Waterspout becomes Tornado in Selkirk On.

Around 5 the sky got pitch black, the wind picked up and the thunder started. The rain came down in buckets, the lights flickered a few times. lost the TV and Internet. Nothing unusual here on Erie. Around 7 I decided to go to the village and get myself a treat as my wife is working the afternoon shift at her store. I had to move some branches from behind the car. As I pulled out my neighbour Paul saw me and asked if I had been out since the storm. The lakeshore was impassable when he tried to go to town earlier and trees were across Lakeshore Drive. I headed towards town and saw Hydro trucks and Haldimand County vehicles everywhere. The graders were out pushing debris off the road. I passed a few places and saw 80' or taller Maples ripped from the lawns. 40' wide roots on Jennie's manicured Golf Course like yard. Oh my. She's standing there looking at the carnage with tears in her eyes. At the creek the OPP were there with the road blocked. I went back to the cottage to get my phone/camera. Of course I don't know how to use it, got it last Friday. Went the back way into town. Power was on and everyone was standing around looking past the OPP blockade. The story is a Waterspout was seen coming straight off the Lake heading North. It hit land and became a Tornado. It went straight up Erie Ave. and took massive trees out along the way. I am told 1 lady was taken by ambulance when a tree fell on the car she was in. I saw some singles missing on the roof and where a steel roof that was peeled back. It should be in our Newspaper sometime in July. This was a bad one. Go online and Google Tornado damage photos to see what the aftermath was. Thank goodness just trees and roofs and not homes and people.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

And you didn't stop to help me with the reno, nice guy. Actually I booked off yesterday and went to the boys Marine on RR3 for a Walleye fry up, and steak on the Q. Little Buddy had to clean out a freezer at the farm, lost power until early Friday AM. My win. A heads up, Rainham Drill Rig Museums Perch fry tonight on Kohler Rd.  That's all I know.

Yes Tom, like I said I didn't even know it that bad of a storm until I got to Marylynn's place 5 doors down. Her yard is still covered in firewood.  A few hundred meters from there a 70 foot willow is laying in a field.

Sorry Ohio, levels are as high as they were last year. Highest I have seen in 23 years here. Boat slips underwater. Zero beach, a few years ago we had Volley ball nets and Horse Shoe pit.

EF-2 a few klics away and I felt nothing here and am thankful. Windy yes but not Tornado windy. Anyone want good Maple, Ash and Oak  firewood? neighbours are happy if you take it all away.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

11 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Sorry Ohio, levels are as high as they were last year. Highest I have seen in 23 years here. Boat slips underwater. Zero beach, a few years ago we had Volley ball nets and Horse Shoe pit.

EF-2 a few klics away and I felt nothing here and am thankful. Windy yes but not Tornado windy. Anyone want good Maple, Ash and Oak  firewood? neighbours are happy if you take it all away.

Just wondering Old, haven't seen the lake except in pictures and videos since Deg and Whopper got me out on Erie, must be 10 - 12 years ago? As I recall the boat was leaving a mud trail as we left the dock, it needed a couple more feet of water then.

Thanks for the ling Mr. G mech. you guys got hammered. I had to go to Simcoe today and came down Old 24 and down through Waterford. Some places looked like Kansas around Blue Line. Bad here in Selkirk but no comparison. Only 1 minor injury is amazing considering the carnage. It should say 2 injuries actually , the lady in Selkirk suffered a fractured arm. Lucky to say the least.