Any Garmin Panoptix fans out there?

b_cdot

I am not sure I would agree with Garnet that 360 or panoptics are necessary but I will say they are cool.

My tournament partner last year sold his 360 because you have to be essentially sitting still to get a clear picture. At least, that is what he found.

I know a few guys with panoptics and they love it. One uses it a lot to look under docks for fish while the other uses it everywhere.

and yeah, live scope looks awesome.

I am looking at new electronics also,I heard you can follow the contour lines with the hummingbird with a ultrex as well as spot lock. I think being able to follow the contour lines is an awesome feature.

I dunno. It seems to me as soon as the new technology is out it is a year outdated. But looking at the thing I sure would love me one. My Garmin's have always been my best electronics over the years. I still use a 23 year old black and white sonar. I use that for sonar and the Humminbird set on GPS. When I switch the HB to sonar to check the accuracy of the old, and I mean old Garmin it matches. HB shows a hook sure enough the old girl shows a nice fish image and a beeeeep beeeep, I wish a new huge Garmin like Big Dave's units were in the budget. Not this year.

I'm afraid to ask, how much $$?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

12 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I dunno. It seems to me as soon as the new technology is out it is a year outdated. But looking at the thing I sure would love me one. My Garmin's have always been my best electronics over the years. I still use a 23 year old black and white sonar. I use that for sonar and the Humminbird set on GPS. When I switch the HB to sonar to check the accuracy of the old, and I mean old Garmin it matches. HB shows a hook sure enough the old girl shows a nice fish image and a beeeeep beeeep, I wish a new huge Garmin like Big Dave's units were in the budget. Not this year.

I'm afraid to ask, how much $$?

I got them on sale. ;)

Ended up costing me somewhere between $1,500 and $1,700 all in for the two units.

3 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I got them on sale. ;)

Ended up costing me somewhere between $1,500 and $1,700 all in for the two units.

That is actually quite a fair price, no I should say great price considering a 5 inch Bird combo is going for around 500 bucks then you have to buy a card for it at another 100 or more depending on what maps you need. It would be tough for me to say no if a deal like that came up for me. All I would need to do is remove 1/2 of the new floor that was laid a few weeks back and return it to get the cash for the Garmins. You see another deal like that Dave and you have to let me know. Even if I no longer have the Bassassin I would need a new boat to justify the cost of the 2 units. It's kind of like my wife designing  a new kitchen remodel based on the new faucet style.

3 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That is actually quite a fair price, no I should say great price considering a 5 inch Bird combo is going for around 500 bucks then you have to buy a card for it at another 100 or more depending on what maps you need. It would be tough for me to say no if a deal like that came up for me. All I would need to do is remove 1/2 of the new floor that was laid a few weeks back and return it to get the cash for the Garmins. You see another deal like that Dave and you have to let me know. Even if I no longer have the Bassassin I would need a new boat to justify the cost of the 2 units. It's kind of like my wife designing  a new kitchen remodel based on the new faucet style.

No problem OI. I'll let you know.

My 9" is chirp and the 7" is the older non-chirp.

I bought the 7" for nav duty. It was on close out as they were being discontinued.

The 9" was on sale during boxing week.

1 hour ago, MJL said:

I don't own a Panoptix unit (or a Garmin sonar), but I would love to try using it off a pier for staging salmon and trout from shore.

you forgot to mention your favourite fish CARP

On 6/17/2018 at 9:27 AM, MJL said:

I don't own a Panoptix unit (or a Garmin sonar), but I would love to try using it off a pier for staging salmon and trout from shore.

This would be really cool..   You'd probably spend more time looking at the screen then fishing Mike!  lol!   

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BillM said:

This would be really cool..   You'd probably spend more time looking at the screen then fishing Mike!  lol!   

That's exactly what we did when I got my first Eagle Ultra 30 years ago. 3 guys huddled around the thing and no one watching until we hit a big rock sticking out of the water 3 feet. Duhhh. The 3 Stooges go fishing. It' true, you won't take on water with a big hole in the bow once you are on plane. The problem is the time you aren't running WOT.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

5 hours ago, BillM said:

That would be true Bill. But considering that I do that ice fishing, I wouldn’t feel so bad.LOL

Main issues to consider using it off a pier:

1. There’s a high probability that it will be stepped on or kicked off a crowded pier.

2. If you hook a Chinook and it runs around the corner of the pier, do you chase it and leave a $2300 unit behind unattended? Anyone remember the time when a guy at Bronte pier was having a heart attack and some guy decided to steal his 13’ Loomis GL2 and Islander combo?
  3. You become the ‘guy’ who knows what’s up. You will have neighbours, and quick!

I’m patient and I can wait till the price comes down. Maybe.LOL