DEERFLIES!!!!!!

Mr.Topwater!

Hi everyone. Does anyone know of a repellent(safe) to use on dogs. I read that certain essential oils help. Has anyone tried them. My little Lab is bombarded with them when we go out. I carry an evergreen branch to "sweep" them off her. I literally have to pluck the little my mom hates me off her belly. I loathe them. HELP!!!!

Deet isn't good for humans but we use it anyway. Why not pets as well?  We care for our little buddies better than ourselves that's why. I am allergic to Deer Flies, those little buggers take chunks of flesh, then my face and lips blow up like a balloon, ask me if I remember the Benadryl? Never. Me a stupida idiota. That's Italian for I forgot the Benadryl and may die.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

That's primarily why we stopped bringing our pups up that way in June. We miss bringing them, but the bugs drive them crazy.   Last time we brought our Lab, she got bit which turned into a nasty infected wound.   We bring them in September and I think they enjoy being with us

Edited by Rich Clemens

There is nothing licensed for deeflies on dogs. 

I would think a light dose of deet would be safe. Stay away from eyes and mouth. 

Have you seen the plastic dragonfly on a wire that you clip onto your hat? Advertised to keep deerflies away. Might be able to clip onto a dog’s collar

The best thing is to keep them away from deerflies. I honestly don't think deet works on those guys or they will find the little spot that doesn't have deet. This is better than the dog licking that stuff and burning its insides.

Not for dogs, but for humans, try this. When the little bastages are flying around your head, put your hand on your head, palm down. They will land on your hand and you can whack 'em. Once whacked, dig a hole in the ground,  two feet deep. Drop the stunned deer fly into the hole and fill with cement mix to just be low grade. Put a rock on top of the pile and start running. It will find someone else when it emerges from the ground.

HH

39 minutes ago, Sinker said:

I find a thermacell works pretty good on them if your just hanging around in one area. 

S. 

i have heard great things about this Thermacell ....  almost sounds too good to be true !!!

I see more of it on the store shelves  ... looks a little pricey .... but may have to try it out ..heading up north of Nakina in July 

Deet does not work on the savages. Keeping the dog away from them is out(we live where the deerflies live). Dynamite might work, but might be detrimental to her also. The effective deer fly repellent has yet to be invented.

Written from my screened-in porch sanctuary.

They tear me apart, so when they are in season I am always wearing long pants, socks and shoes out in the boat.  I have no idea how guys can be out fishing in shorts and sandals when they are around. I guess covering up is the best option.  The dog might not like that though.

Never got too many deer flies down here on Erie and Ontario but the buggers that got me were the housefly looking ones that bit,  think they were stable flies and they always seemed worse when rain was on the way. Could never figure out why stable flies were 5 miles offshore :wallbash:

Get one of these and keep it handy. Great out in the boat as it will keep you entertained until you get a hit. I've had mine for years, highly entertaining and effective. Those one's you at CTC just don't work well, this version has the horsepower to do major damage... just don't try it on yourself, don't ask me how I know!

https://www.amazon.com/Executioner-Swat-Mosquito-Swatter-Zapper/dp/B003TT3GDC

HH

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎11 at 1:26 PM, Headhunter said:

Not for dogs, but for humans, try this. When the little bastages are flying around your head, put your hand on your head, palm down. They will land on your hand and you can whack 'em. Once whacked, dig a hole in the ground,  two feet deep. Drop the stunned deer fly into the hole and fill with cement mix to just be low grade. Put a rock on top of the pile and start running. It will find someone else when it emerges from the ground.

HH

HH, you can be funny. That's a good one. You should contract it out though, those Deer Flies Feel Pain too groups will have you charged.  And those Tennis Racket electric zappers sting a bit but Do not touch them with your tongue, don't ask me either.

I never thought about the pets licking off the Deet. That can't be good.

You have to train your pet iguana, named Remora, to ride on your dog near the back of the neck, and train your dog to tolerate her doing so. You won’t  have to buy any iguana food until after deer fly season is over.