Musky opener....how was it?

singingdog

3 of us got out for our yearly yakfishing musky opener. Water temps were high (70F), but vegetation growth is slow: very little green yet. We moved/caught a good number of fish both days, but couldn't find the big ones. Curious how other folks did, what worked, where the fish were. Had a close encounter with a skinny moose. 

Moose.jpg

thats a really cool picture.

Water temps were crazy, the top layer got hot last week, water was up in the 70's and then the wind came friday and knocked that hot layer off and I woke up Saturday morning the water was 61! I was happy to see it colder, means the spring fishing is going to last longer. High of 11 and 13 tomorrow up there...keeping things nice and cool! Musky not open in zone 14 yet..so pike it was!

Edited by AKRISONER

I have been on the business end of a compound mitre saw ruining nice Crown molding all weekend. My tape measure must be stretched, all 5.  I have yet to wash a lure this year, haven't wet the hull of the StarCraft either. The only Rappala's I have touched came in a box of Carlings. I wish you all success.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:35 PM, HTHM said:

I tried the upper niagara with no success 

Just wanted to let you know that the upper Niagara river is closed until the 3rd Saturday in June for  muskies. Check the exceptions page 91 of the regulations. 

54 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

If you are as adept at catching a Musky as well as I am Albert, no chance to be fined. If you get caught by a CO tossing bricks just tell them you are looking for our Lake Erie Jumbo Perch!!

nothing like perch on a bulldawg lol

We fished last saturday in the kawartha's. Slow at first but we decided to hop lakes late afternoon. Saw 8 or so, half of them bit. Landed a few, lost one. Largest was low/mid 40"s. Located a giant by kawartha's standards that I have to go back for. We went back for some fish after dark to no avail. The season is upon us!

Its been a grind for me so far, but getting some action. Won't be long and they will be chompin hardcore. I've boated 2 so far, but nothing to brag about. Lost one good one trolling....got a quick look as it threw my lure......40 something inches anyways.....gone. 

Early season like this I always did well throwing smallish spinnerbaits in shallow water, specially around pencil reeds if you can find them. Night time in the same shallows will also boat you a bunch of fish.

Opening day 10 or 12 years ago I boated 9 before 10:00 AM

My wife caught her first two musky last Saturday, a 43” almost right off the bat then another 36”er an hour later. She’s already asking when we can go again, usually she acts like I’m dragging her out there. We were only out a few hours though, I lost a little guy beside the boat and had a couple of follows. I tried a new lake this morning for my second time out. caught a couple small ones, missed another strike and had 1 more follow, then nothing for the last few hours. Always fun trying a new lake/looking for new spots.