Boat trailer dog tracking

boombap

I have a 16.5" deep v aluminum.. I trailer it everywhere. I had a leaf spring blow out close to home a few weeks back.. I was 10 mins from home so I drove on it, there was still 2 leafs intact.

So I replace both leaf springs, trailer rides great except it pulls to the passenger side big time.. I have to keep my truck on the left side of the lane so the trailer doesn't run away. Beside's chewing up the tires fast.. it's pretty annoying to tow, MPG's are taking a big hit too. Looking at the trailer it seems like both wheels are pointed towards the right (passenger side) which would explain the dog tracking. It's a simple single axle trailer, no brakes... is it possible I warped my axle towing it home on 2 springs? I thought about taking it to a alignment shop.. but what is there to align? If the axle is bent I'll just replace it. Anyone got a clue as to what is going on? Thanks.

How are the springs attached to the trailer?

On some trailers the mounts are able to be moved forward or back to adjust tongue weight.

It sounds like one could have moved if they are adjustable.

When you put the new springs in did you get the center rivet that holds the leaves together into the hole on the axles spring pad?

If not the axle could be out of alignment.

Third it could be a bent axle.

To check alignment measure from the center of the hitch to the center of the hub on either side.

The measurements should be equal if in alignment.

I had a spring go and a bent axle on my old trailer.  Yes it's possible.  It also ate my tires on the way home from north bay.  In my case I believe it was a bad pothole that broke the spring and did in my axle.  Is it possible you had something similar happen? The remedy was new springs both sides and a reworked axle at my local welding shop.

Edited by porkpie

Yes, the little hole on the leaf springs is centered with the axle. 

The axle out of alignment? or do you mean it could be bent? I really don't have much time to tinker with this before my long trip for bass opener. Can anyone recommend someone to take a look at it in the GTA? I'm usually pretty hands on with this sort of thing, but my patience has come to a end. 

I'll take some pics and report back.

Edited by boombap

I seriously doubt you bent the axle to the tune of 5 inches.  Somethings not quite right, maybe an optical illusion, but it looks like the spring length from front mounting point to axle center is longer than axle center to rear shackle.  Secondly, as far as I know, the "U" bolts are not to be re used,  I don't know the reason, google it.  Third, your rear shackle mount in the second picture looks to be on a tilt.   I definitely wouldn't have that on the road, MTO or the LEO's could spot that a mile away.

Just tossing this out there, is one spring flipped end for end?  The locating pins on the leaf springs aren't necessarily centered between the eyes so if the left is 2-1/2" forward of centre and the right is 2-1/2" behind, you'd be out 5" side to side......

Edited by G.mech

57 minutes ago, G.mech said:

Just tossing this out there, is one spring flipped end for end?  The locating pins on the leaf springs isn't necessarily centred between the eyes so if the left is 2-1/2" forward of centre and the right is 2-1/2" behind, you'd be out 5" side to side......

Ya, that and the axle is less than 96 inches, it should be pretty easy to slide a straight edged object along the axle and look for a bend, it seems one of that size should be pretty obvious?

Edited by OhioFisherman

11 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

Ya, that and the axle is less than 96 inches, it should be pretty easy to slide a straight edged object along the axle and look for a bend, it seems one of that size should be pretty obvious?

I think Stevie Wonder would be able to see a 5" bend even without a straight edge!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, G.mech said:

I think Stevie Wonder would be able to see a 5" bend even without a straight edge!

Hahahahaha, I can just imagine the poor guy following, Martha why is that trailer trying to turn right all the time.

1 hour ago, G.mech said:

Just tossing this out there, is one spring flipped end for end?  The locating pins on the leaf springs aren't necessarily centered between the eyes so if the left is 2-1/2" forward of centre and the right is 2-1/2" behind, you'd be out 5" side to side......

I thought about that too, but I had to bite my tongue.

Last week bought a axle from Nandoo Trailers in Hamilton $225.

I have a tandem trailer and took me 30 mins to replace old one.

Not a mechanic, just removed tires, ubolts and put axle on.

Lined up with center bolt on springs and put new ubolts on, done.

6 hours ago, G.mech said:

I was wondering the same thing. 5" is a big difference. And yes, that hanger looks bent to me as well.

A pic of the other spring would be helpful and the hanger.

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

Yes that will make sure that the tires/rims are parallel to the frame if the axle stubs are okay,  still have to measure center axle stubs to center trailer tongue to make sure that's equal.

Not really....if both wheels are parallel to the frame and the same distance to the frame rails then the axle must also be centered and square.  If one end of the axle is further from the ball then then the tires won't be parallel to the frame.    The only way the tires could be square but the spindles unequal distances from the ball is if the axle is bent equally and in opposite directions on either end that is but this is highly unlikely....

2 minutes ago, G.mech said:

Not really....if both wheels are parallel to the frame and the same distance to the frame rails then the axle must also be centered and square.  If one end of the axle is further from the ball then then the tires won't be parallel to the frame.    The only way the tires could be square but the spindles unequal distances from the ball is if the axle is bent equally and in opposite directions on either end that is but this is highly unlikely....

True, but the brown stuff happens, if you have the ruler out, may as well check.

15 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

True, but the brown stuff happens, if you have the ruler out, may as well check.

agreed.... 

I grew up building stock car chassis where the wheelbases were intentionally different side to side, rear end housings  were offset, skewed, and cambered, front caster and camber were different on each side, and wheel offsets were different on each side of the car.....that was geometry 101 until 'puters came along!