Tried my hand at guiding this morning

misfish

A member here was asking about down rigging for lake trout  on Simcoe.  So me and my big mouth,chest puffed out , " I,LL GUIDE YOU IF YOU WANT"

So plans are made,. I suggest to him what spoons to buy and what not. Set a time and location for meet up. I have only been fishing from the toon jigging for whites and lakers so far, but I figured a rest from the toon would be nice. Sit back on a motorized vessel and catch some fish.    The laker bite has been tough for me and by all reports for others. I thought maybe the other anglers were just not on the right spots or baits. LOL J/K.

Im an hour early waiting, as I am always up and gone at the crack of Lew hour . My customer shows up on time. We rig up the boat and away we go.  We get to the drop spot and start trolling. And trolling, and trolling. Im watching the screen and it shows 2 lines. His canon ball and mine. Not a fish for the first hour or so. Im thinking ya dumb ass, nice guiding. Had my go to flutter spoon on and he a silver fox flutter spoon on the other. These are proven baits on this lake for lakers. As we make a turn, we mark a fish rising on the finder. Ok, eyes on the rods. NADA. Troll some more, and some more. We rigged from 127 fow up to 80 fow. We marked 3 fish and 2 pods of bait. We trolled and trolled with not a fish to play with. Defeat was setting in. I had failed as a guide. :unsure:

BONUS TO THIS REPORT

I made another OFC friend, and I hope I passed on enough knowledge, for him to keep going out on Simcoe to get his first Simcoe laker on the down rigger. 

Super great guy . Even if he does tow with a VW. :lol:

Great to have met you iFish4real. Next humble lesson will be, fly fishing the Mad river. LOL

Lets do it again. Hopefully the fish will be more co-operative. 

Hey at least you both tried vs not trying or him going 100% winging it.  And now you have another fish'n buddy too.  It's still a win - win to me.  Good on ya for trying.  

Hey Misfish,

Thanks for mentioning me, I'm becoming a celebrity. Not for my fishing but for my VW ? You forgot to mention it is a Jetta, could have been a Touareg ? But let's be honest, pulling a deep haul in and out any ramp with it it's rather impressive ?

Anyway, no time on the water is wasted time, I had fun and enjoyed meeting you. I'm sure we can do better next time ?

2 hours ago, iFish4real said:

Hey Misfish,

Thanks for mentioning me, I'm becoming a celebrity. Not for my fishing but for my VW ? You forgot to mention it is a Jetta, could have been a Touareg ? But let's be honest, pulling a deep haul in and out any ramp with it it's rather impressive ?

Pics or it didn't happen. 

13 minutes ago, Terry said:

Well

Jesus was a fisherman.  Seems I’m not

and I have not perfected the walking on

yet

lol

Aint that the truth. LOL

Nice rollers all morning. Not a single fish marked. So it,s not your boat  Casi.

I feel your pain Bri. More than a few times I bragged that I was slaying, Bass, Perch and Walleye here on Erie. So a few guys invite themselves to go out with me. You invite yourself you pay, I invite you out I cover the costs. Someone offers up 20 bucks after 6 hours fishing is an insult if one knows how much the cost really is. So I politely decline basically the cost to launch the boat, feget about the bait for Perch. After tracking average costs for running the boat back then I figured $30.00 an hour to fish, and that was conservative. Running a 20 foot boat up to 10 miles offshore is more than just fueling her up, way more. From insurance, maintenance, slip fee, storage in winter, depreciation, etc. etc. etc. 30 bucks probably doesn't cover an hour on the water, depending on the target closer to 50 or more, toe the boat a few hrs. there and back I don't want to know how much $ it costs. Loose a Live Target, a Dipsy and a small planner board and I'm out close to $100.00. Of course more than a few times we go out and don't even catch a Goby. I've learned my lesson, no more bragging and no more amateur guiding. I don't need the stress. I towed the boat 2 hrs 1 way last summer and we fished for 3 days. A friend of a friend of a friend was my 1st mate, never met him, a good guy really. I stopped for gas for the 1/2 ton on the way back because I had already burned through a tank and he handed me 20 bucks for the 3 days explaining the financial quandaries' he was having and after paying for accommodations and his booze and food he was tapped. I handed it back to him and told him to get us a few coffees at Hortons across the street, he didn't give me the change. What da frig!!

Charter guys don't really make any real profit, it gets them on the water to do what they love to do and not dip into RRSP's to do it.

Vent complete. Sorry.

edit: from what I have read Jesu Cristo didn't need a boat as he could walk on water.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

LOL

It was to be a fun post, not to be a IM PISSED it didnt work out OIM.  LOL

As you have seen in my pass reports the few years, I and Terry had our fair share of nice lakers out there. Even had a 30+ fish long weekend, showing Tybo and Terry a good time.

This year on the lake many are having trouble finding the lakers. Many are puzzled by the lack of marks out there. 

I was merely having a good fun write up and I was not paid for this  guide. Maybe my title should of been,  ( Did a free guide for a newbie ) LOL

It really was more of showing Casi the basics of down rigging on Simcoe for lakers and the ins and outs on set ups. Speeds that would make a spoon work. Side to side motion. More speed for heavier spoons. Driving half the rod in the water with the lure back 8 ft to see how the spoon travels, to make sure the right speed is there, so the lure works.  Im am sure I gave him a good start on this and he will go forward learning and catching as time on the water, as we all know, is the only way to really learn. 

I am no pro guide, but know the ins and outs on the hows. Would I put my money on being a full blown guide? Not a chance. Takes all the fun out of it. Better to have a fun time and not have to worry about the, you suck crap. LOL

Having fun is what is all about.

Sorry if you thought I was serious OIM. 

:Gonefishing::excl::Gonefishing:

7 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I feel your pain Bri. More than a few times I bragged that I was slaying, Bass, Perch and oat up to 10 miles offshore is more tha

Vent complete. Sorry.

edit: from what I have read Jesu Cristo didn't need a boat as he could walk on water.

You're a mean old bugger, OI. When I take someone in my canoe I don't charge them anything :lol::P

Yup.  That can happen when guiding.  Nothing is guaranteed.

I went out for a 1/2 day guide trip a few years back.  It was for Muskie in the Kawarthas.  We did Stoney Lake.  It was a gift from my wife.

My son and I had our rods in the water then entire time and did what the guide told us.  We got ZERO.  The fish of 10,000 casts eluded us that day.  But we did learn about muskie presentation, structure to look for, etc.  Oh well.

16 minutes ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

Yup.  That can happen when guiding.  Nothing is guaranteed.

I went out for a 1/2 day guide trip a few years back.  It was for Muskie in the Kawarthas.  We did Stoney Lake.  It was a gift from my wife.

My son and I had our rods in the water then entire time and did what the guide told us.  We got ZERO.  The fish of 10,000 casts eluded us that day.  But we did learn about muskie presentation, structure to look for, etc.  Oh well.

1/2 day for musky...you gotta expect the skunk. I went out with a board member a few years back on the hunt for musky...it literally took 10,000 casts but when it finally happened i got a big one.

Anything can happen when it comes to laketrout muskies or walleye...some days you get bit others you dont.

Once I am living comfortably i will probably start guiding myself...at least with bass you know you arent going to get skunked unless the person you are fishing with is really really really bad.

The most expensive part of guiding is the insurance...commercial vessel insurance is insane. If the clientel come to you? then the only cost is gas and general maintenance. 

Edited by AKRISONER

I would say  "yes" I can be a mean old basterrrd. Was a mean young Basssterd once. To say I wasn't in the best of moods yesterday would be an understatement. I am up to my neck in what was supposed to be an interior paint job and wash down this shack. I am surrounded in kitchen cabs sitting in boxes, about 1000 sq ft of flooring in boxes and new fixtures to plumb, connect, hang and who knows what else, oh yea ceramic tiles for a back splash, not nice big ones tiny little baby tiles. And am using the bathroom sink and a 2X8 for a counter top to prep meals. I hate paper plates. I'm sick of BBQ'd burgers and death dogs. I'm not the man I was 10 years ago. My wife says I'm not the man I was 2 years ago. You think I can find someone to pay good $$ who can read the business end of a tape or use a level out here in the boonies? No Siree Bob. My guys are all retired, have broken bodies or making real money in the GTA or Hammertown. I'm too old, too tired, too broke and too mean for a reno at 63.

I have yet to wet the bottom of the boat, 1st Walleye opener north I have missed in about 35 years. At the crack of dawn on a beautiful morning as the glorious Sun peeked above the pines last week I got out a rod and was going to go down to the beach and wet a line. My stairs got wiped out last fall and the armour rock wall slid down. I forgot I am trying to deal with the MNR and the Long Point Conservation. Authority, about 14 pages of application and drawings to scale for each of them. How do you make a scale drawing of a freeking rock???? Nice folks there but are as slow as Molasses in January. AnyhooI got 1/2 way down the rocks and my good knee popped in and out. Here I am, can't go up, can't go down. I was ready to tap out. I know it must be tough to even have a beach, poor, poor me. What is tough is having one and not being able to use it. Like having a Super Model for a wife and have separate bedrooms, look no touch. All the neighbours stairs are somewhere In NY, PA or Ohio too.

What was this thread about? Sorry big Brian, I really am. Please send someone that can use a brad nailer.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, AKRISONER said:

1/2 day for musky...you gotta expect the skunk. I went out with a board member a few years back on the hunt for musky...it literally took 10,000 casts but when it finally happened i got a big one.

Anything can happen when it comes to laketrout muskies or walleye...some days you get bit others you dont.

Once I am living comfortably i will probably start guiding myself...at least with bass you know you arent going to get skunked unless the person you are fishing with is really really really bad.

The most expensive part of guiding is the insurance...commercial vessel insurance is insane. If the clientel come to you? then the only cost is gas and general maintenance. 

You just jinxed yourself.  I have seen people get skunked fishing for bass. That includes me....I guess I am really really really bad.....LOL  There are no guarantees on the water.

12 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I would say  "yes" I can be a mean old basterrrd. Was a mean young Basssterd once. To say I wasn't in the best of moods yesterday would be an understatement. I am up to my neck in what was supposed to be an interior paint job and wash down this shack. I am surrounded in kitchen cabs sitting in boxes, about 1000 sq ft of flooring in boxes and new fixtures to plumb, connect, hang and who knows what else, oh yea ceramic tiles for a back splash, not nice big ones tiny little baby tiles. And am using the bathroom sink and a 2X8 for a counter top to prep meals. I hate paper plates. I'm sick of BBQ'd burgers and death dogs. I'm not the man I was 10 years ago. My wife says I'm not the man I was 2 years ago. You think I can find someone to pay good $$ who can read the business end of a tape or use a level out here in the boonies? No Siree Bob. My guys are all retired, have broken bodies or making real money in the GTA or Hammertown. I'm too old, too tired, too broke and too mean for a reno at 63.

I have yet to wet the bottom of the boat, 1st Walleye opener north I have missed in about 35 years. At the crack of dawn on a beautiful morning as the glorious Sun peeked above the pines last week I got out a rod and was going to go down to the beach and wet a line. My stairs got wiped out last fall and the armour rock wall slid down. I forgot I am trying to deal with the MNR and the Long Point Conservation. Authority, about 14 pages of application and drawings to scale for each of them. How do you make a scale drawing of a freeking rock???? Nice folks there but are as slow as Molasses in January. AnyhooI got 1/2 way down the rocks and my good knee popped in and out. Here I am, can't go up, can't go down. I was ready to tap out. I know it must be tough to even have a beach, poor, poor me. What is tough is having one and not being able to use it. Like having a Super Model for a wife and have separate bedrooms, look no touch. All the neighbours stairs are somewhere In NY, PA or Ohio too.

What was this thread about? Sorry big Brian, I really am. Please send someone that can use a brad nailer.

I hear ya man! I'm 59 and feel the same way! This year is really hitting me hard. I hurt in more places than I can list. Trying to help out the kids with their yard projects and try to get some of my own done is killing me!

8 minutes ago, Rattletrap2 said:

I hear ya man! I'm 59 and feel the same way! This year is really hitting me hard. I hurt in more places than I can list. Trying to help out the kids with their yard projects and try to get some of my own done is killing me!

Yep Rattletrap I feel your pain. I have to tell you, it doesn't get any better. I am having to pay Journeymen their rate because I just can do it anymore. From climbing a step ladder to trying to move some water lines. If I can physically get through it I can't see what I am trying to do. A young Plumber just left 5 minutes ago. He did in 2 hours what I have been thinking of doing for the last 10 years and would have taken me an entire day at least, maybe 2. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and "pay the guy." Our lot is 75'X225'. My wife has to cut the grass and weed whack for the past few years after putting in a days work or her day off, or I hire the guy to do it. Not good for a man's pride.

I am complaining and feel somewhat ashamed to complain. All I have to do is think about all the little kids at the Children's Hospital that may not get the chance to grow old and I feel like a selfish arse.

49 minutes ago, jimmer said:

You just jinxed yourself.  I have seen people get skunked fishing for bass. That includes me....I guess I am really really really bad.....LOL  There are no guarantees on the water.

Yes, I fished a smaller tournament here a couple of times and no one caught a fish, and some of those guys normally did well. I have blanked myself more times than I care to remember, and even using live bait fun fishing.