External Transducers

Musky Plug

Hey guys, 

Just recently got around to installing the bow mount motor but have come to a bit of a road block as to how to install the side image transducer on it. So my question is what is the best way to go about installing it and what is a solution for the extra cable? Does anyone have any experience installing one? Any help would be appreciated.  

this is what i used

https://www.amazon.ca/Rig-Rite-Manufacturing-300-Transducer/dp/B0000BVFUU

really really simple, you use the mounting bolt and their washers to stick it to the bottom of the motor head. Then tighten the O clamp.

your trolling motor is either cable drive and the shaft doesnt move so you can just tape the wire to the shaft like this 

3.jpg

If you are running a Terrova or other deploying motor that needs to slide through a bracket, theres an indent on the shaft to run the cable up. Super straight forward stuff.

Im guessing both of your units console and trolling motor are both side imaging? If not i highly suggest running your side imaging unit at the console as side imaging is much more effective while moving/trolling (used for finding structure etc) down imaging and standard sonar are much better at the trolling motor screen. If you are networked...more power to you!

Edited by AKRISONER

Yes I have seen a few videos showing on how to silicone the wire to the slot in the shaft and I was going to do this however with the newer models of the Terrova (what I have) you aren't able to do this because of the new lift assist mechanism. I have come across this, it looks pretty sweet.

https://www.facebook.com/precisionsonar/videos/1439205629445500/

Yes they're both side imaging and one is g2 and the other is g2n, so I'm unsure if they can be networked together.

this about explains it

Also...if only one unit is G2N they unfortunately cannot be networked together.

Do you know if your new terrova has ipilot link? or just normal ipilot? with your G2N unit you could purchase the new lakemaster ontario card and use it to control your terrova. You can make it drive along depth lines along a shoreline etc...really cool stuff.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

this about explains it

Also...if only one unit is G2N they unfortunately cannot be networked together.

Do you know if your new terrova has ipilot link? or just normal ipilot? with your G2N unit you could purchase the new lakemaster ontario card and use it to control your terrova. You can make it drive along depth lines along a shoreline etc...really cool stuff.

I will have to try again when I get home tonight but however last time I tried I wasn't able to feed it through. And mine is I Pilot not I Pilot Link.  

20 minutes ago, BassMan11 said:

I had this issue with my Ulterra and used a variation of this method:

Been using it for over a year and have never hard a problem. I used a small weed eater recoil for the cable management. 

That's pretty slick. If the other method doesn't work, I'm going to try this. 

I'd buy a transducer saver and shield for your TM to mount the SI transducer to. It provides some protection. I currently have a mega DIU on mine and will be buying one because it is a lot cheaper than the transducer and I know I will bash it against a rock or something.

As for the wire, mine is cable tied to the shaft with slack built into the top around the head of the TM. I have an ultrex so you need some slack up there in order to not snap the wire. The leftover cable is coiled and zip tied to the cables coming out of the head.