Burbon+ice and Inconnu on Great Slave lake

scuro2

Chris, man that was a trip some only dream about. A once in a lifetime. Coneys? I was trying to think what they were. Inconnu, only heard of them on those Alaska reality shows. Man they do look like Tarpon, they also bear a good resemblance to Florida Snook without the striped lateral line.

As they say about what clothing to wear, you can always take it off but if you don't bring it you can't put it on. Once on a trip to Lynn Lake MB the Americans brought snowmobile suits and a few guys from T.O. must have thought they were going to Myrtle Beach in May. They had to buy old used clothing from the guides that made a killing selling them. Good for them I said. On spring trips we brought clothing for 4 seasons. Snow Ball fights in the morning and brown pops in 72F with sunscreen in the afternoon.

I have to live vicariously now through many of you young Bucks wonderful trips. A few new knees a hip and a shoulder or 2 and I may be able to handle a trip like that soon. Do they have brain replacements available yet these days?

Fantastic report and pics, thank you Chris.

Old Ironmaker,

A photo just for you...the biggest Coney of the trip. They can get up to 60 pounds and a little under 4 ft long. Bigger ones then the one in this photo have been caught there.
41865440205_8e3650d088_o.jpg

These are expensive trips...a trip of a life time for sure for some. I had retired and planned to do so with my wife at the same time. She changed her mind and has worked for an additional year. I think there was some guilt there and there was extra money, that combination is great for, okays from the wife! :)

I think any early trip now I will take a great first layer. I actually have the gear...real hunting gear for the late fall...but it is bulky and heavy. I did not want to be in my rain gear all week but I had to do it. It wasn't super cold but you are whipping around in a boat and the wind off the ice comes in cold!! I lucked out in that it didn't rain. Had it rained I would have taken those days off...I couldn't have afforded that any of my layers would get soaked.

By the way....this is the most comfy flyin I have ever done. Hotwater shower, flush toilet, and three hot meals per day. Cabins are basic but mattresses are relatively good.

Edited by scuro2