Jump to content
LittleWorm

Fines and Licence Suspensions

Recommended Posts

i hope the idiots were centrepinning or fishing with some other really expensive gear.

 

Classic...the guy has previous offences...shows that the penalties arent harsh enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

 

Classic...the guy has previous offences...shows that the penalties arent harsh enough.

That's what I was thinking too when I read that. They should have really dropped the hammer on that guy.

Here's one from ice fishing on Lake Joe. I thought the fines were good except he didn't loose his licence.

https://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/8607971-catching-too-many-muskoka-lake-trout-ice-fishing-cost-man-1-500/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These idiots post crap like this all the time, should have taken their gear and their licenses forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Garnet said:

And to be caught fishing illegal by a few feet. Really low class poachers.

 

Yup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i hope the idiots were centrepinning or fishing with some other really expensive gear.

 

Classic...the guy has previous offences...shows that the penalties arent harsh enough.

looks like he uses spinning gear, I suspect this is our man, my apologies if not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slick find Dave

 

anyone recognize this spot?

I wonder if hes poaching in these videos

 

Edited by AKRISONER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging by the Facebook look-up results ( https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006413929065 Jonathan Deal of Peterborough is a young guy that is big into Trout and Carp fishing.

Since his chargers were lower than the other repeat offender ... I wonder if he knew he was in a no-fishing location?

Edited by TheKawarthaAngler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

Judging by the Facebook look-up results ( https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006413929065 Jonathan Deal of Peterborough is a young guy that is big into Trout and Carp fishing.

Since his chargers were lower than the other repeat offender ... I wonder if he knew he was in a no-fishing location?

There is no excuse if he did or  not. Sorry, but there is enough info out there to know whats open and whats not. The first video looks familiar. A trib up here that is open til Dec 31. The bridge was kind of a give away. No, I am not telling ya where it is. I do not even fish there. Just look at the skinny water. Let them be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next morning when I got down to ganny 4 guys standing under bridge and everyday

after .

MNR could get 20-30 guys every day.  I've seen plain signs directly across from anglers clearly stating

South of bridge and the message doesn't get threw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

Judging by the Facebook look-up results ( https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006413929065 Jonathan Deal of Peterborough is a young guy that is big into Trout and Carp fishing.

Since his chargers were lower than the other repeat offender ... I wonder if he knew he was in a no-fishing location?

They both absolutely knew exactly what they where doing.  They are Instagram/Facebook fisherman.  Don't feel any pity for them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, porkpie said:

They both absolutely knew exactly what they where doing.  They are Instagram/Facebook fisherman.  Don't feel any pity for them.  

I felt the introduction of tournament fishing with the culling and livewells took a lot away from the sport of fishing over the simple big fish derbies of my youth where you took the prizewinner home and ate it, they probably have an even greater impact on a body of water too, IMHO. I often ask myself why do people fish if they aren't planning on taking a meal home ? hypocrites jump all over hunters for not utilizing their kill and there is a kill factor to catch and release fishing. The whole social media forum/Instagram/Facebook hero shot thing is taking the sport to new lows . I was guilty of some pretty obscene catch and release numbers steelheading in the 80's and now older would call it a day much sooner and not run the numbers up when the fish are extremely vulnerable. Maybe , although it couldn't be enforced, the catch limit should be the first limit of legal fish caught whether kept or released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dave524 said:

I felt the introduction of tournament fishing with the culling and livewells took a lot away from the sport of fishing over the simple big fish derbies of my youth where you took the prizewinner home and ate it, they probably have an even greater impact on a body of water too, IMHO. I often ask myself why do people fish if they aren't planning on taking a meal home ? hypocrites jump all over hunters for not utilizing their kill and there is a kill factor to catch and release fishing. The whole social media forum/Instagram/Facebook hero shot thing is taking the sport to new lows . I was guilty of some pretty obscene catch and release numbers steelheading in the 80's and now older would call it a day much sooner and not run the numbers up when the fish are extremely vulnerable. Maybe , although it couldn't be enforced, the catch limit should be the first limit of legal fish caught whether kept or released.

There is a kill factor indeed, but catch and release works...I just put the same fish in my boat 2 years apart nearly to the day. 

There is a benefit in tournament fishing to keeping your livewell fish in good shape. Most guys out there are doing all sorts of crazy stuff to try keep their fish in the best shape possible. IMO its way better than the old catch and kill days.

I think the rebound of the fish population in almost all lakes proves it. guys are catching more big bass then they ever have. They absolutely smashed the canadian record on simcoe last year 3 times over in 1 single day.

The walleye population on georgian bay is on the total rebound since they put a slot 2 fish limit and stopped the commercial fishing up there. guys are catching obscene amounts of walleye with ridiculous size too.

There is definitely a kill factor, i agree, but does anyone have difinitive proof of "poor" percentages? From what I can tell, with proper catch and release tactics, fish swim off strong. 

I will make a point that there is a huge difference between some people's catch and release aka catch, hold the fish out of the water for 10 minutes while taking photos, throwing the fish on teh floor of the boat etc compared to others. 

Having fished with Pete Hoffman for muskies...I learned how to handle musky in perhaps the best way possible, meanwhile I watch guys in "muskys" Canada throw them on the floor of their boat and yank hooks outta em.

I apply what pete taught me to every fish i catch now. I carry a pair of knipex to cut hooks if neccesary, release fish when i can from the net...and give fish a long breather till basically full revival before picking them up for a quick photo and off they go.

One of the best rules of thumb, when you pick up the fish out of the water...hold your breath...if you need air, put the fish back in the net and let it breath as well.

Edited by AKRISONER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To believe a Poacher will not continue to Poach because he had his Fishing Licence revoked is a bit naïve me thinks.

In my opinion proper C&R practices can only be good for the fishery as Akri points out. Proper C&R. A fish only goes into my livewell if it going on the table or it has a hard time recovering. If a fish has a bad recovery I am most likely using too light tackle, or pulling fish up from deep water, too fast. They are opposites, yes, that's where skill comes into play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone see the video of those guys fishing above the CNR?  It was all over instagram and facebook.

Also this video was uploaded around the same time talking about fishing a closed area.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

There is a kill factor indeed, but catch and release works...I just put the same fish in my boat 2 years apart nearly to the day. 

No question about it fish can be released and caught again, especially those that are immediately released where they are caught as opposed to tournaments were they are bounced around  in a livewell and culled and released often many miles from their home territory. Maybe it is because I hunted for almost as long as I fished and felt remorse at a unrecovered cripple but none when a fish is released and swims away but that is not always a guarantee of survival. I think we have to examine the motives behind why we fish again, everyone would say hunting/killing for sport not for the table is wrong but turn around and turn a blind eye to those who catch far in excess of their limit on a catch and release basis for sport, is it ethically / morally right?  Also, I think many are placing too much credit on C and R for the improved fisheries while , especially in the Great Lakes it has to do with water quality, reduction of commercial fishing and increased forage fish ( Gobies grow bigger Bass )

Edited by dave524

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe this delayed mortality is any where near a problem.

It's proved every open day on every river/creek.

If delayed mortality on a river like the ganny was a problem we would see dead fish

in every back water area we would snag fish laying on the bottom and they would be there

for days and weeks. It just doesn't happen.

Day in day out livewells work and that's not to say die off haven't happen.

3 or 4 tournaments in the thousands I've fished not a problem all where weather related

instances . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Garnet said:

I don't believe this delayed mortality is any where near a problem.

It's proved every open day on every river/creek.

If delayed mortality on a river like the ganny was a problem we would see dead fish

in every back water area we would snag fish laying on the bottom and they would be there

for days and weeks. It just doesn't happen.

Day in day out livewells work and that's not to say die off haven't happen.

3 or 4 tournaments in the thousands I've fished not a problem all where weather related

instances . 

they have scientifically proven that the biggest factor in delayed mortality related to Bass tournaments is water temperature. Basically they have stated that its almost a non issue this far north. its more of a problem in the southern US where temperatures in lakes get stupid hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×