What oil for 25 hp yamaha 2 stroke

jimmer

I have always been using Amsoil 100:1 Marine oil to premix for my 2002 25 hp Yamaha Outboard.  They no longer make it or I can't find it in Canada, so I was wondering if any of you have a good alternative to suggest.  The manual calls for 100:1 mixture using Yamalube, but I don't like the smoke that it produces.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

all of the guys down in the states running v maxes swear by pennzoil. Harder to get up here but my 2 stroke yammy is now 20 years old and runs like a friggin top...the previous owner went down to the states to buy cases of the stuff and has sworn by it...who am i to argue.

I get almost 0 smoke out of mine.

Edited by AKRISONER

8 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I have a Yamaha 8hp that calls for 100:1. I don't use synthetic but I mix it about 75:1. 100:1 just makes me cringe a little bit especially when at WOT.

I have been running mine at 100:1 since 2003 and never had a problem.  Many hours were put on my motor during that time. I have even started running my old Jiffy ice auger and Weed Trimmer at 100:1 for a couple of years with Amsoil and have no problems.  Tried it in a Chainsaw that was originally 26:1 mixture and it didn't like it.

I wouldn't be running chainsaws, augers and weed wackers at 100:1 even with a good synthetic oil. Why not mix as recommended? You could be doing damage. The difference is when using those things they pretty much operate at full throttle all the time. An outboard is operated from idle and trolling speed to WOT and everything in between.

11 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

I wouldn't be running chainsaws, augers and weed wackers at 100:1 even with a good synthetic oil. Why not mix as recommended? You could be doing damage. The difference is when using those things they pretty much operate at full throttle all the time. An outboard is operated from idle and trolling speed to WOT and everything in between.

Been doing the smaller engines for a couple of years now, with no problems.  I run the ice auger hard too. However, I hear you and I was nervous at first, but I got over it. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. lol

Reading through this thread got me thinking. Not to veer off topic, but my outboard smokes abit, is this in direct relation to the amount of oil I'm mixing at? (50:1) or am I using a poor quality oil.....

As for the OP, I'm going to check with my parts dept. with regards to the oil you're looking for, and get back to you regarding availability.

18 minutes ago, jimmer said:

Been doing the smaller engines for a couple of years now, with no problems.  I run the ice auger hard too. However, I hear you and I was nervous at first, but I got over it. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. lol

I've been running all of my 2 strokes at the mixing ratio on the bottle of Opti2 which is about 75:1.

My ice augers (I have 3), small 2 stroke OB and my chainsaws.

Never an issue with any of them even my oldest Strikemaster auger that calls for a 24:1 mix.

23 minutes ago, GBW said:

thank you for finding this...their pricing beats canadian tire for quicksilver. Its odd they dont have pricing on the flyer.

You know what is really friggin ridiculous. you can get penzoil premium plus for 20 bucks a gallon down in buffalo...its pretty damn close to worth the drive to walmart in the states...gotta love paying 40 bucks a jug up here.

Edited by AKRISONER

Just curious, why do you guys mix so lean? I know good oil is expensive, to save a few bucks? less smoke?  I would be worried moving parts aren't getting properly lubricated.

46 minutes ago, Smokercrafty said:

Reading through this thread got me thinking. Not to veer off topic, but my outboard smokes abit, is this in direct relation to the amount of oil I'm mixing at? (50:1) or am I using a poor quality oil.....

The way I understand it, the recommended mix will be a little rich and maybe a little smokey at low rpms, that's normal, but that same mixture has to protect and keep things lubricated at high rpms too. A 2 stroke needs more oil at full throttle/ high revs. The recommended mixture is a middle ground.    

12 minutes ago, GBW said:

Here is another way to get stock:  http://www.aoil.ca/contact-us/

damn you just sent me into the weeds now lol.

We run amsoil for our snowmobiles so it may make sense to pay their "premium customer fee" to buy the oil for 38 bucks a jug if we are going to also buy our snowmobile oil.

Although 2 bucks a jug savings isnt that great when you can get quicksilver semi syn at royal for 40 bucks a jug.

I have no friggin clue why i am such an idiot and didnt buy a case of pennzoil premium plus for $20 a jug when i was down at walmart in the states...smh I am an idiot.

Edited by AKRISONER

54 minutes ago, ecmilley said:

Boat land has 10l jugs of opti oil on sale for $90 a jug

There website says $99 a jug

if it was 90 id be going to buy some!

from what i have read, i may be wrong but optimax oil is literally quicksilver repackaged. Its the semi syn blend recommended for all mercury outboards...guys in the states typically debate between yamalube, quicksilver or a lot have switched to pennzoil.

Therefore the Quicksilver TCW3 4 litre jug available at royal is the same deal. but in a smaller package which may be more convenient for some.

Gotta love living in Canada once again where our options are limited and our prices are sky high!

Edited by AKRISONER

I have a 25 year old Japanese made chainsaw that calls for 25:1, she starts right up after sitting for 6 months or more, all my other 2 strokes call for 50:1. The 1995 StarCraft's Mariner 15 HP kicker calls for 50:1 and the 115 Mariner is oil injected and I am not sure how much is fed into her. I mix what it says on the unit, no less, maybe a bit more. I would never run lean, ever. Why would one not follow a manufactures specs? I don't think anyone would run oil not recommended in their vehicles. Why then a 2 stroke?

As for the original question I have always been of the opinion that if she's a Merc or Mariner, I use Mercs best oil, Yamaha, same thing etc. I am sure they want you to buy their brand oil if they have one, I don't think Merc etc. has a refinery. I have a pal who's Dad used his 90 Yammy oil injected at the cottage for a month and Dad bought some cheap CTC oil because he's cheap, the engine went south on him calling for a major rebuild or replacement that was not in the budget. The boat has sat now for 3 going on 4 years, sad. I guess he can take Dad to Judge Judy.