Damaged Diningroom table, any suggestions

A hot Iron was unfortunately placed on the Maple inlay on a towel on the dining room table leaving a white impression on the wood. There appears to be a clear coat on the wood, I think it was the clear coat that was burned off leaving that white image. Before I try to buff out the white mark of the image of an Iron and ruin the entire  table that wasn't exactly cheap does anyone among our talented group have any suggestions? Someone suggested carpenters crayon. Is there such a thing?

I believe it is Maple. Definitely not Oak.

Thanks, John D.

2 hours ago, HTHM said:

Please, for everyone's sake do that in private.....:o

LOL maybe that's how the iron got forgotten in the first place! 

I agree with Ketch...there are methods worth trying before getting into stripping it down that you should at least try. The damp towel and an iron can work depending on the severity of the burn. Either way, you're not going to make it worse by trying. Good Luck

Thanks guys, I will Google the cloth method. I know that an Iron and damp cloth will lift carpet pile where heavy furniture left an indentation in a carpet. I'll buy a new table before I spend the time to strip naked. There was a time but these days nobody wants to see that. It's tough being a retired Male model.

There is a product called claybar used on auto paint that will buff out scratches in clear coat. The heat has damaged the clear coat and the clay bar might be able to remove the damaged part. It is going to take awhile to buff it out. If you find that you have gone thru the clear coat then sand an area back to the wood and reclear coat it with a polyurethane. Once feathered in use progressive grits of sand paper 1000 1500 2000. The good news is if it does not look right sand it back and redo it.

Art

I have a few clay bars of different grits I use to detail vehicles Art. I was thinking of trying it on the shadow. It won't ruin the table at this point. If the table didn't have several inlays on a field surrounding the table with the grain going in many directions it would be stripped and clear coated already. If I was to sand it with the grain on all this inlay it would be faster to grow a tree and use that to build a new table. Maple ain't cheap. I was quoted a price for a piece of local Maple for a Breakfast Bar, not Birds Eye. 2"X18" X 52". $280.00. CDN. It is what it is.

Yep, another thing on the too do list. Since I have a complete kitchen sitting in the living room waiting to be hung and 3 rooms of new Millwork to do. I might delay the refinish for a week, month or year or so. The person whom burned the table said she will refinish it, great gal, she appreciates all your help.

OK, it's official! I was set up. After I made a nice Frittata with Asparagus, red onion, Zucchini topped witch Bocconcini then under the salamander and a salad for supper I passed on the suggestions to remove the burn. " Don't worry about it Johnny D you bought a new dining table and 6 nice chairs today." Thanks for the heads up cupcake. Since we are doing the reno to put the cottage up for sale, apparently there is something called "staging".  The definition is buy new stuff that will help sell a joint and move into the new digs with new furniture!!!!!!!! Oh yea, sell with all appliances then go and buy new to save $$$ on moving costs, yea right doll face. I was born on a Thursday, not last Thursday. She happy, me happy. (Actually I'm pumped, I get a commercial gas stove, me no stupida.)