Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Headhunter

Ok Snidley my man. I just couldn't wait any longer to read what you wrote. Thank you for the entertainment. You are 100% correct on all counts. I would consider writing a screenplay based on your post, maybe we can co-write it. I paid the $29.99 plus shipping for the online screen play writing course. It might be titled "How A Cook Was Murdered By CNN "

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I would go one better and make it a live action  cartoon,  that's "based on real events" staring this guy

http://www.giveitlove.com/these-20-cat-shaming-moments-will-crack-you-up/?utm_source=ya&utm_campaign=367799846-9700056872-ya&utm_medium=HOMEPAGE_CA-ya&utm_content=549f79-34284176975-ya&utm_term=c-3.png-n-ya&chrome=1

and I'll send him to your place and you can feed him. Afterwards you can  read your script through with him and get "input". I strongly recomend you feed him first.

59 minutes ago, bigugli said:

And here is why many serious anglers no longer see any point in contributing to OFC

Really hitting the nail head Bruce. I miss OFC. I know I don't fish as much as I would love to so can't contribute reports. But can pass on advice. We actually planned an outing with 2 boats tomorrow out of Pt. Maitland but have electricians coming. A called in an old favour. And it is the sons of my electrician that is semi retired. Can't really say "Here's what I need boys, I'm going fishing." Doesn't sit well with me. Even M2B2 is AWOL. 30 posts a day and now nothing. I hope he is OK.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

22 hours ago, SaugaPikeSlayer said:

Perhaps you missed he sarcasm in my comment. I thought the rolly eyes would indicate that. 

haha..sorry..had to read a previous post.. totally missed it

Well, my first thought in hearing that he was gone was, hey, didn't he have a young daughter? Admittedly, I was pretty offended when I read Snidley's post, but, it did get me thinking.

We don't know the dynamics of his life and family. I am beginning to wonder if his 11 year old daughter is better off without him. Not to sound cold hearted, but , being on the road over 200 days a year and all the other obligations, maybe she is better off without him?

That doesn't mean that I am not going to miss his show...

HH

HH many Dad's, good Dad's, and I know a few personally, that are on the road to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads 200 days, or more a year because that's what they do. Some have chosen to not travel to be at home more. Take any professional athlete, it's what they do. I wouldn't know if any child would say they would be better off without their Dad's or Mom's, (Mom's travel for living too) in their lives, for the rest of their lives. Our niece is a young Mom, she is an actor, singer and dancer. She has to go where the work is. She is currently away out west for a stage musical. She is a great Mother, it's just different than most of us that did or do the 9 to 5. Working shifts is about the same, you see co workers much more than you see your families. I worked about 20 Christmas and New Years in a row, not much different than being away for weeks at a time. When we were kids we didn't see Dad for a week while on afternoons or night shift.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

How much time does a child really get with their 9-5 parent? Add in the commuting, overtime, etc..... My wife worked days and saw little of the children except on weekends for the first 10 years. I worked steady nights and sacrificed sleep so I could be there for the kids for 6 years, but when I took on the day job there were months where the kids barely ever saw me during the busy season. That is a reality for all except the bureacrats and teachers.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:18 PM, Snidley said:

The idea that one in 3 humans is mentaly ill is complete hogwash, as is the clain that 10% of all males are homosexuals and that alchoholism is a disease.

Correct, both hogwash, it's nearly 50% for mental illness and 3-5% for homosexuality. Estimates vary but it certainly isn't 10%, in fact it's theorized that sexual orientation is a sliding scale.

Appologists think that you can coddle your way out of problems but I have yet to see that happen anywhere in the world.

Back in the late 70's Tricky Dick Nixon addressed the unbelievable Washington DC crime rate of the time with methadone clinics and it worked.

Direct contradiction?

Bottom line I liked the guy and the show but he was a jerk for killing himself and there is no excuse that is acceptable other than it is your right to live your life as you see fit . 

Think of how badly you want to avoid death at all costs. This isn't unique to you; every organism is programmed that way. Lucid minds don't simply manage to bypass this hardwired survival mechanism. Depression is powerful and happens with or without drugs.

You seem to suggest that drugs and alcohol are chiefly responsible for these problems, to this I posit a few facts;

• Use of cannabis is rampant in Jamaica yet their suicide rate is in the 5th percentile (lowest). There's also Israel and several other countries in this bucket.
  • Countries where cannabis and alcohol are less prevalent display strangely high suicide rates (Singapore, Sri Lanka, Kazakhstan, Japan, etc etc etc)

I would suggest that there IS indeed a relationship between drug abuse and mental illness/suicide HOWEVER they are not the principal forces at play.

OI---a little 'topic drift', perhaps, but I understand your extended family are fairly recent immigrants (second gen?). My question is 'how does the USA turn such people into rednecks?"  Is there some special school they get sent to that dims their brain??  Maybe Ignoramus U?? 

Just to clarify my point about Nixon. The methadone clinics in DC were not intended to benefit addicts it was to relieve the  pressure of rampant drug related crime against respectable DC residents which included congress.  It was a short lived experiment that worked and then was discarded.

Bordains issue was not pot, it was booze, pills, coke, AND FOOD. This by his own addmission by the way. The man was a wasted mess that filled his body with toxins  (including from the excesses in food consumption itself ) and tried to counter it with pharmacy. As usual it did not work out. It did provide the viewing public with a flawed but entertaining character who used humor, black humour ultimately, to build an audience.  In the end it was his character flaws led him to end his own life. That rollercoaster is what made Bordain a celebrity and we got to view it as a form of entertainment. It's a tradeoff that has been the source of art and literature since civilization began. As I said I loved the show but the suicide was the part that made him a jerk and it was definitly not a suprise, it was inevitable and I for one am not overly broken up over it.  

People today have great faith in media driven expertise which parades out experts in science like it parades out experts in economics, politics and  statistics. The problem is that these experts have lots of theories that are little more that opinions that dovetail into the preconcieved notions of what that media outlet and it's viewership are comfortable with. In the field of mental illness this has led to a conflation, in mainstream media, that what used to be considered character flaws are now excused as mental illness. That's how you get 1 in 3 as certified crazy rather than lots of people with significant character flaws that should be addressed with personal dicipline not pharmacy from the medical establishment and fawning empathy from the public.

5 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

OI---a little 'topic drift', perhaps, but I understand your extended family are fairly recent immigrants (second gen?). My question is 'how does the USA turn such people into rednecks?"  Is there some special school they get sent to that dims their brain??  Maybe Ignoramus U?? 

Great Grandparents and Grand Parents emigrated to the USA in the 1890's on Mom's side, Dads parents came to Hamilton in the mid 20's. Dad was actually born here in 27' and went to Italy in 1930, long story, but a good one, stuff movies are made about. Organized crime, murder, intrigue, suspense just no sex or Rock N Rolla. Anyway my southern relatives got their red necks from bending over in the fields and getting sun burn on the back of their necks, or bending over for some other reason, use your imaginations. These are not stupid people, stupidity is a DNA thing passed on down in the gene pool, they or shall I say some are intelligent individuals that do stupid things. Just plain ignorant and know nothing of the counties or towns in the same counties where they live. Some are medical Doctors and successful professionals such as a 1st cousin that is (or is it whom is?) a Lawyer in Lawrenceville GA. Their politics and religion of which I will not comment on other to say they are not only as far right of centre one can be they are always right as in correct and you are just dead wrong, opinions don't cut it down there, I'm just wrong. All wearing MAGA hats in their Christmas e-card photo, including the Grand Kids. It sure makes for entertaining Family Reunions. So entertaining I haven't gone in 10 years, why bother? Plus I think I'm barred.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Snidley said:

Just to clarify my point about Nixon. The methadone clinics in DC were not intended to benefit addicts it was to relieve the  pressure of rampant drug related crime against respectable DC residents which included congress.  It was a short lived experiment that worked and then was discarded.

Bordains issue was not pot, it was booze, pills, coke, AND FOOD. This by his own addmission by the way. The man was a wasted mess that filled his body with toxins  (including from the excesses in food consumption itself ) and tried to counter it with pharmacy. As usual it did not work out. It did provide the viewing public with a flawed but entertaining character who used humor, black humour ultimately, to build an audience.  In the end it was his character flaws led him to end his own life. That rollercoaster is what made Bordain a celebrity and we got to view it as a form of entertainment. It's a tradeoff that has been the source of art and literature since civilization began. As I said I loved the show but the suicide was the part that made him a jerk and it was definitly not a suprise, it was inevitable and I for one am not overly broken up over it.  

People today have great faith in media driven expertise which parades out experts in science like it parades out experts in economics, politics and  statistics. The problem is that these experts have lots of theories that are little more that opinions that dovetail into the preconcieved notions of what that media outlet and it's viewership are comfortable with. In the field of mental illness this has led to a conflation, in mainstream media, that what used to be considered character flaws are now excused as mental illness. That's how you get 1 in 3 as certified crazy rather than lots of people with significant character flaws that should be addressed with personal dicipline not pharmacy from the medical establishment and fawning empathy from the public.

I'll bet many people suffering from mental illness are glad you are not working in that field.

It's interesting that you guys appear to be in the ascendance. Today the UN's mental health unit has described a new "mental illness". It is for gamers that can't stop playing video games. So now pastey nerds can get meds for uncontrolable gameplayitis as opposed to say, the parents pulling the plug on the nitwits computer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

word of advice to anyone on this forum that Snidley's post bugs...stay the hell away from the bass boat central forums lol...the views of the average boomer bass fisherman are really something else lol.

RIP his show was pretty cool, it showed a side of many places that few white north americans would ever venture too. One of the coolest eps was him hanging out in the favelas in Brazil...Im still amazed that he survived some of his trips considering most white folks cant enter those areas unscathed no matter how much security they carry with them.