Underwater Pike Fishing Footage - LiveTarget Swimbait, Umbrella Rig, Savage Gear Eel

PUMP KNOWS

Nice videos, again Pump. Well done. It has always amazed me when we watched underwater action when Snorkelling how un natural and static terminal tackle, like a wire leader, makes your presentation look. May I suggest shortening up the videos a bit editing out the dead time, you will get more views. When I see a video is more than 5 mins. I usually pass.

That was way cool again.

Can you post a pic of this camera your using please also how you hook it up to your line. I am interested in getting one for jigging lakers and white fish. 

Thanks

Edited by misfish

On 6/12/2018 at 11:10 AM, Old Ironmaker said:

Nice videos, again Pump. Well done. It has always amazed me when we watched underwater action when Snorkelling how un natural and static terminal tackle, like a wire leader, makes your presentation look. May I suggest shortening up the videos a bit editing out the dead time, you will get more views. When I see a video is more than 5 mins. I usually pass.

Thanks.  I'm actually using a flurocarbon leader in these vids and it doesn't look invisible at all.  As for length of the vids, it's still work in progress. 

On 6/12/2018 at 11:36 AM, OhioFisherman said:

Cool! Interesting look on the a -  rig. Never got to try one, but those might have worked well for Erie smallies.

My first time using an a - rig and I'm glad I did.

11 hours ago, mamona said:

For me, videos like that are truly interesting. Thanks to them I can see pike in action (and maybe learn a little bit). I do not mind lengthy videos. If I am bored, I just use FW :)

I like keeping my vids raw so I can watch and learn from the details. 

11 hours ago, Terry said:

Real cool watching the pike strike

Some strikes, I don't even feel on my end.  I'll be watching the vids and I'll be shocked a strike happened.

10 hours ago, BassMan11 said:

Awesome vids.

Thanks

5 hours ago, misfish said:

That was way cool again.

Can you post a pic of this camera your using please also how you hook it up to your line. I am interested in getting one for jigging lakers and white fish. 

Thanks

Thanks.  The Camera is called a Water Wolf HD Camera.  Here's how its rigged on a line...  I was thinking of using it for ice fishing this winter.

image.png

mamona, I think we can only guess at that, I used to pitch a floating Rapala into holes in the lily pad fields at Pointe Au Baril, you could see L/M bass rise right up behind them, some would commit with a twitch and some would just swim away.

I am just guessing it happens a lot more with lures we can't see?

22 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Pump, this video is pretty good at covering the A - rigs.

Ohio only allows 3 hooks, but you can load up the other wires with dummy lures.

In Ontario we're allowed 4 hooks on one line, I had to cut one of the wires off.  Those guys are the awesome.

10 hours ago, mamona said:

Any idea why the fish would decide not to bite at the very last moment?

https://youtu.be/H2AXVUvmowU?t=252
https://youtu.be/H2AXVUvmowU?t=348 - this one's left eye is interesting
https://youtu.be/H2AXVUvmowU?t=440

Maybe the retrieve was already near the surface, they probably saw me looking down at them and they got spooked?  The one with the left eye looks like it could've been an infection?  It would've been cool to have caught it.

Pump, ya I noticed that 4 wire set up first thing, and according to this you can use 5 wires but have to leave one hookless.

http://alabamarig.com/regulations/four-hooks-legal-fishing-the-alabama-rig-in-ontario/

We can only use 3 hooks here, the top 2 would probably get a couple of 3.5 willow blades or a screw lock and dummy bait with no hooks.

In that video they mention using 3 baits and leaving the bottom wires empty to make it more snagless in rocky areas, I just wonder if the 3 baits on the top wires throw off the balance?

You can get 5 wire a - rigs on ali for a couple of bucks.

Pump you said:

Thanks.  I'm actually using a flurocarbon leader in these vids and it doesn't look invisible at all.  As for length of the vids, it's still work in progress

I have been using flouro leaders and or line here on Gin clear Lake Erie since it came out. 1 small nic in the flouro and it is no longer invisible. Tie a few leaders of flouro and wrap them around a piece of round foam. They sell things that will hold pre made leaders. After a few strikes, especially Pike or Walleye, check the line with your fingers and if you have a nic change it.  Even if it looks clear just under the surface it may not be underwater.

Keep them coming, and yes I also just fast forward if too long for me.

I was wondering if umbrella rigs are legal here in Ontario. I will read what Ohio's link says about it.

Read it, pretty clear 4 individual hooks only. I would have thought 6, because I can have 2 trebles on a single lure and that's 6 hooks really. I'm glad I read this, I was going to use all 5 but will have to take off 1 hook to be legal, thanks Ohio.

I love these videos - fun to watch, but also VERY telling. 

What really stands out to me is how frequently fish will abandon a chase. This isn't exclusive to pike, lakers do it lots and also miss their mark frequently.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:12 AM, OhioFisherman said:

Pump, ya I noticed that 4 wire set up first thing, and according to this you can use 5 wires but have to leave one hookless.

http://alabamarig.com/regulations/four-hooks-legal-fishing-the-alabama-rig-in-ontario/

We can only use 3 hooks here, the top 2 would probably get a couple of 3.5 willow blades or a screw lock and dummy bait with no hooks.

In that video they mention using 3 baits and leaving the bottom wires empty to make it more snagless in rocky areas, I just wonder if the 3 baits on the top wires throw off the balance?

You can get 5 wire a - rigs on ali for a couple of bucks.

I have something in the works on my next a-rig, I hope it works out.  Thanks for the heads up on ali

On 6/15/2018 at 6:28 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Pump you said:

Thanks.  I'm actually using a flurocarbon leader in these vids and it doesn't look invisible at all.  As for length of the vids, it's still work in progress

I have been using flouro leaders and or line here on Gin clear Lake Erie since it came out. 1 small nic in the flouro and it is no longer invisible. Tie a few leaders of flouro and wrap them around a piece of round foam. They sell things that will hold pre made leaders. After a few strikes, especially Pike or Walleye, check the line with your fingers and if you have a nic change it.  Even if it looks clear just under the surface it may not be underwater.

Keep them coming, and yes I also just fast forward if too long for me.

I was wondering if umbrella rigs are legal here in Ontario. I will read what Ohio's link says about it.

Read it, pretty clear 4 individual hooks only. I would have thought 6, because I can have 2 trebles on a single lure and that's 6 hooks really. I'm glad I read this, I was going to use all 5 but will have to take off 1 hook to be legal, thanks Ohio.

When you wrap your pre made leaders, don't you find it coils too much?  I was hoping to make a leader container out of a pvc pipe to keep them straight.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:58 PM, Sterling said:

I love these videos - fun to watch, but also VERY telling. 

What really stands out to me is how frequently fish will abandon a chase. This isn't exclusive to pike, lakers do it lots and also miss their mark frequently.

I usually get a lot of follows to my feet and its a mixed bag if they hit or not.

No I haven't noticed them curling up. I am using thinner leaders though, maybe higher pound test for Pike etc. may curl, yes never thought of it. Charlie Wray who flogs  Seagar leader material uses round leader holders. A piece of ABS with the leader strung end to end will work, no curl.

See what happens when you pop the swimbait or give it a quick few jerks/shakes here and there. Straight retrieve then shake the rod every 10 secs or so. Might trick a few followers. Would be interesting to see the reaction

3 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

No I haven't noticed them curling up. I am using thinner leaders though, maybe higher pound test for Pike etc. may curl, yes never thought of it. Charlie Wray who flogs  Seagar leader material uses round leader holders. A piece of ABS with the leader strung end to end will work, no curl.

I was thinking of making these...

3 hours ago, JoshS said:

See what happens when you pop the swimbait or give it a quick few jerks/shakes here and there. Straight retrieve then shake the rod every 10 secs or so. Might trick a few followers. Would be interesting to see the reaction

I'll remember to try that next time

Yep that will work Pump, maybe not for flouro though. Nice and neat easy to get out. Plus not much $$$$. The one in the pic looks to hold wire leaders. I am thinking flouro may get carbunkled* all together if loose in the tube. Try a few wrapped around 1" Styrofoam noodles. I got a few 1" noodles they used as packing on the chair legs my wife brought home. See if they get memory curl.

* One of the oldtimers from work Oswaldo Giacomelli called birds nests Carbunklements. Now we do. His legacy is greater than that. Google his name, what an interesting youth he had. Prisoner of War at 16 here in Canada. He was born in here in Canada.