Giant carp!!

So I went to the cottage today just to open it up for the season and make sure all was well which it was. I knew I wouldn't have time to do any fishing as I had to come home tonight for work early tomorrow. After cutting the grass getting the pump going etc. I found time to go for a short walk down the road to a place where a culvert large enough for a small tinny to go under crosses the road connecting the 2 sections of the lake. I look down and what do I see giant carp in the 10 to 15lb. range and maybe up to 20 lbs and me without a rod or a camera!! There were a lot of them probably 20 plus I could see about 8 at any one time as they swam around in the shallow bays I am guessing spawning it is a very shallow weedy area I fish musky on my lake and I am not sure my tackle would have held up to these beasts. I saw something like this maybe 20 years ago in my lake Lower Buckhorn where a back bay was completely full of these giant carp to the point of you could almost walk on their backs there was so many hundreds if not a thousand it was incredible. So I don't know if this a good thing or not but I might need some bigger tackle and a bigger boat!!! LOL!!

Kawartha Kev

Years ago I took my former son in law and one of my fishing buddies out for some spring bass fishing on a bay off of Lake Erie here. We caught 3 carp while fishing with tubes for bass, those 3 carp had to be over 100 pounds total weight, and I am guessing well over a 100 pounds.

Big powerful fish, and we were using spinning tackle and 8# test line, I doubt we would have landed any of them if we hadn't been able to follow them in the boat.

Commercial fishermen net them here, which is sort of a sight to see. The ones we watched had sort of a barge with slat sides they towed with another boat, they would fill it to the point were waves were washing over it.

Water pigs, I think they will eat anything.

If you happen to tie into a carp at this time of the year try smoking it like you would any salmon or trout.  You will be pleasantly surprised, no need to catch them just to fertilize the garden.  You can use the scraps for that.

43 minutes ago, Kawartha Kev said:

I'd actually love to hook into one of these monsters just for the battle but I don't think I would ever cook one up for dinner I'm pretty much catch and release anything that I catch.

Kawartha Kev

I had a bigger boat at one time that I kept docked closer to the Erie islands west of me, those tanks seemed to have no trouble at all jumping clear out of the water during the spawn, never really saw one do it any other time. LOL, they used to bounce off the sides of our boats while docked.

The big ones we caught were early in April, the water was cold and they were sluggish, but it was sort of like tying your line to a truck. They would wack a tube just like a smallie, but you knew as soon as you set the hook it was no smallie! LOL You couldn't budge them and the line just started peeling off. I had to turn my bow mount on high and follow them or they would have probably spooled us.

LOL, sad to think that the biggest fish any of us 3 ever landed was a carp!

This is why you need a large spool bait runner. Try feeding them pieces of bread by throwing it to them...after a few days put a hook in one piece and test your new baitrunner out! :) Sadly the hook in bread trick only works a few times in one area

Edited by scuro2

6 minutes ago, scuro2 said:

This is why you need a large spool bait runner. Try feeding them pieces of bread by throwing it to them...after a few days put a hook in one piece and test your new baitrunner out! :) Sadly the hook in bread trick only works a few times in one area

LOL, you need to try here!