New 10% Tariff On US-made Boats

I think most people are aware that Trump has went ahead and imposed new tariffs on steel and aluminum that's exported from Canada into the US. I think most also know that in retaliation, Canada has outlined something like $16 billion on tariffs on various products coming into Canada from the US. The official list of products specifically includes boats, both aluminum and fibreglass.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT BUYING AN AMERICAN-MADE BOAT, you better get on your horse and do it asap. Effective July 1, those new Canadian tariffs come into effect and the cost of your boat will go up by 10 percent.

Beyond that, the cost for dealers to replace inventory that's on their lot today will also go up by an additional 10 percent (at a minimum) since boat builders in the US are now paying 10 percent more for the aluminum they import from Canada. The net result is that the retail price of US-made boats sold in Canada could increase by 20 to 25 percent by mid-summer.

Barring a sudden flip-flop by Trump,  or a deal on NAFTA, boats and engines are going to become much more expensive. If you're in the market, do the deal now before the new taxes come into effect and save yourself some serious coin.

Edited by craigdritchie

those americans are going to enjoy the 25% tarrif we put on maple syrup and rye whiskey

this is a great heads up...does anyone know if this includes boat parts and components? Im running an american made boat myself and am now concerned that any parts that i purchase would have this additional tarrif.

Yes, it includes boats, boat components and replacement boat parts.

Marine engines are not specifically identified in the tariff list but there is a line that mentions "other miscellaneous products" that are made primarily out of aluminum. Since that applies to virtually every outboard on the planet, they would presumably be included. Same for trailers, downriggers, rod holders, you name it. Basically anything made of aluminum.

Edited by craigdritchie

1 hour ago, craigdritchie said:

IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT BUYING AN AMERICAN-MADE BOAT, you better get on your horse and do it asap. 

A timely hint for anyone in the market  for a new boat right now, thanks. Ironically, I just sold my used boat, they'll be going up in value too as people turn to the used market. I'm still happy with the price I got for mine, but timing is a funny thing.

Edited by Dutch01

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

I welcome the tariffs, maybe we  can build own again with Canadian labour,

They will just move it to china.  With Ontario in such a noncompetitive environment moving here is tough.  Once it leaves nothing is moving back.

tariffs only hurts the end consumer.  Governments get more money and industry just passes on the cost.  If US has 20% tariff and Canada puts a 20% tariff this is a equal business environment.   No winner

turn off the oil pipeline tap, build our own refineries, stop softwood lumber exports , let them denude their own forests because im sick of paying 5 bucks for a 2x4 stud while the same stick from the same company in canada ,in the usa , costs 1.00. 

time to take the gloves off and use our natural resources for our advantage, stop giving them away

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grt1 said:

turn off the oil pipeline tap, build our own refineries, stop softwood lumber exports , let them denude their own forests because im sick of paying 5 bucks for a 2x4 stud while the same stick from the same company in canada ,in the usa , costs 1.00. 

time to take the gloves off and use our natural resources for our advantage, stop giving them away

I agree. 

36 minutes ago, LeXXington said:

They will just move it to china.  With Ontario in such a noncompetitive environment moving here is tough.  Once it leaves nothing is moving back.

This is why we need to level the playing field with tariffs or be willing to give up a lot of what we take for granted. Most of my life Canada ran a very healthy trade surplus. 

Recalled more Canadian boat names and these are aluminum too. Growing up in Niagara I saw a lot of Fleet Industry tinners. a good friend's dad ran a Thornes ,  a few Harbercrafts and  everyone had a red Springbok  cartopper in the 60's. The Fleets were made in Fort Erie by an aircraft manufacturer. 

2 hours ago, grt1 said:

Well said.  Time to start producing from our own resources.

The consumer always ends up paying for political games. It would be nice to see Canada move back to using our own resources and it bring the price of some things down.  Unfortunately I doubt that will happen.

4 hours ago, grt1 said:

Well said. Why send oil and buy back gasoline at US $. 

This does not make sense, you hit me, I hit you thinking. On the end we all pay more!

1 hour ago, ketchenany said:

Well said. Why send oil and buy back gasoline at US $. 

basic ignorance .. Canada can't build refineries. Don't build it here not good for the environment.. Send oil (job's) to US refine it send it back to Canada .. oh that's better.

6 hours ago, grt1 said:

I vote you for new Prime Minister. An actual thought that makes sense. Imagine that. If only we could get our govt to think like that. 

S. 

if i were looking for a new boat i'd be looking at a princecraft, aren't they made in quebec? my neighbour has one and believe me, it has taken a beating but it still is holding up and not leaking.

Just now, grt1 said:

if i were looking for a new boat i'd be looking at a princecraft, aren't they made in quebec? my neighbour has one and believe me, it has taken a beating but it still is holding up and not leaking.

Yup, 1996 and still dry.

2 hours ago, grt1 said:

Yes, Springboks became Princecraft.  Princecraft is now owned by the owners for Mercury Outboards.  Springbok was owned by Alcan.

I went up to the trading post yesterday. Was looking for a new fishing rod. Picked up a St Croix. Kinda my current favorite.

The tag said, Made in USA. I put it down and walked away.

Edited by Dara

St. Croix has always been made in the USA. I do not know of a single rod that is made in Canada at all.

It has been said time and time again. NO one wins in a trade war. a retaliation is always warranted to try and break the other side of their thoughts but in the end, everybody loses.

Edited by Lape0019