Simcoe lakers

iFish4real

Hello everybody,

I just got downriggers on my boat today and headed out to Simcoe in the afternoon with another fisherman from this forum to test them and see if we maybe get lucky with lakers.

We marked fish but no hits so, we were wondering if anybody here would be willing to share on PM some tips for rookies :P

We're planning on going out again tomorrow morning.

Much appreciated!

I'm coming at this mostly from being a life long gang troll fisherman. My starting strategy for Lakers is the same no matter what lake I'm on, basically inland lakes, biggest water would be Kipawa. Nothing like lake O or Simcoe, which I've never fished.  Even then I don't tend to troll "big open water". I like to find structure close to deep water, whether points large and small, islands, and midlake shoals, weather and boat size permitting.   Bonus if you find baitfish schools  associated with these structures. Even better if you can find a pattern, like on a certain side of structures.

Once the thermocline sets up well then a whole different strategy becomes available for open water trolling, but that would be for more local guys for intel on that. Good luck out there next time.

Cheers

13 hours ago, iFish4real said:

Sensitive information, you should've PMed.

Much appreciated:D

Well if you ever want to go out ( missed this yesterday ) I would be willing to go out with ya and show ya the ropes. :D