HVAC question

Rizzo

Once again calling on the varied experiences and knowledge we are blessed with here at OFC. Have been living without air conditioning the past few years and its time to bite the bullet and install central air. Since my furnace is approx 15 years old figured best to replace it at the same time. Got a quote from Carrier and quote from Goodman. The quote from Carrier comes in a bit higher (few hundred bucks) but after all the rebates they offer, actually comes in around 1500 less. Anyone have experience with either of these brands? More importantly...anyone have experience with these rebates! Just been thru a horrible experience with Dodge involving promised money back. DO NOT want to go thru something like that again. Both furnaces are 80,000 btus and both ACs are 2.5 ton 16 seer. Both also come with 10 year warranty on parts and labour. Carrier being offered by Aire One (a chain), Goodman being offered by a small local independant.

Both are good quality units, goodmans are built in Texas and are quickly gaining a great reputation for quality and value. Not sure why the Goodman combo isn't subject to the rebate, if it's the me efficiency it should  be rebated as well

Had a complete Goodman system put in last September. No problems whatsoever so far. I also installed a WiFi thermostat........ be prepared to fight for ANY rebate offers. Keep GOOD records and don't be afraid to contact via phone as to why you haven't received it yet.... they like to bird dog you to death.

Are these factory rebates or energy saving rebates? To meet the Save On Energy requirements I believe the unit would need to be Energy Star and at least 18 SEER. A good HVAC company will often process the rebates and warranty for you, it might be worth asking if that's included.

Personally I'd probably be going with the Carrier myself, but that can vary from unit to unit. I believe both those companies use aluminum coils, I'd be checking what the warranty is on that.

I replaced my two system in August and the Goodman was offered as a way to save money on the installation. The biggest difference was the blower unit that the goodman used was just a fixed rate 2 speed blower where the Carrier has an infinite  speed unit as well as an different compressor motor. I went with the carrier because of these reasons as well as the support in parts were much better in the area I live in. Over the winter the variable speed motor was much quieter with the humidifier running and my electric bill and propane bill both went down due to the efficiency of the heat pump and motor speed reductions. 

Art 

A variable speed fan will save you money in the long run. Once you've reached the set point it will rarely run on high, I have a 2 speed in my house from the previous owner and it's ridiculous how quiet it is compared to my old house, along with energy savings, though that's more to do with the building envelope differences from a 1950's house to a 90's house lol

For what it's worth I'd go carrier. I've installed a bunch of goodman rooftop units (I'm a sheet metal worker) and haven't heard much about them after, though some of the economizers are a PITA to set up in comparison to a York, Trane or Carrier unit.

Also proper sizing and a quality installation can make all the difference in the world (this includes duct design, though most retrofits typically don't go as far as that.

Edited by leaf4

The blower in my Goodman furnace is a 2 speed and it's only on rare moment that it goes into the high speed.  I've only noticed it when it jumps from the lower temp at night to the first jump up in the morning during cold winter.  

Just last month I made a deal on a new AC unit. I got 3 quotes from local HVAC guys. I couldn't believe $ difference between the 3. 1 was $1000.00 more for the exact unit, 1 was $1800.00 more. The one I went with happens to be a neighbour and I have been a customer for 22 years.

No rebate as it is less than 18 Seer. You are 100%  correct Tom S. Look for PM please Tom.