Spring 2018 pike fishing June updated pics

msp

Here are my pike pics from last week. Put in a lot of hours on the water visiting numerous water bodies in Central Ontario. Jerk baits and swimbaits got most bites. The fishing was actually pretty tough as I think the big females were in recovery mode. 

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1744.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_5997.JPG

IMG_5993.JPG

IMG_1776.PNGGot out two more times to close out the spring pike season. Got re aquanted with a couple lakes that I have not fished in years. Felt good to put something together. I assumed that the water temps would have skyrocketed but was suprised to see the temps sitting around 66 up until last weekend. The big fish were completely post spawn and biting real good.  The fist lake we found plenty of fish on shallow sand flats in about 1 to 2 feet of water. The second lake set up different with fish closer to deep water on new weed growth . The smaller fish in the 10 pound range fought amazing , peeling drag on the flipping sticks and bulldogging at boat side. All the rods have been transferred over to bass lures now for the upcoming openers. Can wait for largemouth 

IMG_1799.JPG

IMG_1801.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

Edited by msp
Uodate

37 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

that is a honking walleye

cant wait to get up to G bay this weekend and find them shallow.

They aren't going to be there, lol.    Been a puzzle this spring so far.   Definitely not where they usually are.  

1 hour ago, BillM said:

They aren't going to be there, lol.    Been a puzzle this spring so far.   Definitely not where they usually are.  

damn it...i was hoping things may have changed up a bit now that the water temps have warmed. I havent been up since the opener but on opener they were literally no where to be found. I dont know when you were out last but ive always found that they tend to move back into the bays around may 2-4 when the water has finally started to get into their sweet spot. This year we are a couple weeks behind water temps wise...so i will let you know how i fare out.

Usually early june before the mayfly hatch is somewhat of a magical time where everything is in off the main lake shallow and eating. youll catch anything and everything anywhere.

Edited by AKRISONER

Nice catches, 

I have yet to get out for a full day of spring pike, maybe this weekend on gbay, launch out of honey harbour and see what i can find north. Or the kawarthas, for musky opener. I was out on May 24 with a few small pike on g pool, but spent most of the time doing maintenance on the boat, and changing out the bunks on the trailer. 

Edited by Dan668

8 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

damn it...i was hoping things may have changed up a bit now that the water temps have warmed. I havent been up since the opener but on opener they were literally no where to be found. I dont know when you were out last but ive always found that they tend to move back into the bays around may 2-4 when the water has finally started to get into their sweet spot. This year we are a couple weeks behind water temps wise...so i will let you know how i fare out.

Usually early june before the mayfly hatch is somewhat of a magical time where everything is in off the main like and shallow eating. youll catch anything and everything anywhere.

I think the lack of new weed growth is putting a damper on things, everything is behind this year.    I've found lots of snot rockets but no big girls yet.   Haven't even seen one.  Last place I fished water was 68, with those temps the big girls should have been moved back in after the spawn.    Hopefully you make out better then I have!

4 minutes ago, Dan668 said:

Nice catches, 

I have yet to get out for spring pike, maybe this weekend on gbay, launch out of honey harbour and see what i can find north. Or the kawarthas, for musky opener. 

I'm sure we might fish some of the same pikey water north of HH.  Goodluck, I've blanked so far this spring.   My one spot that usually has 6ft of weed growth by now has zero, lol.   Always a big girl or two hanging around there.

22 minutes ago, BillM said:

I think the lack of new weed growth is putting a damper on things, everything is behind this year.    I've found lots of snot rockets but no big girls yet.   Haven't even seen one.  Last place I fished water was 68, with those temps the big girls should have been moved back in after the spawn.    Hopefully you make out better then I have!

cant wait to get out and try and find em!

Was back out this past Saturday and the water temps were up to 64. Getting too hot too quick. It was a tough bite for sure. Getting similar reports from friends as well. Just have to go when you can and hope you hit it at the right time. 

Nice fish Mike! It was a weird spring. They seemed to be all over the place. We got more snot rockets this year then I've ever seen. On lake O I think most big fish spawned earlier than I thought and left. This year we saw only a few larger fish shallow. Still saw some fish spawing opener lake O as well. Up north fish were scattered too. The biggest fish we saw followed out of 25ft of water casting into open water yet we got some decent fish shallow too. Maybe get out again for a day or two in the late fall.

well, the number of willing snot rockets was just ridiculous this weekend. Caught more than i could count...I took my girlfriend out softwater fishing for the first time in her life on saturday. I taught her how to use a spinning reel and it came with a warning..."You are going to catch a big friggin fish today, i guarantee it...its your first time out...its just how its going to be. I will be here to guide you through the process, just be prepared"

She proceeds to catch a pike on the third cast of her life and then...

we found the queen and it ended up being the exact same fish as my buddy caught last spring. Shes grown up a little but looks to be in good health. 32 inches, id put her around 10lbs. I guess she didnt learn though, the A 5 of diamond spoon was her nemesis again.

My girlfriend is a natural, her demeanor is such that she never gets overly excited about things even when she is very excited...she is calm and collected. She hooks into this pike and just says "scott i think ive got something big" she handled the thing like a pro. Hook perfectly in the corner of the mouth. Threw in the jaw spreaders, pupped the hook out and let her relax in the net aquarium. Couldnt find the damn fish glove so it was a bit much to ask her to hold her prize considering she had never held a fish in her life. I picked the girl up for a photo and off she went like a friggin bullet. Maybe we will meet up again next year.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

Great fish. 

How do do you rig your swimbaits? Do you have a treble at the back as well?

I like to attach a short piece ( about 1.5 inch ) of 100 pound fluorocarbon to the shank of the hook. with a treble hook fixed to the end . I attach with crimps. I find that the stinger hook is better when on the top of the bait for two reasons. One, less mortality on the fish because the hooks usually get buried on the roof of the mouth. Two because you can get the bait through weeds and wood much better.

20 minutes ago, BillM said:

Nice job man!!!    I'm heading to the land of giants on Thursday,  I'm hoping to find the 50in'r that broke my heart a few years ago.   

Good luck ! Catch a big hen !