's so you may have a prob combining the two activities.

I'm surprised the Insurance provider is talking replacement so soon after the theft. They usually hold their coin in their pockets as long as possible. Tell them to rent you a trailer for the trip. What if it was a car or truck? RV's I don't know but I'd ask for sure.

Nobody was surprised more than me. They told me they have to wait 2 - 4 weeks for the police investigation. If they did not locate the trailer, then they need to replace with a 2018 with similar specs. I guess we'll see. If they are going to replace the trailer, i'll do without the trip.

1 hour ago, John said:

We pull a 2015 Jayco Whitehawk (30') with an F150 (Ecoboost and max trailer tow).  It wiehgs about 5,500# dry.With a high end hitch set up properly I pulled it to the east coast last year and didn't know it was there half the time. As far as a toy hauler you will need at least 34' to get the useable interior space you need. Most campgrounds dislike ATV's so you may have a prob combining the two activities.

There are actually several 26 foot with 12 foot (give or take) garages. I just dont know much about them. and yes I know how many campgrounds are, but was hoping there was someplace I can take it..or else will just get another travel trailer.

Yes there are smaller haulers but then in most cases the garage serves as sleeping accommodation. There are probably many campgrounds that will take you with an ATV but finding one with land where you can ride it may be a challenge.

You can always camp at Wasaga Beach and ATV from there.  The town of Wasaga Beach is ATV friendly and you can ride right to the trails from there, about 80km of trails.  Check the COATV website for more info or ask at that site.  If you can't get into it, ask me.

Just now, vance said:

Sid Turcotte park in Mattawa is very atv friendly and is just a short hop from the Voyageur trail system.  You are allowed to ride everywhere except on highway 17.

vance  

Yup, what he said,  our club has gone up there a few times and really likes it.