New 10% Tariff On US-made Boats

1 hour ago, Dara said:

I went up to the trading post yesterday. Was looking for a new fishing rod. Picked up a St Croix. Kinda my current favorite.

The tag said, Made in USA. I put it down and walked away.

That's too bad, St.Croix makes a great rod with a great warranty.   I'd rather have it US made then Chinese :)

42 minutes ago, Lape0019 said:

St. Croix has always been made in the USA. I do not know of a single rod that is made in Canada at all.

Built a lot of rods in the 70's and 80's on Fenwick Woodstream blanks out of Niagara Falls, not there anymore :(

edit: as a kid going north late 50's /60's I recall Shakespeare had a plant somewhere around Barrie, might have been on Hwy 27, don't know if they made rods there though.

IMG_0947_zpszffsma1x (1).jpg

Edited by dave524

38 minutes ago, Lape0019 said:

St. Croix has always been made in the USA. I do not know of a single rod that is made in Canada at all.

It has been said time and time again. NO one wins in a trade war. a retaliation is always warranted to try and break the other side of their thoughts but in the end, everybody loses.

It does seem to be a pretty complex issue?

Foreign suppliers are flooding the U.S. aluminum market - The Washington Post

List of aluminium smelters - Wikipedia

US Aluminum Imports by Supplying Country

What Aluminum Extraction Really Does to the Environment | RecycleNation

I imagine that if we could produce enough Aluminum for our own use without the associated environmental laws, labor costs, and energy costs we would be doing it?

On 6/1/2018 at 6:22 PM, dave524 said:

Hey Dave, your signature, "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.  Bastiat". What a pile of Horseshite.

The expansion of "liberal" governments around the world has created the conditions where mankind has had by far the greatest 60 years of expansion and well being that ever existed. This was not accomplished by libertarian selfishness and limiting government. We are a social animal whose key ability is to share, specifically knowledge for the betterment of all.

Edited by scuro2

The now dead NAFTA deal had provisions in place forcing Canadian oil south of the border at prices lower than the standard barrel of oil. With NAFTA now dead, should Canada be able to direct it's oil anywhere it wants?

Also, I find it a bit of a head scratcher that Canada, a NATO Allie of the US is now considered a country of concern to the U.S..

HH

38 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

The now dead NAFTA deal had provisions in place forcing Canadian oil south of the border at prices lower than the standard barrel of oil. With NAFTA now dead, should Canada be able to direct it's oil anywhere it wants?

Also, I find it a bit of a head scratcher that Canada, a NATO Allie of the US is now considered a country of concern to the U.S..

HH

NAFTA is not dead. It is still in force and if cancelled it would take about 1 year to actually end it.

Seems somebody is pulling an illegal move with these tarriffs...go figure huh

Trade wars are just a lose lose situation. I will spend as much money as needed to get products from Canada that has a higher quality than what is made in the USA. To do otherwise is to give credence and validity  to the trade war syndrome. Many of my rods and lures were made in Canada and some of our major factories are there making products for our homes and businesses. 

Art

Sorry but I live in a steel town and I work at a steel fabrication shop.

I have been buying steel for 30 years now and it comes from all over the world. Our local mill ships all over the world.

To suddenly have somebody say, we don't want your steel anymore, we only want what we make ourselves is a slap in the face.

Maybe I'm being harsh but I just got a load of work and material prices are set to go way up for no reason I can see

Edited by Dara

Here's one. We buy from over seas, as we are told to by the. Customer.  I asked what if we bought local or US. Answer, we don't make money.

As for Fenwick. Use to make the trip to the factory store. Man what deals back then. 

The price of a raw material is incorporated in the end price. This is  either artificially dropped by a merchant accepting a lower profit margin or by streamlining the cost of producing an item. Both are bad for a business. A drop in profit is not acceptable because it is a cut in working capitol that the company needs. A streamlining is where hours and employee are cut back on or worst the benefits that previously enjoyed are cut or eliminated. To limit this type of slippery slope a tit for tat type of attitude should be avoided. The Governments will make up a limited list and this will go forward as to what tariffs we will impose/trade till both parties feel they have equally punished each other. The pendulum will swing the other way and return to status quo. A business that reacts and cuts orders and friendships that they have cultivated over the years will not be able to return to status quo when the correction occurs. If I were a merchant that sold across the border an explanation of what caused the price increase as well as a promise to not cut quality or timely product delivery would keep the business happy. The person who is hurt by the tariffs is the end product user who has no one to pass the cost on to. 

Art

19 minutes ago, aplumma said:

The person who is hurt by the tariffs is the end product user who has no one to pass the cost on to.

Bingo.

The problem with reporting on this issue is that it consistently ignores the fact that the Canadian and US economies are completely and totally integrated. Everyone talks about a 10% tariff on aluminum. Consider this ...

A mining company in Canada digs up some raw ore and sells it to a smelter/refiner in the States. It crosses the border - boom, tack on 10%. The smelter will pay it.

The smelter in the US turns that rock into aluminum bars. They're sold to a company in Canada that makes boat equipment like cleats, hinges, windshield frames or whatever. The stuff crosses the border. Tack on a second 10%. The component manufacturer will pay it.

Aluminum bar gets turned into a boat cleat, and sold to Boston Whaler. Back it goes across the border to the Boston Whaler factory, where en route it gets taxed yet again - 10% for the third time. Boston Whaler will pay it.

Boston Whaler makes a boat, and sells it to a dealer in Canada. Guess what? That's right, another trip across the border and another 10%. Dealer marks up the boat accordingly.

Before it even gets to the dealer showroom, that aluminum cleat has been taxed and tariffed four times. You, the guy who buys the boat, ultimately pay for it all.

Sound ridiculous? Perhaps. But that scenario is very real, it's not an exaggeration at all. And it applies to all sorts of things that we buy. If you think a boat is complex, try keeping track of all the components in a car.

The big issue with these tariffs is that it's not necessarily just a simple 10% price increase. In some cases, because of the way manufacturing works in North America, the surcharges will be much, much higher than that.

• 1 month later...

I bought a legend last month beating the tariffs by a week, when I had taken ownership even though it's a Canadian boat company the dealer told me this boat was $4000 more expensive if I was to buy it now, since all companies out source surplus equipment and parts 

20180718_142356.jpg

1 hour ago, angelcanon said:

I bought a legend last month beating the tariffs by a week, when I had taken ownership even though it's a Canadian boat company the dealer told me this boat was $4000 more expensive if I was to buy it now, since all companies out source surplus equipment and parts 

20180718_142356.jpg

Start the Car,  you made off like a bandit.

13 minutes ago, angelcanon said:

Yeah you ain't kidding extra $4000 I probably wouldn't have pulled trigger since it would've pushed price over $30000, so who's gonna buy these things at those prices 

People buy 100k fishing boats all the time.  Don't worry, there will be a market for 30k boats.

I agree with you but that's sorta what I mean, if your going to spend $30+ thousand wouldn't you expect a little more for your money, especially people in the mid class with good jobs who may never look at a 100k boat but might consider a 16-20 fishing boat $30000 my person opinion I'd start looking at models a few years old to get all the options style power etc rather than brand new.

On 6/4/2018 at 12:11 PM, dave524 said:

Built a lot of rods in the 70's and 80's on Fenwick Woodstream blanks out of Niagara Falls, not there anymore :(

edit: as a kid going north late 50's /60's I recall Shakespeare had a plant somewhere around Barrie, might have been on Hwy 27, don't know if they made rods there though.

IMG_0947_zpszffsma1x (1).jpg

Man haven't seen these in years, me and friends used to dive the dumpster as kids for rods and tackle boxes I think we thru away 3-4 dozen blanks couldn't even guess how many boxes I had, stuff we brought home mighta had a slight paint scuff or missing clip on a box, probably worth small fortune if I still had them.